Snakes, spiders and scorpions - a problem?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonnaA

Reaction score
Posted this question in my introduction to this forum but am asking it here also in case others may look here and offer additional/different ideas.   Hubby and I are considering being on the road (retired) part of the year including boondocking.  it appears that many of the free places to stay are in the desert.  please share your experiences with critters like spiders, snakes and/or scorpions.  how concerned should we be?  how best to handle it.  advice on this subject is appreciated.  thanks so much.  donnaA - from Vancouver, Wa

Those critters are not just in the desert.

The best way to handle it is to never put your hands and feet in places you can't see.

Highdesertranger

Better to hear from those more experienced long timers than me but fwiw been several years in Az, seen one rattlesnake only thanks to my dog moving toward it.  Blessing in disguise for us as got me to researching and now carry benadryl for dog on walks.  Could be useful for me too, and of course there are other remedies, OTC, homeopathic, however your preference runs.

Hoot said:
 . . . as got me to researching and now carry benadryl for dog on walks.  Could be useful for me too, and of course there are other remedies, OTC, homeopathic, however your preference runs.

Don't know what benedryl will accomplish; it is an antihistamine.  Rattlesnake bite is an injection of venom into the tissue and/or bloodstream.  It is not an allergic reaction.  It damages the blood vessels and stops blood clotting.  Only counteraction is anti-venom and that within 4 hours.  If left untreated small dogs can bleed to death and larger dogs will have major tissue damage.

Better to get your dog snake avoidance training.
 - and/or -
There is a vaccine for dogs for rattlesnake venom.  Makes the symptoms and damage less and extends the time you have to get it to a vet.

That said, in 55 years of hiking, camping, foraging, cutting wood, running fence line, etc. in snake country I have only seen a few when I wasn't actively searching for them.  They are actually good eating - tastes just like chicken  :p

Yes, you are indeed a problem to the snakes , spiders and scorpions. You should be considerate when you are in their territory and stay out of their way. Don't come so close that you step on them or look as if you might step on them. Do not threaten them. Do not walk into their nest, dont stick your hands in their holes. Don't wake them up when they are taking a nap in the warm sun.

Donna, most of us stay in the desert in the winter when the bugs and snakes are in hiding. You just don’t see them. By the time it starts getting warm enough for them to come out we have started moving north to cooler climates and out of the desert.

Do you plan to do this or will you stay in the desert all summer also? Some people do that but only those that are WAY tougher than I am.

highdesertranger said:
Highdesertranger-thanks for the advice-i agree. - donnaA

Those critters are not just in the desert.

The best way to handle it is to never put your hands and feet in places you can't see.

Highdesertranger

Hoot said:
Hoot-thanks so much for the info.  have rec'd many good answers.  will be as careful as possible.    -donnaA

Better to hear from those more experienced long timers than me but fwiw been several years in Az, seen one rattlesnake only thanks to my dog moving toward it.  Blessing in disguise for us as got me to researching and now carry benadryl for dog on walks.  Could be useful for me too, and of course there are other remedies, OTC, homeopathic, however your preference runs.

Spaceman Spiff said:
Spaceman Spiff-thanks much for your thoughts and opinions.  we will be as careful as possible.  yours and other's ideas are helping us have a plan if we decide to boondock in desert areas.  -donna A

Don't know what benedryl will accomplish; it is an antihistamine.  Rattlesnake bite is an injection of venom into the tissue and/or bloodstream.  It is not an allergic reaction.  It damages the blood vessels and stops blood clotting.  Only counteraction is anti-venom and that within 4 hours.  If left untreated small dogs can bleed to death and larger dogs will have major tissue damage.

Better to get your dog snake avoidance training.
 - and/or -
There is a vaccine for dogs for rattlesnake venom.  Makes the symptoms and damage less and extends the time you have to get it to a vet.

That said, in 55 years of hiking, camping, foraging, cutting wood, running fence line, etc. in snake country I have only seen a few when I wasn't actively searching for them.  They are actually good eating - tastes just like chicken  :p

maki2 said:
maki2-good advice and i'd be happy to steer clear of them.-  donna A

Yes, you are indeed a problem to the snakes , spiders and scorpions.  You should be considerate when you are in their territory and stay out of their way. Don't come so close that you step on them or look as if you might step on them. Do not threaten them. Do not walk into their nest, dont stick your hands in their holes. Don't wake them up when they are taking a nap in the warm sun.

You'll probably have harder times with rodents that can cause great damage to your engine. Highland Stranger had the best advice to watch where you're putting hands and feet. A good example is stepping over a log or rock without knowing what's behind it. Good pair of cowboy boots also comes in handy preventing snakes from puncturing your skin and delivering the venom. Like others I haven't seen snakes etc. Worst I ever got was I had a blister stink bug land on my neck while in Texas. It left an impressively large blister on the back of my neck.

Latest posts