Scorpions and Spiders

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last year I found the best of both worlds up at the warehouse while moving stuff...not a scorpion, not a spider...it's a Spider Scorpion!  The picture I took is on a 2x4, so it's not a small bug.

When I picked up the wood and this thing scooted around a couple feet from my hand, I didn't give some sissy man-scream! It was much more an incoherent bleating as I dropped the wood and jumped backwards. You can see that even after being flipped over, dropped, and harassed, this guy isn't shy...he's all puffed up ready for action. When we poked him with a stick, he went after the stick.

Fortunately they aren't common...I showed the pic around town for days before anyone could identify it or say they'd seen one before:

Spider%20scorpian_zpsnexvynxe.jpg

Google image close-up:

Fear+you+say+this+is+a+nope+spider+scorpion+_482c4e77a73ba82dc6a9fdfea5b53077.jpg

Vinegeroon or whip tail scorpian. They emit a vinegar odor to protect themselves, actually its an acid, they have no real venom. The tail is not a stinger. Yes, the are huge but not as badass as they look.
These are not uncommon at all, just elusive. Makes you wonder what else is out there.
PS, I've only seen them out in Az, didn't know they were in Florida.

Almost There said:
I'd kinda like to see one just out of curiousity but my chances are very low!

I'm only in the southwest when they're hibernating, I don't leave my shoes laying around outside and my towels never come close to hitting the floors in the showers.... :rolleyes:

Well, I left a pair of rubber sandals out down by the Colorado River last year and Ivy removed a chunk for me..... :D :D Now I'm much more protective of my footwear!!!

See how awesome dogs are? you thought she was just exercising her teeth, but she was teaching you desert survival
LOL

I have to admit, my reaction to spiders and scorpions isn't very 'macho', I want nothing to do with the critters and if they're in my dwelling, they must leave or die (small jumping spiders excepted, so long as they stay small and unaggressive. Snakes I am ok with, so long as they keep their distance, but spiders too close are a freak out, probably due to having been literally covered with daddy Long Legs in a storm sewer once
No bites, but holy crap it was creepy

jimindenver said:
Please if you see them, point them out. I wanna take some pictures up close.

I recently saw this guy toodling around the edge of the parking lot of an Albuquerque trailhead I frequent. I've been here for most of the past 8-years and this is the first one I noticed.

View attachment 9867View attachment 9868

Why would a full grown human want to kill helpful things that are so much smaller, such as spiders and snakes?

ccbreder said:
Why would a full grown human want to kill helpful things that are so much smaller, such as spiders and snakes?

Because, from an evolutionary prospective, fear of creepy crawly things such as spiders and snakes helped us survive to become full grown humans.

Intellectually, we know that these things are helpful in many ways.  But, emotionally, we know that these things might bite/sting us, causing (at a minimum) pain and (at an extreme) DEATH.

ccbreder said:

The Black Widows remind me of an ex wife.

CCBreder:  "Why would a full grown human want to kill helpful things that are so much smaller, such as spiders and snakes?"

People have been taught to fear many things that they don't need to fear:  harmless spiders, harmless snakes, darkness, people with different skin colors, dogs with black faces, black cats, canned food that expired yesterday, new ideas, germs, ad infinitum.

Logic and common sense + many humans is sort of like oil + water.

Yep. Like the little things come looking for us. Nope. We go looking for them. They are so easy to avoid.

This thread has reminded me that I wanted to educate myself a bit about scorpions.  I've only seen one in my life (Las Vegas), and it was in a little cage.

Looking around online, there seems to be quite a bit of info that educational and exterminator sites agree on, so here it is.

There are 40 varieties of scorpion in Arizona, but the most common and most toxic one is the Bark Scorpion of the American Southwest and Northern Mexico, but no deaths from it have been reported in 40 years.  They are extremely sensitive to light.  They can climb any surface except glass (supposedly).

Stings:  If you get one, stop what you’re doing and wash it with soap and water, and then apply a cold compress.  If you’re having an allergic reaction (trouble focusing eyes, random eye movements, trouble swallowing, drooling, tongue feels swollen, slurred speech, dizziness, blurry vision or muscle twitching), have someone take you to an emergency room or call 911.

Ways to eliminate scorpions:

Clear the area of tall grass, junk piles, lumber, firewood, compost piles, rock piles, wet spots.  They like holes in the ground, too.

They mainly eat live insects, so if you can reduce the buffet, you will help to remove the scorpions.  But they only need to eat about once a year, so they may not leave very fast.

To kill or catch them:

Burlap:  They are attracted to moisture, so you can dampen burlap, lay it on the ground or floor, then stomp them, or scoop them up and take them away from where you’re living.

Boric Acid comes from Boron, a naturally-occurring mineral in the soil, and does no harm to soil or water except in excessive amounts.  While this is a poison, it is a low-toxicity poison.  It’s hard to eat enough to do harm w/o doing it deliberately, it isn’t absorbed through the skin, and it isn’t carcinogenic.  Just keep it out of your eyes (corrosive) and don’t inhale the dust.  Wash your hands after handling.  I would put it on the ground around the tires, so they would have to walk through it to climb the tires.  

Mouse traps, either the snapping kind, or the live-catch kind.

Glue boards -  I don’t like these things, because so many other animals can be caught by them (lizards, snakes, birds, cats, etc), but if nothing else works, I would use them... carefully.

Scorpions usually move along walls, so if you’re using traps, place them there.

Natural repellents are Lavender and cedar essential oils; mix with water and spray on likely access points.

Duct Tape (it’s good for everything!):  One guy uses a manual approach:  He sticks a wad of duct tape on the end of an old broom handle and catches/smashes them with it.  And it might be sticky enough for use as a homemade glue board, but I do think Gorilla Tape has a stickier adhesive for something like that.

And that's all I know about that.