Smoky mountains places of interest?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is also a Dog Welcome Center. Asheville is one of the pet-friendliest cities anywhere. This thread has made me want to get down there before winter sets in!

It's very pleasant when cities renovate their old districts, or just keep them in fine shape in general. Good for everybody. There are about a dozen cities in the west that I am very fond of for that reason.

I wonder if you might list them...? I'm going to start my road trip plan, soon. The videos of Oatman were great so it's definite.

Just made trip to that area this past May. Speaking strictly of places between Gatlinburg and Asheville, we greatly enjoyed the Roaring Fork Nature Trail in Gatlinburg (we liked this much better than Cades Cove) and the ride to Clingmans Dome. Also liked the Museum of the Cherokee Indian which was a nice stop during a rainy day(was a toss up between that and the Oconaluftee Indian Village but the rain made decision easier). Wanted to see the Mountain Farm Museum by the Oconaluftee Visitor Center too while in the area but because hubby has to use an electric wheelchair for walking distances and it was raining, had to skip it. Lots of good reviews tho. Also really wanted to see the Wheels Through Time Motorcycle Museum in Maggie Valley (https://wheelsthroughtime.com) but it was closed the 2 days we were in the area. If you like history, there's also the Museum of North Carolina Handicrafts (https://sheltonhouse.org/) on the way to Asheville.

Im making notes of all of these recommendation. so excited about this trip. im taking off work 11/3 - 11/11. i havent taken this many days off in a row in almost 5 years. im seriously burned out and need this so bad. First im going to visit my father in south GA for a few days then im heading to the mtns of north GA. then work my way up to Asheville NC and maybe on up to the Virginia line before i start making my way back west to Nashville. Its looking like the fall foliage will be in full color then.

Ill create a thread and post pics as i travel and make a road report. :)