Smoky mountains places of interest?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matty Van Halen

Reaction score
I am making a five-day trip to the smoky mountains in a couple weeks. I’m pretty familiar with the area, I’ve been there several times but I was hoping some of you could recommend some places of interest to see  anywhere between Gatlinburg and Asheville. Thanks.

If you WW paddle- or even if you don't: [font='Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, 'Nimbus Sans L', Arial, 'Liberation Sans', sans-serif]Nantahala Outdoor Center[/font][font='Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, 'Nimbus Sans L', Arial, 'Liberation Sans', sans-serif] (NOC.com)[/font]

[font='Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, 'Nimbus Sans L', Arial, 'Liberation Sans', sans-serif]It's still doable this time of year, with the appropriate clothes. There are many choices, most white water but Lake Fontana is flat and beautiful. NOC also has events and live music at the craft bar on the property. The trailhead behind the store is AT. Have fun![/font]

It's been many years, but as I recall there is a nice hike to Clingman's Dome up in Great Smoky Mtns Park for a great view.

I lived in both Nashville TN and Charlotte NC, but there isn't really much I can recommend in that area, other than the Smoky Mtn views. There is Dollyland and a Vanderbilt Mansion in Asheville. And always fun to watch people flipping over in Nantahala Falls.

(Liv, I did the Nantahala and Ocoee rivers a number of times, plus Duck, Hiwassee, Little Tennessee, Big South Fork of the Cumberland, French Broad, Nolichucky, Section 3 of the Chatooga, that I can remember. We must have been neighbors at one time, :).

Did you kayak? I kayak flat water but canoe WW. I did the Nanty and Hiawassee. And the one that always smelled like a papermill - ?
But the Ocoee nearly did me...I should never have been on that river. Then, again - it was all so much fun! I miss it.

drive the blue ridge parkway start in Cherokee all the way to Asheville nc fall trees  will be great

The cherokee museum in cherokee, nc. Used to be about $10. Great smokey mountains railroad and model railroad museum.

Yeah, I forgot about the section of the Blue Ridge Parkway in the region.
- https://www.blueridgeparkway.org

Grandfather Mtn near Asheville also came to mind. Great views and hiking trails. The whole area is great if you're in to hiking, Matty. The park and ranger stations would have maps.

The runnable rivers are mostly to the south of the Park, like Liv indicated. The road runs right along the Ocoee River, good sized rapids, and you could likely get a rafting trip. More fun than the Nantahala. As indicated, probably a dozen good whitewater rivers in the area.

(Liv, I did open boating, also Telico many times, let's not hijack the thread).

I don't know if things such as this might interest you but we found it incredibly interesting - Oak Ridge. The history is amazing. The Museum was well worth the visit. Our guide was a child of one of the scientist in Atomic City. May be a bit out of the way but...

There are so many reasons to love the area you're going to. Have a great time!

LivGolden said:
Did you kayak? I kayak flat water but canoe WW. I did the Nanty and Hiawassee. And the one that always smelled like a papermill - ?
But the Ocoee nearly did me...I should never have been on that river. Then, again - it was all so much fun! I miss it.
The French Broad used to smell like a paper mill. True victory, when the "evil environmentalists" succeeded in getting rid of the paper mill, suddenly the French Broad river valley became high-end tourist mecca. Asheville, once a depressed mess, is now...Asheville!!! And the French Broad is beautiful like she hadn't been for over a century. I've been off and on in those parts since the 70s, never seen it thriving like it is now.

The Dire Wolfess

The little town of Silva is worth a stop. Great indie bookstore. I played a concert there a few years ago and was struck by the warmth of the locals. Western NC University at Cullowee nearby.

The Dire Wolfess

Yeah, the French Broad goes right through downtown Asheville, and was the dirtyist paddling water I've ever seen. Glad to hear they've cleaned it up. Other rivers in the area were not bad. Rivers are always fun to look at and camp next to.

If doing a loop, and coming back south of the park and through Chattanooga, another nice attraction is Lookout Mtn.

That must have been the one I remember. the stench was awful but the river kept you busy staying upright to notice much. All I can say is I am a much better swimmer to have done it.  :D

I have driven the Tail of the Dragon, and it is not for the faint of heart.

The upside is that there are professional photographers at strategic points, who take photos of you which can then be purchased off their website.

Kind of cool to have a picture of your rig in action on a beautiful mountain road.

WanderingRose said:
The upside is that there are professional photographers at strategic points, who take photos of you which can then be purchased off their website.

Yes, they do that on the rivers, too. Crazy to be sailing into the abyss only to look up and see some guy hanging on a tree limb with a camera...:)

WanderingRose said:
I have driven the Tail of the Dragon, and it is not for the faint of heart.

Kind of cool to have a picture of your rig in action on a beautiful mountain road.

I think killboy does the best photos.  The resolution on his photos is amazing.  My last trip there you can see the screws holding the belly pan onto the bottom of my goldwing.

sreesekelley said:
.... you can see the screws holding the belly pan onto the bottom of my goldwing.

Hopefully due to 'lean angle', not being upside down! :(

QinReno said:
Now that they've cleaned up the river, I checked to see whether Asheville has some sort of river front artsy district. They have one, but it surrounds a junkyard, a lumber company, and a waste paper company, :). Still probably worth a visit.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/R...458af18deb4e03c!8m2!3d35.5902087!4d-82.569146
Oh, that's what it used to be! Now it's a row of breweries, art galleries, and eateries, all connected by a greenway along the river (and the railroad tracks, which they couldn't manage to move ;) ) All very hip and organic.

The Dire Wolfess