Smallest genny for powering some tools

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VanLifeCrisis

Reaction score
Id like to be able to power a compact router and my mini track saw (not at same time).  What generator would you recommend capable of running these?  Its kinda hard to tell, with listed power usage and generators listing. There have been things my previous genny should have been able to run but was unable.  Id like to know hear from people who actually run similar tools.

Some tools throttle power by switching between full power and off at high speed. I had a reciprocating saw that at the outlet tested around 150-300 watts but plugged into an inverter could only buzz because it's power cycles weren't receiving the expected power.

if you to buy a Honda or Yamaha you can believe the specs. on the cheap off brand ones from China not so much. so what's the highest stated draw of your tools(start up)? I know a Honda 2000 will run a full size skill saw. highdesertranger

You might want to look into the Black & Decker "Matrix" series. Its a cordless unit that has a lot of attachment options including drill, router, circular saw etc etc.

I have a tub of cordless power tools.  Craftsman 19.2 V  They charge up well on my 300a inverter.  There have been a time or two when I wished I had a small Honda Gen.

I would get at least 2000 watt.You may want to run other stuff sometime.Harbor Freight usually has some good deals with a 20% off coupon.I've had a Champion from HF for 5 years and it has performed very well.I think I paid $199 for it.

Its supposedly 7a for router, and 10a for the saw, but not sure what start up is, Id imagine higher.

I have cordless tools as well, but a track saw that is cordless is like 800 bucks just for the saw.

Ill have to check out the matrix router thing....hate to spend money on another cordless system though if i have to buy a genny anyway.

Harbor Freight 20% coupons specifically exclude generators. Now.

You planning on doing some picture framing out in the sticks?

Start up surges can be brutal with some electric motors, especially AC motors.

If your tools do not have a 'soft start' feature, you can use a router speed controller on almost any item to reduce the rpms and thus reduce power draw as well

When I run my tablesaw, ripping 2x4's, I like to collect the Dust in my shopvac.  It also makes for a cleaner cut with the vacuum running.

Problem is that both table saw and shopvac running at once can trip the breaker and usually right at the knot in the board I am cutting.  Then I've got to turn off the saw and vac, back the board out, go flip the breaker back on, and basically refeed the lumber through it again.  Often I give up on the shopvac for the PITA factor of tripping the breaker, and this increases the amount of sanding required and does not give me a whole lot of clean sawdust.
.  My router speed controller on the shopvac not only reduces current draw, but noise as well, and eliminates the breaker tripping and there is no need for the full suction of the shopvac on the tablesaw..

I also use the router speed control on my old made in the USA porter cable router, Angle grinders with flap sanders for shaping wood, belt sanders, and anything I want to reduce the noise of and where full power/max speed is not a requirement for the task at hand.  It really has opened up a lot of possibilities, and I have used it on both my Puresine wave inverter and my MSW inverter too.

My psw inverter is only 400 watts and my angle grinder can take 500 watts and instantly trips the inverter on startup, but I can reduce speed to 9 of 10 and I basically have to try and stall the blade before it trips the inverter. 

Recently I was using it on the router and was surprised just how well the bit still removed wood at much reduced speeds, and allowed much more precision when following  razor lines freehand.
I really like the speed controller.  You might consider one of these if your future generator struggles with any particular electrical motor.  You can start it at a reduced speed and then crank it upto full.

Here is the one I use: 

http://www.amazon.com/MLCS-9400-Sta...pebp=1435437639198&perid=0E0DDZSY9DCZTTTJKQQT

Some say you can just use a regular rheostat that controls ceiling fan speeds or dims incandescent lighting for much cheaper.  They could certainly be right.

I've not opened my controller to see if it just such a device in a convenient package or is is a PWM type of speed controller.

Id like to be able to do some woodworking and wood carving on the road, so im trying to work out how to do it while being mobile. I think its pretty doable. I have a flex shaft/rotary motor, but im leaning toward going with a lithium dremel with flex shaft attachment for carving.

btw the router i have has a variable speed control on it, same thing right?

You run this stuff off your batteries? id figure that would crush em.

A little off topic,but did you ever see the video of Dick Prenake building a house in Alaska.Used all hand tools.

nope, but hats off to hand tool guys. i might try some hand carving but building? nah, takes too long ...viva technology!