Sleeping/keeping warm without heat

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love hammocks for lazing around. They had awesome humongous ones down in South America. I'm so glad that people have mentioned hyper-extension though. I end up on my back during my sleep too often to think they would be doable as a permanent sleeping solution for me. Thanks! :)

anewbiewannabe said:
I love hammocks for lazing around.  They had awesome humongous ones down in South America.  I'm so glad that people have mentioned hyper-extension though.  I end up on my back during my sleep too often to think they would be doable as a permanent sleeping solution for me.  Thanks! :)

Unfortunately people mostly think about the big Brazilian or the backyard style ones when they think of hammocks. Neither were designed for all night sleeping as many who have fallen asleep and then fallen out of the backyard ones' have found out the hard way...ouch!!

There's a whole nother world out there. It's kinda like van-living, you can learn to do it the hard way all by yourself or you can learn from what others have already figured out. There are lots and lots of people who sleep in a hammock all night every night.

I fell into the world of hammocks when I was looking at doing some overnight hiking but then figured out that there was no way my body was going to go for sleeping on the ground any more.

It's opened up the whole of the backcountry to me because now I can go in comfort.

Almost There said:
There's a whole nother world out there. It's kinda like van-living, you can learn to do it the hard way all by yourself or you can learn from what others have already figured out. There are lots and lots of people who sleep in a hammock all night every night.

I fell into the world of hammocks when I was looking at doing some overnight hiking but then figured out that there was no way my body was going to go for sleeping on the ground any more.

It's opened up the whole of the backcountry to me because now I can go in comfort.

Thanks. I loved taking naps, actually I couldn't help but fall asleep because they were so comfortable, in the big ones in SA. I've got 3 different styles here at home, one of which I can take into the woods. Nowadays though, I've got a combo platter of things going on and the hyper-extension is just the surface---the idea of the cat trying to get on it with me at her age is also a consideration. LOL

I've actually been looking at the idea of being able to hang one in the van in case I had extra company. I've seen some of the photos of people in their van hammocks, even Bob in someone else's, so I eyed them to see if they'd be an option. I'll most likely be packing one with me, so who knows... :)

Yeah, those backyard hammocks can be fun/dangerous. :p Had lots of fun tipping them when I was younger. :D

This reminded me, they have tow-hitch attachments so the hanging swings can be used off the van. I need to track them down because I love my airborne lounger. :heart:

Thanks guys, for the encouragement.

But, just to keep this thread on topic, I found it harder to stay warm in the two hammocks I tried, than sleeping on a pad.

(hennessy & a blackbird)

flailer said:
Thanks guys, for the encouragement.

But, just to keep this thread on topic, I found it harder to stay warm in the two hammocks I tried, than sleeping on a pad.

(hennessy & a blackbird)

A hammock will almost always require the use of an underquilt for temps under about 60F.

Some people get away with putting a camping pad under them, particularly in double layer hammocks but most find that they lead to condensation issues.

An underquilt, btw, is exactly what it sounds like. It goes under the hammock and gets snugged up so there is no air gaps and protects you from CBS (Cold Butt Syndrome). It can be anything from an old quilt modified to an expensive down custom made quilt.

A sleeping bag in the hammock with you won't do the same job because you're compressing all the insulation underneath you.

Almost There said:
A hammock will almost always require the use of an underquilt for temps under about 60F.

Some people get away with putting a camping pad under them, particularly in double layer hammocks but most find that they lead to condensation issues.

An underquilt, btw, is exactly what it sounds like. It goes under the hammock and gets snugged up so there is no air gaps and protects you from CBS (Cold Butt Syndrome). It can be anything from an old quilt modified to an expensive down custom made quilt.

A sleeping bag in the hammock with you won't do the same job because you're compressing all the insulation underneath you.

I'm good down into the 50s with just a sleeping bag, no CBS. 

Below about the mid-50s, I was using a camping pad. And yes, I was surprised at the condensation -- bottom of the bag and top of the camp pad were actually wet. Crazy. But merely draping them over the hammock during the day had them dried out for the night. 

When things dropped into the 30s and below, I added a doubled-up moving pad under the camp pad in the hammock, and when things got to freezing and below, rigged up a comforter underneath and invested in a sleeping bag with a much lower temp rating.

For winter sleeping, a traditional bed might actually be better, as far as staying warm goes. Flipside is that the hammock was very cool during a mild summer -- with just a thin nylon layer between me and air, it seemed to provide some wicking/cooling action, and I imagine a fan would be all I'd need to sleep well even in hotter temps.

I've slept as low as 30F outside in my hammock - it wasn't intentional, the weatherman lied... :rolleyes:  with an underquilt and good thermal underwear.

Anything directly under you between you and the hammock is going to be compressed and lose most of it's insulating properties. You're better off figuring out how to rig that moving blanket UNDER the hammock and quit using the pad altogether. It causes the condensation and then, as you know, wet gets colder faster than dry does.

Some people take their sleeping bag and put it around the hammock so that it's like a cocoon but I'm not sure how they get rid of any air gaps.

After a while of rigging blankets and trying to deal with sleeping bags inside of a hammock, most go to a top quilt/under quilt combo because it just works so much better!

I want to get one of these hats for sleeping so it can tie under my chin and it won't come off in the night:

inca-green-hat.jpg

I just use a hoodie sweatshirt so that it doesn't fall off. I have trouble with things tied around my neck even when I'm awake.

My brothers must have tried to strangle me one too many times when I was a child... :D

Almost There said:
I've slept as low as 30F outside in my hammock - it wasn't intentional, the weatherman lied... :rolleyes:  with an underquilt and good thermal underwear.

Anything directly under you between you and the hammock is going to be compressed and lose most of it's insulating properties. You're better off figuring out how to rig that moving blanket UNDER the hammock and quit using the pad altogether. It causes the condensation and then, as you know, wet gets colder faster than dry does.

Some people take their sleeping bag and put it around the hammock so that it's like a cocoon but I'm not sure how they get rid of any air gaps.

After a while of rigging blankets and trying to deal with sleeping bags inside of a hammock, most go to a top quilt/under quilt combo because it just works so much better!

Meh -- what I got going on is working for me at the moment, all the way down below zero deg F. Now that I have it down, I am loathe to change... at least this season. But there's plenty of time to spend perusing hammock forums between the end of this winter and beginning of the next, and I'm very open to a more simple system, so chances are good I'll have something different and better rigged up for next year, probably some kind of insulated sock/cocoon setup. 

But I actually enjoy sleeping in a bag, so regardless, that will remain part of the setup. 

Also prefer a hoodie to a beanie. 

I've been sleeping with the heat off for over a year in Alaska. Been fairly mild, but its easy to be warm when your sleeping under covers, much harder to be warm while awake and moving around. What I would like to get is a fur hide/blanket for my head. The frozen condensation is really good for getting woven fibers wet, and I think that it would be easier to shake the ice off fur than it would be to melt the ice out of a wool blanket. I've got a healthy pelt growing out of my face, its much easier to dry than my pillow is.

907KHAM687 said:
I've been sleeping with the heat off for over a year in Alaska. Been fairly mild, but its easy to be warm when your sleeping under covers, much harder to be warm while awake and moving around. What I would like to get is a fur hide/blanket for my head. The frozen condensation is really good for getting woven fibers wet, and I think that it would be easier to shake the ice off fur than it would be to melt the ice out of a wool blanket. I've got a healthy pelt growing out of my face, its much easier to dry than my pillow is.

Lol. Funny stuff. Got a healthy pelt growing as well. Would rather it be frozen then sopping wet. I think a frozen beard ends up being warmer

I refer a hoodie as well. Mine is so comfortable i wear it next to my skin. It is large enough to pull down over my face, thus my shoulders, neck, head, ears & face are well covered.
But the beanie pulls down totally covering my eyes & ears, better. My own little Isolation Chamber.

I cant keep a beanie on my head all night long.
http://www.furhatworld.com/beaver-fur-suede-russian-ushanka-hat-p-349.html

This ties on and the top flap has snaps on it, fold it down and it goes to the tip of my nose. I haven't worn it this winter though, I just cover my head with the second sleeping bag and make a breathing tunnel.

I shouldn't look at that website, I really want to buy that full sheared beaver hat. I could buy a plane ticket somewhere worm for that kind of money.

when I was living in an RV years ago in Northern New Mexico it got quite cold at night and I didn't want to run the heat all night, so I would wear lots of layers, definitely a hat, and my dog wedged in bed with me. Not the dog I have now, but my last dog who loved to cuddle. Dogs kick out a bunch of heat! Peace!

I agree with sister earth, having a dog in bed with you is like having a bed heater. highdesertranger

907KHAM687 said:
I cant keep a beanie on my head all night long.  
http://www.furhatworld.com/beaver-fur-suede-russian-ushanka-hat-p-349.html

This ties on and the top flap has snaps on it, fold it down and it goes to the tip of my nose.  I haven't worn it this winter though, I just cover my head with the second sleeping bag and make a breathing tunnel.  

I shouldn't look at that website, I really want to buy that full sheared beaver hat.  I could buy a plane ticket somewhere worm for that kind of money.

Cheap full head/face/neck cheap ski masks or balaclava's can be found at sporting goods stores and online.

I like these:

http://intertrademart.com/p/Apparel_Accessories_Winter_Items_Ski_Mask_One-hole_w_peak_4310.html

I have one of these: http://www.exmask.com/psolarhx.php. The core warming heat exchanger heats up your insides, making life a lot more comfortable. I can't afford t allow my lungs to get dold, but I can't use the heat exchanger for very long. It gets me pretty toasty. If I were out in the winter, I would start both the night and morning using it.
In my bed in the house, I sleep on a thick terrycloth towel between flannel sheets. Over that is a double layer of flannel, 2 wool blankets, a thin cover, and another layer of flannel. I use a terry cloth hand towel over my head most nights.
I have the van set up right now with a closed cell ground cover on plywood, then one sleeping nested into another, and a flannel sheet in the middle. I've been pretty comfortable so far with just the sheet and one bag partially over me, but I do like the top of my head loosely covered.
Ella

I was just thinking about this thread today & wanted add what's this guy did as a solution for sleeping in the cold. He built an insulated box / cooler to sleep in.