Sleep *below* platform, not *on* it.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seav

Reaction score
In my first van, I had a very cool bed design. I cut a vent in the bottom of a back door, and slept UNDERNEATH a platform in the rear – where most people would sleep ON – and the cool night air would draft right across my head and up and out of the roof vent. It would stay cool down there long after the sun came up, and would be hot just above the platform.

Great Post and Good Safety!
I have done this similar action in my SUV. I got this tip from a traveling safety forum. Fortunately I'm small enough to squirm under a couple of strategically aligned plastic shelves.
Using the the "Platform" as coverage and bag storage; and using the underside as a sleeping area keeps the sleeping person(s) out of view. Especially good tip for lone females.

My dog does this on a hot day. Jumps off my bed and gets on the floor, where it's much cooler.

That would require a degree of limberness I don't have. Get down on the floor, scooch under the platform, scooch back out, get up off the floor... I'd be like one of those "I've fallen and I can't get up" people.

I would say make sure you have two ways to get out. If your only exit was out the back door and it jammed, you would be in a predicament.
If I had the head room I would have a bunk bed using the top bunk for storage.