Size Doesn't Matter

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A key thing about the 21+21 combination is that parking spaces are 19'-22' long, so you can put the trailer in one, and the truck in the other. A lot more flexible than a 42 foot motorhome, even if the length going down the highway is the same.

Alas, looking at 5th wheels all the ones I like are 45 feet by themselves! (I am kidding, but not by much.)

Technomad said:
A key thing about the 21+21 combination is that parking spaces are 19'-22' long, so you can put the trailer in one, and the truck in the other.   A lot more flexible than a 42 foot motorhome, even if the length going down the highway is the same.

Alas, looking at 5th wheels all the ones I like are 45 feet by themselves!  (I am kidding, but not by much.)

Thank you Technomad. Apreciate it.  We have to give up some comfort to choose the 22' over the 24' - it is surprising what 2 feet can do.  I could not do 45 LOL.

rm.w/aview said:
Well put, Christine. Regarding the RV, going as small as you can comfortably can be beneficial. Not saying going small is the goal above all else, primarily because of storage limitations, but finding that happy place regarding size & mobility may bring more location opportunities. Happy Trails!

Thank you.  Yes, we've been researching trailers for 4 years and will likely buy this year.  We are working on a trailer YouTube video on 15 to 25 foot trailers and explaining what we've learned to provide a crash course.  We used to have a little Chalet A-frame folding trailer and we LOVED it.  I could turn it around in the driveway.  The next video after the one we are working on will target those sizes and light weight trailers that cars can pull.  It is snowing right now and I can't sell the class B until I don't have to worry about the roads and test driving especially since my arthritis acts up and I have walking disabiliies.  Once that sells we will make our final decision.  We want to check out the spring RV shows.  We went to the January Denver Colorado RV Show.  Our top 2 contenders were found there but I had gone to see one of them.  The other was new to me and it's between if I can afford 2 axles vs 1.  Might have to go used other models.

One factor not mentioned in this debate is fuel prices. If prices go up a lot, I'd think a lot of people would think about making adjustments.

becida said:
People living in cars are people living in cars, it sounded like you were going to go camping.. This is YOUR life, don't worry about those people who like less or those who like big-bright-shiney-new, they are living THEIR life.

I don't watch many videos, I'm on the road & my bandwidth is limited. I like a couple of good paragraphs and some pictures, that takes care of most everything.  
Most everything but not all,  opening my laptop to fix the power inlet was done with me watching a 6 min youtube video!

Since I've been on the road (Nov 2012) I've found my biggest problem is too much stuff. I still have a hard time with that.
Good luck.

I love YouTube, it has saved my sanity.  We are going 22' about.  We are used to small campsites in forests and places along the Oregon Coast.  We might even have to disconect the truck and park side by sometimes.  We will be gone a minumum of 2 years, possibly longer.  No storage unit.  I've looked forward to this for at least 40 years and have waited and waited and waited so I am going to make sure I can be as comfortable as possible.  If I want to oil paint or draw I will.  Or read.  Or try to hit a beer can with a sling shot.   Or use the metal detector I wished I had had that time I lost my ruby and 14k necklace at a campground, or take photos and videos or do vlogs and blogs.  Yeah, I would rather have a plastic tub to hold my clothes in than a heavy wooden cupboard because that wood being not there means I can take more toys.  So I think we'll start off in a cargo trailer and add minimu and then later add more if we want after willing to give up more toys.