silversmithing in Quartzite

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wagoneer

Reaction score
Through the years I have collected a lot of silver in the form of sterling flatware from sources like Goodwill and the fleamarket. I want to re-purpose these into my own jewelry ideas.

That sounds really neat...are you going to melt them down? I've watched some youtubes where a guy used a handheld torch, cermic bowl and wooden molds. Tho for bars nit jewelery

I've seen a couple places with flatware art. Some pieces were imaginative shelf/desk items, some wearable.
I don't see why you can't sell some of yours. People like unique things.

Are you set for a place to sell??

Since there are about 5000 different types of flatware with about 200 of the styles being much more valuable than the others have you researched the valve. It reminds me of that show where people buy a vase for $10.00 at a garage sale and find out its worth $7,000. Not telling you your business. Just don't know your experience level.

Not sure if you're wanting raw materials to work with or if they're usable for you in their current form, but I always send my silver scrap to Rio Grande to be recycled, you get credit for it, depending on the current silver price. I always get more wire and sheet, but I'm pretty sure you can also get cash if that's more useful.

They also have an outstanding tool selection.

The planetwide gem show is happening next month in Tucson, so I bet lots of jewelry/rock/metal people are already near you! Maybe one of them could get you what you need. When I go, I'm going to be on the lookout for the gemcutters, has to be a way to run a faceting machine from an rv!

the link is www.riogrande.com

This is just my opinion so don't hate it...

Gold is good...silver sucks and I can't afford gold to play with anymore! This is from a working with perspective, I just checked and my Journeymans Ticket still reads Goldsmith! Okay, so where's my gold??

That said...you can make some awesome jewelry out of the old silverware with simple hand tools and yer imagination. And the old roach-clip made from a fork still sells out fast at the "head shops"....they take all I can bend up and pay me cash instead of the consignment I have to do with the actual wearable art.

As above, I agree, send what you don't want that has no individual piece value to a pro shop for melting down, there was a lack of consistency in the amalgam in old silver and it can get real messy to melt it yourself. Getting new wire/sheet/cash in the mail is a joy, even if its sucky silver...*smile*

ETA - if you find a faceter for the rv...send me a link

hippiechk said:
This is just my opinion so don't hate it...

Gold is good...silver sucks and I can't afford gold to play with anymore! This is from a working with perspective, I just checked and my Journeymans Ticket still reads Goldsmith! Okay, so where's my gold??

That said...you can make some awesome jewelry out of the old silverware with simple hand tools and yer imagination. And the old roach-clip made from a fork still sells out fast at the "head shops"....they take all I can bend up and pay me cash instead of the consignment I have to do with the actual wearable art.

As above, I agree, send what you don't want that has no individual piece value to a pro shop for melting down, there was a lack of consistency in the amalgam in old silver and it can get real messy to melt it yourself. Getting new wire/sheet/cash in the mail is a joy, even if its sucky silver...*smile*

ETA - if you find a faceter for the rv...send me a link

Whats a "Roach clip" ? Is it a roach castration tool? Help me out.:D

I won't be smelting any Spratling hand made mexican chocolate servers or 18th century antiques. Just plain Jane forks and spoons from the 50's and 60's. I used to sell it at the flea market but getting 75% of melt was getting old. And this is something I really want to learn and do.

certainly not a new idea but....

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf243922.tip.html

I always hate how the silverware is loose in the rows of the plastic drawer organizer so at home I used pieces of 1/8 inch thick steel probably 2x3 inches or so with 3/16 vertical steel pins brazed to it to hold the silverware in neat stacks. I know all current silverware is of varying dimensions to some degree but just an idea. Could a spoon, knife or fork replace the metal piece in my design and have vertical pins or pieces of other items silver soldered to form the vertical alignment pins? Maybe it would ruin the finish. With the steel pieces I made I just painted them flat black.
Flat finish is my friend in some projects. :)