silly question.. but how to power vent fans?!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cptnsunshinee

Reaction score
This is probably really obvious but I'm pretty clueless... Can a fan-tastic fan or something of the sort be powered from the car battery directly? If not, what's the best/easiest way to run one?
Also any opinions on the fan-tastic ez-breeze fan? Apparently it is "the all new revolutionary fan"...
I'm gearing up to hit the road again in a week or two and learned my lesson after waking up nearly suffocating for five months straight... that I really need a vent. 
Any help would be so greatly appreciated, thanks!

Unless you're a very attentive person who would monitor the charge of your vehicle battery, it's not a great idea to run anything off the vehicle battery unless the engine is running -- in which case you're essentially using the vehicle as a generator.

Instead, run the fan with a dedicated battery that is recharged by solar or by using the vehicle's charging system while you drive.

You certainly can power these fans from the starting battery, BUT! you also can forget the fan is running and drain the starting battery beyond the point that it will start your vehicle. That's just one down side. If you employ a device that will shut off the fan before draining the battery your a lot better off, but your still really abusing the starting battery.

so a choice you need to be comfortable with.
A separate battery would be preferred, along with isolated from the starting battery, yet charged from the vehicle.

Others here will certainly post up more detailed ways to do this.

Oh that whiz bang new fan from Fantastic is just a different design that does not use a cover that has to raised and lowered. Nice but I'm not so sure they can move as much air as the standard fans that have been around.

MikeRuth said:
Oh that whiz bang new fan from Fantastic is just a different design that does not use a cover that has to raised and lowered. Nice but I'm not so sure they can move as much air as the standard fans that have been around.

The fan itself and the opening it blows through are about half the diameter of the ones on their previous models. So unless that thing is screaming, I don't see how it can flow as much air.

You could power it from a jump box. Battery booster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unless you have a large group 34 (100 ah) or larger start battery , the fan will drain it quickly. At high speed it uses 3 amps.  I have the endless breeze fantastic fan and even at 3 amps it moves enough air to keep me cool.

These fans are just car radiator cooling fans that are run at lower amps, The fantastic fan would be even more powerful if it wasnt amp regulated but then it would be consuming almost 7 amps, and it's life would be reduced. Thats the only reason these fans can run for years.

MrNoodly said:
Instead, run the fan with a dedicated battery that is recharged by solar or by using the vehicle's charging system while you drive.

or both if you can

you can just use your starter battery but run the risk of draining it flat and damaging it so a second house battery is recommended

WalkaboutTed said:
There are direct solar power attic/marine fans. Like this:
https://www.amazon.com

I suggest you read the "answered questions" and comments on that EcoWorthy fan you listed above, pretty poor reviews and very low cfm airflow seemed to be the issues.  I've been looking for an alternative to cutting the 14" square hole in the roof of a van, there does not appear to be anything else workable that I have found.

You could buy a couple of skeeter-beater screens, and then hang a really small muffin fan, plugged into the cigarette lighter plug, from the top of the door opening. This would move some air...but nowhere near what might be needed, depending on where you camp and what the temps are overnight.

You can leave the windows up about 3/4 so that there is a small opening at the top, and the screen would keep bugs out, but of course, this is not a good idea for urban camping.

It might work fine in the boonies or the woods, again, depending on the temperatures.

A small muffin fan, or computer fan, draws very little power, and is fairly quiet, and inexpensive.

Thanks for the info, everyone! I've been procrastinating my solar plans for no good reason so I'm just going to go for it and install a system this week! I ordered a couple 100 w Renogy panels just to finally make a decision on the matter. Luckily I know a couple folks who can theoretically provide some insight... Now just to decide between fantastic or maxx and what the heck kind of battery to use. Little by little. Appreciate the responses :)!