Sikaflex/polyurethane foam and PVC adhesiveness?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canine

Reaction score
How well does Sikaflex 252 adhere to a flat PVC stud? Or would you recommend a different adhesive?

Here is that stud I'm talking about:

http://ecostud.com/

Polyurethane spray in foam insulation has some adhesive properties and provides a small amount of structural integrity. How well would it hold to the same PVC stud?

You might want to contact the manufacturers of Sikaflex and ask them. That or peruse the data sheets on the product. Or contact the manufacturers of the PVC stud to ask them what adhesive they recommend or check out their data sheets.

interesting, I don't have an answer but I am going to follow this thread. highdesertranger

TMG51 said:
I think a polyurethane base construction adhesive would be your best bet, as it is rated for a permanent bond on PVC.
http://www.quikrete.com/ProductLines/PolyConstructionAdhesive.asp#

Sikaflex 252 is a polyurethane based adhesive. Even if that is a recommended product to adhere to PVC, I wonder what prep work and primer it needs. PVC is so smooth that I want to make sure I do a good job.... After doing some research on Sikaflex specifically, I found that abrading the two surfaces to be mated is important, then applying Aktivator 205, then applying Primer 206, then the 252. However, these directions aren't specifically for PVC. The variety of adhesives, primers, and activators, and how they will bond two different substrates is amazingly complex. This question really is for Sikaflex first hand.

Compassrose, I'll have to contact Sikaflex to get a good answer from the horses mouth. They have tested a few adhesives; PL Premium was one of them (that is like a cheap version of Sikaflex that still has outstanding adhesive properties on a variety of materials.) and it performed well. EcoStud says any quality construction adhesive is recommended. I might just go with PL Premium because it is much cheaper and I can get it locally. I had tried asking for Sikaflex 252 at a hardware store and they didn't know what I was talking about. Construction, while a learned trade, is not rocket science, yet every time I ask a "professional" a question that is a bit out of my realm, I get blank stares.

I want the best, but I'm not sure I want to spend 3X the amount. I wonder if Sikaflex that much better than PL Premium?

Canine said:
 I might just go with PL Premium because it is much cheaper and I can get it locally. I had tried asking for Sikaflex 252 at a hardware store and they didn't know what I was talking about....

I want the best, but I'm not sure I want to spend 3X the amount. I wonder if Sikaflex that much better than PL Premium?

I have used Sika 252. That stuff has an expiration date on it and a very short shelf life. It it is too close to the expiration date (or past it) you will not get the stuff out of the tube. Mine was within 2 months. I threw the tube away and bought something else. That was a lot of money to pay for 1" of useable product in the tube. Last time I ordered any online. Maybe in bigger cities? The short shelf life is why you won't find too many folks selling it unless they are selling it quickly. I like PL adhesives. You can buy them in many places. I suggest the 3X or 8X stuff. We have also used the PL subfloor adhesive (not on subfloor) as well.

I do not like Liquid Nails products. I do like Loctite products.

I'm not sure which Sikaflex product they are, but I've seen them At both Home Depot and Lowes. They are usually with the concrete patching products near the pro desks. My only experience with the brand is using their caulking to fill large cracks that need to remain flexible - really good stuff. As for gluing PVC of any variety, you definitely need a primer to soften the plastic for the glue to work - there's a better technical explanation out there someplace - but that is basically what you're doing.