sidewinder at Ehrenberg

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know what laws people are talking about. out west you can kill a rattlesnake anytime, anywhere, for any reason. now that doesn't mean I automatically kill every rattlesnake I see. but does anybody have a link to a law that says you can't kill a rattlesnake. highdesertranger

justbreathe said:
Hahaha! Thanks for giggles.

Get a walking stick and hit the ground as you go. The vibrations scare them off. Or so I'm told...

Lol, just like in that 60's movie "The Parent Trap"

speedhighway46 said:
When you go for a walk, make sure Mr. Smith and Mr. Wesson accompany you; they saved my life with a rattlesnake years ago when I was out in the desert for a hike.

Not dissing that, but I doubt many would use less than 6 bullets to nail it.

What about those .22 shot shell, better option for those not able to aim straight on the first shot?

Wanderer said:

What about those .22 shot shell, better option for those not able to aim straight on the first shot?

I grew up in the N~CA hills and valleys.  A snake is not something I fear.  Most of them are more afraid of you. When out walking I have a stick to flip snakes away with.  

As for laws, Lets go with AZ.

5 of the 18 species / subspecies are protected by law.

http://jrreptile.tripod.com/id44.htm

Utah, only 1 of the native species can be killed, and then only if you are threatened.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=1288&sid=30461694

Texas

http://southwesternherp.com/protectedspecies/texas.html

The point is to make sure where you are, and what kind of snake it is.  In CA there is no limit.  In Missouri I read about a man who killed the snake that bit his child, and brought to the ER for identification purposes.  He was arrested by the possum cops.

Wanderer said:

.22 shot shells would be useless.  The shot is too tiny and the power too low.  They were designed originally for balloon popping and other carnival games rather than any serious purpose.

CCI sells shot shells in serious pistol calibers; .38, 9mm, .40, .44, and .45.  Any of them would be far more effective.

That said, I agree with GotSmart.  Snakes that aren't some kind of immediate threat should be left alone.  You're on THEIR turf, they didn't ask you to come and bother them.

The various sporting goods companies - Cabellas, Gander Mountain, Bass Pro, etc. - sell snakeproof gaiters for people who hunt pheasant and other birds in snake country.  If you're really worried about snakes, investing in a pair of them would be worthwhile.

Regards
John

PS:  Be thankful we're not in Australia.  They have over FIFTY varieties of deadly snakes, and the deadliest North American snake wouldn't even make it into their Top Twenty.  With some of theirs, you're dead within seconds of being bitten.

Wanderer said:

You can get shot loads for nearly all common revolver chamberings, which are going to be much more effective (larger spread, greater velocity and mass) than one of those .22 shot shell pepperings. Someone sprayed my car with one of those once and a couple of the little pellets embedded in the plastic wheel flare and that was about it.

But no caliber will do you any good if you're not paying attention. And like GotSmart suggests I would rather just flip a snake away with a stick if I'm paying attention.

Garlic, clove and cinnamon are natural snake repellents. :) Get some clove or cinnamon essential oil and put a few drops in a spray bottle of water. Spray your area every few days. :)

More detail of my Close Encounter of the third kind with Mr. Rattlesnake:

I was out hiking among these huge house-sized rocks just north west of Indio, California. I walked around the side of one of these rocks and stepped right up into a rattlesnake 3 feet away. He started rattling; I started shaking. I reached on my hip for my little .38 snubby, pulled it out and shot twice. Hit him the second time. Blew him back about three feet. He stopped his noise cause he was dead. The rattling sound was immediately transfer to my knees.

I was shaken at what had happened in an instant:

I didn't care about laws

I didn't care about the downline offspring of this snake not knowing their father

I didn't care about the lawmakers in Sacramento and what they wanted

It was an instant reaction. I am convinced I would have been bitten.

That's my story. I was there. It was 1971; its still is vivid in my memory

Sometimes, something has to die, and I didn't want it to be me.

Last thing I want to do is kill any form of wild life unless my survival requires it and this guy was just on the hunt.....otherwise I doubt he would have been out. In hunting mode I don't think ANYTHING will deter any kind of reptile from going anywhere it senses food, so best to be very aware and let it do it's thing. Esp. night time I always check and recheck esp under the CT doorway and truck with a bright flashlight if I need to go outside. I will get a walking stick and some snake shot in case my dogs and I are surprised and as far as the laws go, I will make the appropriate exception in a potentially deadly situation.....Big Bro doesn't need to know. Given my encounter, I think there was probably a rodent around my camp munching on some spilled dog food kibble and the snake was after it. Now I account for any spilled food and any dishwater with any food residue, (I use white vinegar and hot water....no soap) I discard fairly far from camp. My dogs have been vaccinated and just got aversion training as a precaution......just need to retest soon.

Make a simple Snake Stick from a wood pole and steel rod bent in a flattened hook.   If Mr. Snake comes too close, hook him and relocate him.  Let him live to do his job.
I killed snakes in my younger days.  Now I just move them.

speedhighway46 said:
More detail of my Close Encounter of the third kind with Mr. Rattlesnake:

I was out hiking among these huge house-sized rocks just north west of Indio, California. I walked around the side of one of these rocks and stepped right up into a rattlesnake 3 feet away. He started rattling; I started shaking. I reached on my hip for my little .38 snubby, pulled it out and shot twice. Hit him the second time. Blew him back about three feet. He stopped his noise cause he was dead. The rattling sound was immediately transfer to my knees.

I was shaken at what had happened in an instant:

I didn't care about laws

I didn't care about the downline offspring of this snake not knowing their father

I didn't care about the lawmakers in Sacramento and what they wanted

It was an instant reaction. I am convinced I would have been bitten.

That's my story. I was there. It was 1971; its still is vivid in my memory

Sometimes, something has to die, and I didn't want it to be me.

Same thing happened to me back in the early seventies, I was at a park playing football with my friends when a squirrel ran out of the trees and onto the the field and right towards me. I didn't have a weapon with me so I just turned and ran as fast as I could, I am convinced to this day that it would have attacked me and caused me serious harm.
Even though that was around thirty five years ago, I mean forty five years ago (still traumatized) I wake up in the night screaming reliving it. I am just glad nothing had to die that horrible day.

Well, maybe next time it will be a rattlesnake and your story will be just like mine. But, I do love to eat squirrel . . .

when I was young and growing up in the hills of WVA. I would catch copperheads an give them to the snack handlers church. I am older and know.... better now.

speedhighway46 said:
Well, maybe next time it will be a rattlesnake and your story will be just like mine. But, I do love to eat squirrel . . .

I would not mind trying snake myself.

GotSmart said:
I would not mind trying snake myself.

Go to one of those Chile cook-offs in Texas.  Some one there is sure to have rattlesnake chile.

Regards
John