Shower brainstorming

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VanLifeCrisis

Reaction score
Looking online i found some cheaper solutions to the insane shower walls etc that wouldnt fit anyway. One guy used linoleum over ply with contact adhesive spray, caulked her up and was good. said it lasted him ten yrs. i was wondering if i applied corogated plastic sheets similarly, you think that would work? How about just straight plastic sheets (not like trash bags, thick semi stiff sign type). my work tosses a bunch of plastic signs and one or two coroplast signs every month. they are white on opposite side, so....free white walls? thoughts?

hell after an election day you could fine enough coroplast in front yards to do a whole van or ten

I'm planing on using FRP (fiberglass reinforced plastic) from Home Depot, about $20 a sheet. FRP is easy to work with, waterproof and has rails and corners you can buy(also cheap). I plan on using both nails and glue to attach it to the studs I already have up.

I have a sign shop, and I'd think coro-plast or any of those similar sign substrates would work just fine.

But I would only use FULL SHEETS!! Don't even consider using a bunch of small sheets and putting silicone between 'em...it'll just leak like hell!!

what kinda work do you do???

i was looking for those but couldnt remember what they were called! Thanks! do you know the interior dimensions? im trying to fit a loo in there as a seat.

I waterproofed a plaster wall to convert a tub into a shower by using swimming pool paint. It is a rubberized paint that is used on concrete pools. It is not an epoxy but a one part coating. Epoxy should work. Just paint plywood walls.

hmm about 50 bucks but probably the easist solution, awesome.

as an aside, home depot has way more stuff than lowes...dang..

oh nvm, lowes has it for 40. they have frp too but its 37 a panel :\

Been thinking about this, myself.

Our TC has a wet bath 36"x43", but it has a 23"x36" counter top with snk, which we really don't need. The toilet takes up 21"x20", leaving 21 x 16" to stand and shower. Enough, but uncomfortable. The floor was in sufficiently supported, which resulted in cracks n the shower pan. Did a temporary fix, but...

Still thinking. If I get time to do the project, between many others, I'll post it. For now - keep coming up with ideas!

looking into the cheapest/easiest way to get hot water in there ...i guess on demand propane and a pump.

I was debating between that one and the eccotemp...the reviews say the shower head is crap so i was leery but it had overall good review score. Which pump do you have? the flojet one seems to be pretty good for 50$.

The two heaters are the same, made in the same factory, both are good. Shower head has been great so far, the mist is great for relaxing muscles with HOT water.

FloJet is what I use for my pump.

Corky

Anyone ever measure the amount of water used in a reasonable shower application, no dilly dally just wash? When in my house and shower in the tub I close the drain and guess.

wagoneer,
Using the mist setting at 45 lbs pressure I use about 0.75 gallons a minute. There are times when I just need the HOT shower and the water is just what it is. You can use the head to stop and start the water to save water if you need to.

Corky

That's not bad at all, I have gotten used to low pressure water showers
even having the choice of the higher city pressure and a big water heater, I am guessing 4 gallons for about a three minute shower.

i lived in a cabin with a 5 gal hot tank, so i learned to be quick and concise lol

Daz,
If the WH is propane, I'd replace it with a tankless in a heartbeat and move it to the mobile when the time comes!!! Nothing is better than all the hot water you want when you want it!!!!!

Just hang the unit on the wall and enjoy!

Corky

I get about six minutes of hot shower out of a seven gallon water carrier, with a little left in the bottom.

Propane use is next to nothing because there is no pilot light. I've been using the flash heater from a 20lbs tank for six months and there is still about one third of tank left.

I haven't even gotten to the point of considering a 20lb tank yet on my build. I'm still tucking my batteries up under the side of the van :)
Any idea if this unit could be used with a 1lb can on a temp basis?