Short Queen Mattress

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djkeev

Reaction score
I've recently acquired a 2003 Dodge LWB Conversion Van which I will be converting to what will be in essence a rolling hotel/guest room.

I've no need for a dining table that converts to a bed so I'll simply be making a sleeping platform in the rear with storage underneath via drawers or cabinets, some (most?) of it accessed via the vans rear doors.

This Sportsmobile drawing shows the bed location I desire and shows 73" in length...........

Anyway, I'd like a good mattress.
I don't care for foam beds or memory foam beds..... Too hot!

I'd like a Queen size bed back there but the standard 60" x 80" size just doesn't fit.
Realistically side to side space is about 73". I could place the bed lengthwise but that claims a lot of precious floor real estate! I need to fit in a bathroom too.
We're both 70" or less tall so sideways sleeping would work utilizing every fraction of that available 73".

Where to get a quality odd sized mattress?

I stumbled upon Michigan Mattress who will make whatever I desire.

http://michigandiscountmattress.com/mattress_custom_odd_size.php

Yes, I know they aren't cheap $$ but good bedding isn't cheap, then add custom sizing.......

Anyway.....
Any feedback on them ?

Thanks!
Dave

I don't know of the company you are asking about but, I used to haul for Sealy Mattress and after seeing the cost to make them vs. what they charge the consumer(the Sealy Posturpedic I bought then was $1200 in the store and I got it for $325 in the mid-90s) I've been buying foam blocks ever since and cutting them with l electric carving knife. It is "good" bedding and custom sized. I need something firm to sleep on without my hips feeling like they've laid on bricks all night.

I can't sleep on hot materials either so I've been using a couple of fitted sheets sewn together with one end using Velcro as a washable mattress cover to cover the foam with. Then on top of that I have a quilted down mattress cover then a sheet over that. That quilted down cover makes all the difference! It takes care of any heat issues and instead of paying a grand for a mattress the most I've spent is a few hundred dollars. I'm a DIY mattress gal now.

There are other kinds of materials now that are claimed to keep you cooler but I haven't tried them. That down mattress cover has worked so well for 7 years and lasted so long I haven't tried anything else.

We've bought several mattresses from Original Mattress Factory.
They make their own mattresses, so they can make one in whatever size and firmness level you might want.
They seem like good value for money, but they are more expensive than a value city or big lots.
If there's one near you, I would recommend at least checking them out to see what they'd charge you.
https://www.originalmattress.com/locations

http://www.foamorder.com/custom-cushions.html

My medium firm foam mattress came from here, 9 years ago:

Still just as firm in the middle as on the edges.

In my opinion regular mattresses with their springs are simply to help ventilate the mattress from below, and help take some of the work out of vigorous sex.

Every time I sleep on a regular bed I wish for my Van's bed instead.

my camper uses a short queen size matress but i put whatever fits in the space and the rest is storage area like extra blankies and sheets towels and some evening wear. Short queens are common here in San Francisco lol

Headache said:
I've been buying foam blocks...

Sounds like something I want to consider. Any additional info. on foam types, sizes, cost, sources, etc. much appreciated.

Since this is the thread about bedding I needed to ask some questions. I need to throw out the old mattress and i am thinking about buying a 4 inch thick piece of foam. My question is this: Should i buy a 4 inch piece of foam then buy a memory foam topper to make it plush, or just go with the foam only? Where do you guys and gals buy your foam? on line? What type of foam is best, or at least your opinion on what you think is best.

Let me say Bob and others have been the inspiration for me to take the leap and get a rig and now i have one!!! Man am I stoked ! I plan to use the next 5 months or so to work all the bugs out and get everything like i want it. The first order of business is get a decent bed and throw out the crappy mattress. The foam seat cushions around the dinette are original I think and they are next on the list to go to the dumpster.

Two days ago I bought a 1994 seventeen foot  Gulfstream travel trailer for $2500.00. Everything works ! the only thing I have found that does not work is the bathroom exhaust fan. There is a lot of cosmetic stuff to deal with but I think it is a pretty solid rig. I plugged up the trailer connection for lights and all the turn, stop, and clearance lights were working. That almost never happens when you buy a used trailer.  I am hopeful at this point. Turned on the water pump and there is running water without any leaks. I looked at a new cargo trailer to convert but just a bare trailer is more than what I paid for this sweet rig. This saves me a ton of time and expense because everything is already there. I was hoping to find something that fit my budget and I think I did great. I have enough left over that I might be able to get some kind of a small boat

I have always dreamed about having a rig I could go to the lake and park for a week. Go to the National Forrest and just chill out for a while. It has taken me 40 years to get here but the day has finally arrived and it feels pretty good. No more roughing it sleeping on the cold hard ground and cooking over a smoky fire. I can relax and enjoy my little rolling campsite.

have a short queen,12 inch thick mattress to give away.It's in excellent condition and almost new.It came with the camper when I bought it last winter.Me and Vic like memory foam so are going to replace it.I'm near Branson Mo.,if anyone wants it.

djkeev said:
I've recently acquired a 2003 Dodge LWB Conversion Van which I will be converting to what will be in essence a rolling hotel/guest room.

I've no need for a dining table that converts to a bed so I'll simply be making a sleeping platform in the rear with storage underneath via drawers or cabinets, some (most?) of it accessed via the vans rear doors.

This Sportsmobile drawing shows the bed location I desire and shows 73" in length...........

Anyway, I'd like a good mattress.
I don't care for foam beds or memory foam beds..... Too hot!

I'd like a Queen size bed back there but the standard 60" x 80" size just doesn't fit.
Realistically side to side space is about 73". I could place the bed lengthwise but that claims a lot of precious floor real estate! I need to fit in a bathroom too.
We're both 70" or less tall so sideways sleeping would work utilizing every fraction of that available 73".

Where to get a quality odd sized mattress?

I stumbled upon Michigan Mattress who will make whatever I desire.

http://michigandiscountmattress.com/mattress_custom_odd_size.php

Yes, I know they aren't cheap $$ but good bedding isn't cheap, then add custom sizing.......

Anyway.....
Any feedback on them ?

Thanks!
Dave

All I did in my second conversion van was go to Ikea, and buy a 4" think futon mattress which was 74" X 55". It fit nearly perfectly in the back of the Dodge if I removed one of the side ribs. (Its 69" rib to rib, 74" wall to wall)