Share what you do for $$

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
vagari said:
I teach online part-time and trade stocks part-time.

I've always wanted to learn how to work with stocks. (buying, selling, trading, and whatever.) Maybe someday I can build up some sort of retirement nestegg from it. Heck...it might even be fun too!

Is this something YOU yourself teach, or can you suggest a reasonable on-line class for it??

THANX!!!

Patrick46 said:
I've always wanted to learn how to work with stocks. (buying, selling, trading, and whatever.) Maybe someday I can build up some sort of retirement nestegg from it. Heck...it might even be fun too!
Is this something YOU yourself teach, or can you suggest a reasonable on-line class for it??

Stock trading is something I have taught myself by reading articles, etc. Most brokerage accounts have wizards that search for stocks meeting your criteria. I use these then tweak them to fit my needs.

I have two basic strategies:

Buy struggling stocks that were once very high but now near their all time lows. It's more RISKY and you have to do due diligence when researching. You have to make sure the company likely needs to restructure their business and not file bankruptcy (hard to know).

Buy dividend paying stocks. I own several stocks that pay monthly or quarterly dividends. I'm not buying to sell at a profit (although sometimes I do), I'm buying for the dividend. I think this is safer and can be built up to generate a decent monthly income but it takes more time.

investing in the stock market is a lot easier than you think. The only rule is to buy low and sell high.

vagari said:
Stock trading is something I have taught myself by reading articles, etc. Most brokerage accounts have wizards that search for stocks meeting your criteria. I use these then tweak them to fit my needs.

Yeah, well, I have a hard time grasping certain concepts without proper instruction. Once someone shows me how to do something (hands on training), then I'm usually able to take it and run from there.

...but to teach myself by reading this stuff would make my mind melt!!! :p (reading Shakespere would be easier ta me!!)

Like these here computers...

I can operate 'em OK. I have a few forums I yak on, and I can buy junk on e-Pay

...but even after being on-line for over 20 years now, the simplist things like formats and Gigs make me go, "HUHHHHH???????????" :huh: :s :(

Zil said:
The only rule is to buy low and sell high.
That's often harder to do than you'd think. Since I retired 5 years ago I've had time to follow the market, and I've done pretty well. I'm up about 50%. I have some basic rules I try to follow. You never lose money selling at a stock's all time high. It's good to have cash in your account, that way when a buying opportunity comes along you have cash to buy. I think we're in for a major correction, so I'm mostly in cash. One stock I've kept is RGP. I bought it at 22.54 a couple of years ago, now it's at 31.90, and it's been paying a 7% dividend. I also have a little SLV, which is silver. I figure it can't go to zero, and if it goes down I'll buy more. Instead of dividends, I sell "covered calls". That is to say, I bought SLV at 19.95, and I sold an option to buy my SLV for 20.50. I got .29 / share for the option. If SLV is over 20.50 on August 22, my SLV will be sold for 20.50. If it is under 20.50 on Aug 22, the call I sold will expire worthless, and I keep the .29 / share. This way I make about 12% "interest" on SLV. So even though it doesn't pay a dividend, I "make" my own dividend.

It's fun! It's what the hedge funds do.

AAPL. Growth potential plus cash dividends. Just an idea to consider among many. Currently trading under 100 after the 7 for 1 stock split recently.

caseyc said:
Apple computer, they've been a great stock. I don't like them because Steve Jobs is gone. Apple fired Jobs, then almost went broke, then brought him back. Without Jobs, I believe they're just another technology company. I bought some Radio Shack today (RSH), which is a big gamble. I didn't buy much so if they go broke it won't hurt that much. But, I think they have a good chance of turning around. Silver took a big hit today, over 2%, so it might be a good time to get in. Next time I buy silver I think I may buy SLW instead of SLV.

Both my husband and I are writers: we have our own websites and we both write books. I'm deep into the third in a cozy mystery series I sell on Amazon (you can find them by typing in Zana Hart), hope to have it out by September. I've had spells of doing well with the fiction, spells of selling practically nothing.

I've also been exploring mturk, just playing with it so far, as a possible adjunct... I can't really write much later in the day, that needs a morning brain!

Drive trucks right now for a living, but I have been thinking of getting the passenger endorsement so I can drive a bus. Then in tourist season I can get a job driving tourists around and get paid to see the sights and get unemployment for the winter. It will be a clean job compared to the job I have now.

Spirituallifetime, not only cleaner, but you will get tips!!!

I think that's the ideal job for a vandweller! Imagine driving bus into Zion or Denail NP every day!

I have a good friend who drove the shuttle vans for a rafting company every day. He loved the job but he was also a very outgoing guy so he laughed and joked with the passengers and told them the insider secrets to visiting his area and when he saw wildlife he pulled over so they could watch. He said he made more in tips than he did in wages!

I gave tours (picked them up at the airport and drove them around in an old school bus) one summer in the Eskimo village of Kotzebue Alaska which is north of the Arctic Circle on the Bering Sea. I went fishing with the locals and helped them skin seals. I remember that as the best summer of my life! I made more in tips than I did in wages!
Bob

I am a young and fortunate owner of a 1985 Toyota motorhome in great condition. I'm one year out of a master's degree program with loads of debt to family and Uncle Sam alike but have a great white collar job as an analyst for a paratransit agency. I live and work in a very expensive, highly desirable university town with an affordable housing crisis. What area doesn't have one though?

I've always been interested in vandwelling/RV-living and was led to this site in search of inspiration and education on that process. My vision is to get out of my rental situation as soon as possible to stop throwing my money away, buy cheap rural land within a half hour of my job but far outside the city, park my RV on it, dig a latrine, and start building a house as money from my FT job flows in instead of taking out a 30 year mortgage and paying the principal loan amount twice thanks to interest. My partner and I share an affinity for RV-living but are nervous about the possible strain on a relationship that comes with sharing a 96 sq. ft. living space. [/size]

Toy-Mirage, you really need to post this as an introduction, otherwise it will just get lost in this thread. Here is what you should do:

1) Highlight and copy your above post.
2) Go to the Newcomers Corner forum and click on "New Thread:"
3) Paste this into the editor and post it.

We'd all love to meet you and answer your question but that is the best way to do it.
Bob

This is what I do. Dig holes, cover them back up, and pretend nothing ever happened.
On the pipeline, using a directional drill to bore under the Delaware river and route 17 and up a mountain.
6e5b0e1858939efc89ea1c998be9f52f.jpg

f771d5277e6929927395fd6b1078fc5b.jpg

On another pipeline;
e26eaaf91b623230e2b2415a4a5029e3.jpg

Other jobs;
f0020f58276fff0a5cbf43604c392cf6.jpg

This video above was also on the pipeline.
e3ef2327a14173a3b5bcf7bb9ca2b5e7.jpg

87198efb46bed467c667be2025c190f4.jpg

b046bdef9f2726f69d47abedeff6dc32.jpg

38414804dbb475919aadc47d27d757f3.jpg

The above machine is my favorite to work with : )
ead9c98315dbe7a108bc55d0c5abd227.jpg

It was very cold above.
c7568f28e9eebac0c06942c84a104f50.jpg

Sorry, I guess the video was too long, it didn't upload.

That orange EX looks like one heck of a machine. It could bury itself with one scoop! :)

The drill head? That's what we used to finish the 32" bore.
Yea, the hoe...if I can ever lift that bucket I'll be able to finish the job : )

I'm in my mid-40s, still 20+ years out from retirement age. Original vandwelling plan was to hit the road from Maine at the end of the summer and head to warmer climates for the winter, FL, AZ, SoCA, etc. This was when I was still a full time bicycle mechanic. When it gets snowy and cold in ME winters, bike shop hours get cut way down and cycling is in-season in warmer places. Figured I'd be a migrant mechanic, following seasonal employment. Spring and Fall, while mobile, look into WWOOF (http://wwoof.net/) opportunities between North/Summer and South/Winter stints. I can also fit a basic bicycle workshop in my van, so there would be opportunities on the road for mobile bike repair anywhere I decided to stop for any length of time -- I see lots of bikes strapped to RVs...

However, things change and a former employer I made contact with regarding a reference on my resume offered me my old job back. More pay (met my "sell-out" price), less hours/responsibilities, something I didn't hate doing -- publishing production management. However, this is a 4-5yr commitment, so migrant traveling has been tabled indefinitely. I still do PT bike work over the weekends to keep skills sharp and to receive employee discount on bikes, bike parts... And while I'm currently working out of the Newburyport MA office, we have an office out on the West Coast in SF.

I discussed my vandwelling situation with my boss and a longing to get mobile. Was pleasantly surprised when he offered up the office shower toward hygiene needs, and agreed with a plan I'd been scheming on ever since I took this job back -- hitting the road in the Winter and heading out to vandwell in SF for a couple months before returning to the East Coast. There's also an outside chance that I could turn freelance project production management into a portable job as well.

This past weekend was the last weekend the bike shop is open on Sundays, cutting my PT hours there in half, but through the Fall, I'm getting back in with my ex-in-law's beef farm as a meat cutter, and will be learning slaughtering as well. ...Which could be useful as a skill to bring to the table in possibly WWOOF situations; meat cutting is also a great skill for potential seasonal grocery work.