setting up

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadDawg22

Reaction score
I enlisted in the Marines when i was 17 and just recently got out, figured i'd like a break. got a job at the local jail as a corrections officer, got an apartment for me and my girlfriend and took on the task of taking care of her and her kid. well she chose the best thing to do was overdose on drugs and get her kid snatched up by the state and put me in a pretty depressing situation. So i started exploring options on what i wanted to do and vandwelling or something closely related is it.

My goal is to come up with some kind of setup that i can live in for a while and pay off my debt that has added up from that past relationship and finally be able to travel and actually see the country i fought for.. for a good while i toyed with the idea of purchasing a camper shell for my dodge ram 1500 and winging it that way for awhile since its nearly payed off but i don't think space wise it would work out too well as well as tenting it out in the Virginia mountains in the upcoming season.

Anyway, i'm glad to have become a member of this community and any advise or help on getting started is highly appreciated, my lease ends march of next year so i'm hoping to be on my way in the very near future. if i had the van and setup now, i'd just pay out of my lease but unfortunately money is money.

Attachments

• 309129_106814522820621_217186817_n.jpg
    309129_106814522820621_217186817_n.jpg
    12.4 KB
Welcome and hello. I think it is wise to have a plan of action after a situation that did not work as you planned. Thank you for your service. My 18 year old grandson just joined the marines. :) Jan

First, I want to sincerely (really) thank you for your service. Your are RIGHT... you fought for this country, and you deserve to see all of its most glorious parts. And there are a lifetime full of wonderful places to see.

It sounds like the "normal" American dream did not have a chance, because of the choices someone else made. But you are taking the responsibility for making all your own choices now --- and giving yourself the financial and mobile freedom to follow new paths and find what is right for you.

If you read through the Truck section of this forum, you will see ways that several people do live out of a truck and shell. Even Bob is talking about going back to a high-ceiling empty camper shell on a 4x4 one of these days for the really back-back country he wants to go to.

If you figure out a system you like, are you planning to stay where you are for a while so you have a job to pay off debts? Is that why you are writing about winter in the VA mountains? Being unable to follow the season WILL make a big difference in how soon you might want to take off.

Keep us up to date as you make some choices! And a few folks here will remind you to show us pictures when you begin to outfit your rig. LOL

janncoo said:
Welcome and hello. I think it is wise to have a plan of action after a situation that did not work as you planned. Thank you for your service. My 18 year old grandson just joined the marines. :) Jan

thats awsome. the Marine Corps really was one of the best decisions i ever made, i wish him luck on his career

WriterMs said:
First, I want to sincerely (really) thank you for your service. Your are RIGHT... you fought for this country, and you deserve to see all of its most glorious parts. And there are a lifetime full of wonderful places to see.

It sounds like the "normal" American dream did not have a chance, because of the choices someone else made. But you are taking the responsibility for making all your own choices now --- and giving yourself the financial and mobile freedom to follow new paths and find what is right for you.

If you read through the Truck section of this forum, you will see ways that several people do live out of a truck and shell.  Even Bob is talking about going back to a high-ceiling empty camper shell on a 4x4 one of these days for the really back-back country he wants to go to.

If you figure out a system you like, are you planning to stay where you are for a while so you have a job to pay off debts?  Is that why you are writing about winter in the VA mountains? Being unable to follow the season WILL make a big difference in how soon you might want to take off.

Keep us up to date as you make some choices! And a few folks here will remind you to show us pictures when you begin to outfit your rig. LOL

I'm planning on sticking around where i am once i got a good setup because it should only take me a few months to pay off my debts if i'm living cheap, i work shifts, so i get a ton of time off which will allow me to enjoy some ventures on the Appalachian Trail while i gear up to leave my job here and begin my movement on to other things. Right before i left for my last pump in the marines to Africa. i missed out on a great deal for a slide in camper that i could just fit into the back of my truck it was only 800 bucks and had minor repairs, i'm thinking about keeping my eye out for another one of those. might be a good option for starting out.

Let me start by echoing the others and thanking you for your service.  It is appreciated!

I'd like to see if we can clarify a bit what it is you really want to do.

Are you trying to live someplace urban?  Perhaps keep working at a regular job, while living in a van or RV?  Be able to deal with heat and cold?

Or do you want to give up - at least for a while - steady work and travel instead?  Spend your time in the wild places, boondocking for free? Move with the seasons and weather?

I think you are right that a cap on your pickup is not going to work well for any of the first scenarios.  For that, you are going to want a van for stealth urban living, or an rv if stealth won't be important.

But for the second set of scenarios, a truck you already own and trust and that's nearly paid for could work very well.  Becky Schade over at Interstellar Orchard http://www.interstellarorchard.com/ has been pulling a small, light 16 foot trailer around the country with a small pick up truck.

Check out   for an introduction, and if it looks interesting, read her blog.  You could learn a lot from her.

If a conventional travel trailer is a little too mainstream for your tastes (It is for mine)  check out the Teardrops and Tiny Travel Trailer forum at http://www.tnttt.com/  In particular, check out the Cargo Trailer sub-forum.  It's amazing what you can do with a used cargo trailer if you are a little bit handy. 

Regards
John

Edit:  I wrote this before your reply to WriterMS was posted.  So I didn't see your addendum.

MadDawg22 said:
I'm planning on sticking around where i am once i got a good setup because it should only take me a few months to pay off my debts if i'm living cheap, i work shifts, so i get a ton of time off which will allow me to enjoy some ventures on the Appalachian Trail while i gear up to leave my job here and begin my movement on to other things. Right before i left for my last pump in the marines to Africa. i missed out on a great deal for a slide in camper that i could just fit into the back of my truck it was only 800 bucks and had minor repairs, i'm thinking about keeping my eye out for another one of those. might be a good option for starting out.

Half ton pickups can't usually handle the weight of most slide in campers.  You wind up with an overweight rig that takes too long to stop and handles like a piece of crap.  If a camper interests you, one resource to check out is

http://www.truckcampermagazine.com/

Regards
John

Thank you for your service, we owe you It sounds like vandwelling would be perfect for your situation so you've come to the right place.

The single best all-around vehicle to live in is a van. They can get decent MPG, you can stealth park in the city while you work, have enough room if you are a minimalist and are easy to drive and can go most places in the backcountry.

Your pickup with a taller shell would work, but you have to walk around to get in and that ruins stealth and compromises your safety--although, who would mess with a Marine!!

Another option is to convert a cargo trailer to a home and tow it, but they have very poor stealth and trying to live one while working would be very hard unless you put it in an RV park.

I'd suggest a high-top conversion van that you convert to a cozy little home.
Bob

Welcome home and welcome to the CRVL forums MadDawg22!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

welcome and thank you for your service. great bunch of people here. any questions ask away. highdesertranger

MadDawg22 said:
My goal is to come up with some kind of setup that i can live in for a while and pay off my debt that has added up from that past relationship and finally be able to travel and actually see the country i fought for.. for a good while i toyed with the idea of purchasing a camper shell for my dodge ram 1500 and winging it that way for awhile since its nearly payed off but i don't think space wise it would work out too well as well as tenting it out in the Virginia mountains in the upcoming season.

Hey Dawg, Thumbs-Up for sacrifices made for an ungrateful Nation. The future holds that RV folks, who are not drenched in pop-culture, will sincerely express their gratitude to you.
We never forget the Drill Sgt that gave us spot on guidance to thrive and survive. Go here, give the same attention as you did to the Drill Sgt, and follow along. You will prosper: http://www.interstellarorchard.com/about-contact/
 MRS, Master Sgt, Retired, GoArmy.com

From one veteran to another. Thanks for your service and welcome home.

I too thank you for serving!

Since you've got a 'regular' type job, and are planning on sticking to the same area, but take off on small jaunts whenever possible, or even going for extended trips as well...

I'd like to suggest getting a small travel trailer to live in, and live in it at an RV park..

You'll still have full use of your pick-up truck, with the benefits of your home will be hooked up and waiting for you when you get done working for the day. You'll have TV and internet WIFI service available, and laundry facilities on site too. You'd still be able to hook it up and go camping for a week or a weekend...but then simply putting it back in it's place when you return.

You'll be able to save money, you won't have to build a van or modify your truck, and after doing it for awhile, you can modify it all to however you choose to fit your needs. It's a cheap, easy solution, that'll get you off and running without costing you an arm or a leg.

Welcome to the asylum!

Patrick in Oregon

Best regards, I was in The Corps when Chesty was still a Corporal. Or so it seems. Semper Fidelis. 

Most truck campers are going to be too heavy for your truck, not all but most. Take a look at Capri Campers, they are the favorite of the rodeo crowd, they are not fancy but they are functional. They show up on Craigslist often.

You have a long list of options, decide whether you want a van, trailer or whatever. Just take your time and do it right. 

Thanks for serving.

It all depends on how handy you are and what quality of life and comforts you need. I'm sure you'll find plenty of resources here otherwise I can certainly give you some pointers.

I have noticed that many RV parks (the private ones, not public like SP, NF, COE, etc) are not real fond of truck campers being left off of a truck on the jacks (I don't know why). Also, after living in Southern Appalachia (Nantahala NF, Chattahoochee-Oconee NF, Cherokee NF, GSMNP), I know of several roads (old logging roads that are now generously called access roads) where taking a top heavy vehicle (ie truck with truck camper on it) is not a good idea. I do not live in a van, I live in a skoolie. Therefore I know nothing about anything. Have fun!