Setting up my trailer solar to power camper van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TxGypsy

Reaction score
I pull a 14ft V-nose cargo trailer behind my camper van.&nbsp; The trailer carries my motorcycle, 4 wheeler and other necessities.&nbsp; There is easily room in it for a battery bank.&nbsp; The top of the trailer would make a good area for solar panels.&nbsp; The part that I'm not sure about is being able to hook the battery bank in the trailer up to the 12 volt system in the van.&nbsp; I'd like to be able to completely unhook from the trailer and park it at times, and also when I have grid power available I'd like to disconnect the solar powered battery bank.&nbsp; I mostly use 12 volt in the van and don't need much in the way of 110 power.&nbsp; I use solar cooking or propane.&nbsp; For refrigeration I am using a very small, very efficient freezer with an external thermostat that uses a small amount of power.&nbsp; Otherwise I am using compact fluorescent lights, and a ventilation fan.<br><br>I would like to do this the correct way and don't mind spending the money to make sure everything is set up right.&nbsp; I'd like to be able to use the trailer as the basis for my solar set up at my house in SW Texas as well and be able to hook up some extra panels when I'm there.<br><br>Suggestions?

Anderson power connectors are a good high amperage connector, and there are a few others too which might lock better but I don't know their names offhand.<br><br>In general the wire for the trailer hitch that provides alternator charging voltages to the trailer (and all the signal lighting) from the tow vehicle is pretty inadequate to recharge batteries in the trailer when driving.<br><br>Many that want to make better use of alternator charging of trailer batteries must upgrade the wiring to the trailer to 4 awg or thicker wire and still find the distance and voltage drop is a limiting factor and those distances of thick copper is not cheap. &nbsp;Some choose to run an inverter of tow vehicle battery to power a &nbsp;high amp battery charger located in the trailer and powered by a 12 gauge household extension cord. &nbsp;120v AC does not suffer the same voltage drop as 12vDC. But it is possible that the alternator cannot keep up with the load of the inverter, and it becomes a case of robbing Peter to pay Paul, and starting batteries do not handle being discharged very well. &nbsp;It depends on the tow vehicle and the size of the charger hooked to the inverter whether Peter is robbed or not.<br><br>Keeping the tow vehicle starting battery separate from trailer or tow vehicle house loads is not complicated. &nbsp;There are many different ways to do it, but you should elaborate on what you want to power in the Van from the trailer and visa versa so we might possible help you narrow down the options available.

how many amps will be the highest draw from the trailer battery bank?