Set up a Tarp Over a Vehicle

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myway_1

Reaction score
Would this work to keep the sun from heating up a vehicle (setting up a tarp over the entire vehicle)? Would there be a problem if the wind was blowing? Any other problems?

Attachments

• Anti-male-wolf-Tents-awning-sun-shade-gazebo-car-sun-shade-canopy-large-canopy-camping-tarp.jpg
    Anti-male-wolf-Tents-awning-sun-shade-gazebo-car-sun-shade-canopy-large-canopy-camping-tarp.jpg
    537.6 KB · Views: 25
Well, you can kiss stealth goodbye.   :p  Wouldn't work with solar either.  

It would help keep the car/van cooler, though, just like parking it under trees.

I like the idea may borrow it, keep dog cooler. I think wind would be a problem for sure :)

I am also considering putting bug netting all around the tarp. That way you could set in your vehicle with your windows down and move in and out of the vehicle all the while protected from bugs, sun and rain.

BigT said:
Well, you can kiss stealth goodbye.   :p  Wouldn't work with solar either. 
It would help keep the car/van cooler, though, just like parking it under trees.
Yep, it wouldn't work for the vast majority who have rooftop solar. I intend to use a folding solar kit just to charge up battery packs for my tablet. I can set it anywhere.
Yogidog said:
I like the idea may borrow it, keep dog cooler. I think wind would be a problem for sure :)
Yes wind is a concern. I hope the way the tarp is set up will somewhat deal with that. The usual way is to have a center ridgeline along the diagonal with the other corners sloping down. Like this picture. Anyone know if this is the best way to set up a tarp to deal with wind? 932__59290.1453822505.1280.1280.jpg
Every Road Leads Home said:
This guy has one of my favorite awning set ups. He custom made it and describes how he did it.  He did a really nice job on all aspects of his van in my opinion.  Especially like his bug screen for the rear doors.  I'll be copying some of his ideas on my own build. 
http://www.backroadsvanner.com/all-posts/featured/video-custom-van-canopy-awning-system/
This awning wouldn't work for me in a car but it would be great for a non-solar van.

Attachments

• 932__59290.1453822505.1280.1280.jpg
    932__59290.1453822505.1280.1280.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 8
Can you drive out from under it when you need groceries? Or are you going to put it up each time? Depends how long you plan to stay in the area.

bseek said:
Can you drive out from under it when you need groceries? Or are you going to put it up each time? Depends how long you plan to stay in the area.

All you'd need to do is pull up one of the guy wires and fold up the bug net.

myway_1 said:
Would this work to keep the sun from heating up a vehicle (setting up a tarp over the entire vehicle)? Would there be a problem if the wind was blowing? Any other problems?

Wind would be a problem. Not in the forest of Flagstaff...but everywhere else. In Winslow we had 65 mph gusts and the same in the Southern part of the State. The forest here doesn't get much wind. I think it would be great in the forest if you had your solar panels remote and not on top of the vehicle.

Hippiechk said:
So you want a portable screen room?

Start with a white tarp...

Yes, that's what I want, but large enough to give protection from rain and able to be packed away in a small car. Why is white better?

White, or silver (it must be a proper UV one or its just a grey tarp), have reflective qualities rather than absorptive so it won't heat the enclosure.

Also, check out Aluminet.......https://www.gothicarchgreenhouses.com/shade_aluminet.htm
KinA

Bob has covered this subject on this forum and on his blog. I have a cover that goes over the outside of the windshield, and the two door windows. It is held by loops over the back edge of each front door. It makes a big difference in the sun. Is fairly easy to remove and install.

Have you considered using an "Easy-up"? They don't pack away as small as a tarp and some guy-wires, but they do pack pretty small.
There are many advantages them, including stability and the ability to drive out from under them to run errands.
The 4 legs can be driven into the ground a bit, and then add tie-downs to the ground to keep it from blowing away.

BigT said:
Have you considered using an "Easy-up"?  They don't pack away as small as a tarp and some guy-wires, but they do pack pretty small.
There are many advantages them, including stability and the ability to drive out from under them to run errands.  
The 4 legs can be driven into the ground a bit, and then add tie-downs to the ground to keep it from blowing away.

An Easy Up would be great except that it would take up too much space. Living in a Prius, I'll need every bit of room there is. There will be times when I'll be in the vehicle with no place to put the Easy Up, such as in WalMart parking lot.

It has been suggested that configuration would be better. It may be less susceptible to wind.

philmonttarp.jpg

Attachments

• philmonttarp.jpg
    philmonttarp.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 6
myway_1 said:
An Easy Up would be great except that it would take up too much space. Living in a Prius, I'll need every bit of room there is. There will be times when I'll be in the vehicle with no place to put the Easy Up, such as in WalMart parking lot.

I think your tarp/awning idea is going to be just as unwelcome in a "Malwart" parking lot as an Easy-Up.  I didn't realize you planned to camp at WallyWorld.  

Do you have a roof rack you could attach a cargo box to?  Both Yakima and Thule make pretty nice, aerodynamic boxes that would easily hold whatever system you end up using.  :cool:

Just brainstorming here.  :)

Latest posts