service dogs

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gcal said:
He might be way nicer than you. Better at reading comptrehension, too. He recognized the difference between someone pointing out what may have been a slip of the tongue (keyboard) and someone making an actual accusation.

UH~~~  Guy,

Both Yogidog and TJB are gals, newbies here.

You do come across a little abrasive.   ;)  (Of course that is my personal opinion,and I have been mistaken a couple times this century~~~)

I just wish I could take my cat in places with me.  He calms me down.    :blush: (And protects me from flying monkeys)

(Name that place for a bonus attaboy!)

Attachments

• Tigger inside.jpg
    Tigger inside.jpg
    983.4 KB · Views: 14
gcal said:
He might be way nicer than you. Better at reading comptrehension, too. He recognized the difference between someone pointing out what may have been a slip of the tongue (keyboard) and someone making an actual accusation.

Well you may very well be right about Yogidog :)  being nicer than I  :-/ .

The post we both are speaking of stayed on my mind to the point I searched it out and read it again...more than once..... just now.  I believe Yogidog just mis-spoke when referring to the newly designated " ESA" as a "SERVICE ANIMAL".

I thought then and I think now  that your response was unseemly rude and accusatory.  I may be mistaken however I do not think so.
                           That is my story and I'm a stickin' to it   :p       Peace and I'm outta here!     TJB

P.S.  I also know that assume can be .........Oh I Better NOT Say THAT!   :D

(Shrug) White knighting. Taking offense for people who were not offended. I could say a lot about that. But I won't. I am pretty sure you will get offended.

GotSmart said:
UH~~~  Guy,

You do come across a little abrasive.   ;)  (Of course that is my personal opinion,and I have been mistaken a couple times this century~~~)

I just wish I could take my cat in places with me.  He calms me down.    :blush: (And protects me from flying monkeys)

The Wizard Of OZ....  not you,,,,,the movie.......,oh sit back down why doncha?  While I think boys are cool :cool:  and old farts too...god luv'em   :rolleyes:  You get the"attaboy" award for....drum rooooooll "Name That Gender"  Even if I do have a few rusty spots... I just need re-chroming........Oh yeah my "other peoples B.S. filter"  is full & I'm having trouble finding parts................... Thank You...Seriously     

I like your cat, Queenie thought it was "go getum' time when I said C A T... I think she is learning to spell. 

Funny how time changes us.. a few years ago I'd tell Queenie we were moving into a house with a big yard and a C A T ....and a puppy for her.... Now I tell her we're going to "get the hell outta Dodge"  she's still happy... it's the G O word,  thankfully she is a truck riding freak....she rides looking out 'til she can barely stand up...I have to figure out what to do for  long travel periods....might have to hog tie her. 
I probably shouldn't  have said that either!  Good Nite and I hope you're feeling better :)          JEWELLANN

gcal said:
(Shrug) White knighting. Taking offense for people who were not offended. I could say a lot about that. But I won't. I am pretty sure you will get offended.

Growing up I was taught some things that I still believe in...... To be a strong woman......To defend myself...my family....my home...my property...and others when i thought it was needed...no matter the possible outcome if I felt I was justified in my heart that I had responded as I should.......that pretty is as pretty does...that meanness goes all the way to the bone.....to let sleeping dogs lay or is it lie?  I think you are getting real close to crossing a line that does not need to be crossed.........I am done with this......Iv'e said what I had to say and Iv'e counted to three.

Good Morning...........Jewellann

GotSmart said:
UH~~~  Guy,

LOOKS LIKE YOUR CAT IS WAITING FOR HIS TURN TO DRIVE AND FLYING MONKEYS BE DAMNED! I LEFT A NAME THAT MOVIE SOMEWHERE????   ADIOS tjb AND queenie [who snores....loud]

Hi u guys, yogidog misspeaks all the time, I blame him for this confusion:)

Gotsmart tell us about that store!

And whatever happened to cats rights? They are smarter than dogs, I don't see why the dogs get to go in and the cats can't

Tjaybird said:
Funny how time changes us.. a few years ago I'd tell Queenie we were moving into a house with a big yard and a C A T ....and a puppy for her.... Now I tell her we're going to "get the hell outta Dodge"  she's still happy... it's the G O word,  thankfully she is a truck riding freak....she rides looking out 'til she can barely stand up...I have to figure out what to do for  long travel periods....might have to hog tie her. 
I probably shouldn't  have said that either!  Good Nite and I hope you're feeling better :)          JEWELLANN

I'm SO JEALOUS!  My dog absolutely HATES riding in the van - hangs his head, drags his feet and stops to smell every blade of grass when he knows that's were we're headed.
He LOVES hanging out in the motorhome, however.  He doesn't realize it moves (I haven't had it long, it's parked in the driveway).  It should be interesting when we take our first trip in a couple weeks.

The difference between an Emotional Support Animal and a Service Dog is a matter of diagnosis and training, neither of which strangers on an internet forum are qualified to address. 
Good luck Yogidog.

Yogidog said:
Hi u guys, yogidog misspeaks all the time, I blame him for this confusion:)

Gotsmart tell us about that store!

And whatever happened to cats rights? They are smarter than dogs, I don't see why the dogs get to go in and the cats can't

That is the best store in Quartzsite AZ.  Right across from Burger King there is a surplus store, with tools, electrical parts, gold mining supplies, even 6 wheel army trucks and trailers.  I buy my electrical parts there, as they are all the real copper ends, and 1/2 the internet price.  Books, tarps, everything a van dweller needs.  The inside of that place looks like Highdesertranger's camp!

Dogs do not know how to open the cash register, cats do.  That is why they are not allowed in stores.   ;)

Got smart, vandweller heaven, for half the price, I think u have found nirvana!!!! :) :):) no wonder I couldn't name it, I haven't been there yet.

My cats made my dog look stupid :(

You're all really straying from the topic. If you're done talking about service dogs then start new threads elsewhere on the other topics. Any more off topic discussion will be deleted.

This has been a great post. So happy your doctor is helping with the papers for your dog, Yogidog. I now have a clearer understanding of service dog vs. emotional support. All dogs are therapy dogs because they all heal us in so many ways. Even if just dropping our blood pressure. I hope one day it won't be so complicated! I've had periods in my life of having crippling panic attacks and fully get how having a dog for emotional support is a real thing. Also, I don't think I could even contemplate this life style without having a dog--- Whether it's real or imagined, I feel safer.

We love are furbabies <3

I'm a disabled veteran and I have an 80 LBS Labrador "Pilot".  My dog was prescribed and was provided to by a training outfit in Texas, I waited 3 years, to be placed with my partner.  He was trained for a little over 2 years and know about 85 commands.    He travel with me including air travel.  There is a lot of responsibility that come with having a Service Dog.  My biggest pet peeve is when people try to pass their fake service dog (yes we can tell the fake ones)  because it make it very difficult for legit owners when we go to places.   A service dog is a big responsibility, to both the owner and the public in general.  :D

Attachments

• 244.jpg
    244.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
  • 136.jpg
    136.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 7
arctic cat said:
I'm a disabled veteran and I have an 80 LBS Labrador "Pilot".  My dog was prescribed and was provided to by a training outfit in Texas, I waited 3 years, to be placed with my partner.  He was trained for a little over 2 years and know about 85 commands.    He travel with me including air travel.  There is a lot of responsibility that come with having a Service Dog.  My biggest pet peeve is when people try to pass their fake service dog (yes we can tell the fake ones)  because it make it very difficult for legit owners when we go to places.   A service dog is a big responsibility, to both the owner and the public in general.  :D

We are from Florida. The state is crawling with people who think they need to take their "adorable" fur babies everywhere and get huffy when someone tells them it is not appropriate. Personally, I would like to see a requirement for some sort of state issued photo ID tags for actual service dogs and their owners, which they get by being prescribed by a doctor and passing a competency test. For real disabled people who require a real service dog, this process should be covered by insurance. I would also like to see stiff fines for fakes. I will gladly put up with dogs in restaurants and grocery stores and everywhere else to help someone who is truly disabled. But if it is just for convenience or "feelies," forget it.

gcal said:
We are from Florida. The state is crawling with people who think they need to take their "adorable" fur babies everywhere and get huffy when someone tells them it is not appropriate. Personally, I would like to see a requirement for some sort of state issued photo ID tags for actual service dogs and their owners, which they get by being prescribed by a doctor and passing a competency test. For real disabled people who require a real service dog, this process should be covered by insurance. I would also like to see stiff fines for fakes. I will gladly put up with dogs in restaurants and grocery stores and everywhere else to help someone who is truly disabled. But if it is just for convenience or "feelies," forget it.

I'm in  total agreement with you on.   I have an ID issued by the agency that provided my service dog.   While I know the cost to train a service dog is prohibited to some,   There should be standards set and competency test.  They should also been issued an ID Card by the state, which I don't mind showing it.  My partner went for two years on training.  I personally sat down for 2 weeks before I could take him home with me and after that we went thru a full 2 months of bonding period before gain "full access" (take him out with me) to have some store clerk kick me out or refuse me service because of a previous experience with an unruly dog.   I also have problems with the fact that these unruly dog become very territorial in public and attack my service dog and just look at me like "what the heck"   The government need to close every little loop hole on this issued as the law is really too vague.     Here is the picture of my dog travelling with me on an airplane

Attachments

• 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 18
Emotional support animals--ESAs-- do not have the access rights that service dogs do.
Service dogs and their handlers are both defined and protected under the AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT.
If neither you nor your dog fit the definitions, your dog is not a service dog.

To clarify: If YOU, the human, is not disabled under the definitions of the ADA, AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT,
you do not get to use a service animal, no matter how well trained that animal is. A service animal has NO access rights when with you, because YOU are not disabled.

An ESA has no public access rights under the ADA correct. But some states allow it. A lot of people confuse an emotional support dog (provides comfort just with their presence) and psychiatric service dog (a dog that is task trained to mitigate their handlers psychiatric disability, such as PTSD, anxiety, panic disorder, etc.)

I myself have two ESA's. My cat and my dog. And for when I move in the van im looking into owner training a psychiatric service dog. I need a PSD but our rental company won't let us have another dog. It is what it is, and I'll live. My issues currently are not at a point where I need a PSD right this very second, but easily within the next 6 months I will need to start training one.

I've been on service dog forums and had people tell me I don't need a service dog I need an ESA and I'm like. Um. No. I need a task trained psychiatric service dog. Tasks I need include blocking, covering, alerting to people who are too close or coming up behind me, grounding, deep pressure therapy, I'm hoping to have them alert to a panic or anxiety attack but if they can't alert then I'll teach response for when that happens, guiding me to an exit or quiet place when I'm dissociating or having a flashback and using DPT and grounding to bring me out of it, interruption of self harm, since when dissociating or having a flashback I will scratch and pick at the skin on my arms and face and I end up looking like a crack addict, also I will teach them to act like they have to go potty when I give a hand signal when my social anxiety gets bad and I need to leave for a few minutes.

Other than the guide work and the social anxiety task, these are all tasks that would be helpful now in my life and provide me some independence. For the guide work and social anxiety task, I'm not out in public much since It freaks me out when people stand really close to me and bump into me or come too close behind me, so those tasks aren't needed now since I'm not in public other than work, but once I'm out on public more I will need those tasks.

And then I STILL had people tell me I needed an ESA not a PSD LOL. People are too funny.

Service Dog

MMeagle-funny-dog-handler-memes-21-years-service.jpg

Attachments

• MMeagle-funny-dog-handler-memes-21-years-service.jpg
    MMeagle-funny-dog-handler-memes-21-years-service.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 9

Latest posts