Seeking Massachusetts address

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

salth2o22

Reaction score
Hi all,

New member here, but not to van life.

The house I am currently living in is being sold and I'd like to move into a van full time. But, of course I will need an address for insurance, license, banking,voting/jury duty etc. I don't have any family to turn to and most of my friends are through work (I keep my personal life out of work as much as possible).

I am looking for help finding a 'closet', 'couch', etc to rent so I can have a legal address. My goal is to maintain my freedom and save money to be able to buy land soon. Sure I could go a rent a room off CL, but I would never be there and prices in the Boston area are outrageous.

Would anyone know of a van life friendly person who would be open to renting 'space' for a year or two in Massachusetts? Location within the state is not a big deal. 

Might be open to NH, VT or Maine in a pinch.

I have a good union job that allows me the freedom to work when I want (or need to), super honest, good credit, clean criminal record...

Much thanks!

Welcome Salth to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

I hope you don't mind I moved your thread to the "Newcomers corner"

highdesertranger

It is going to be a real problem with the new style of driver's license to come up with the documentation for proof of residence. The first step is to go online and look at the requirements for proof of residency. Then make sure whatever arrangement you make for your new home address can be used to create that proof. Of course you are going to be signing a legal document saying that it is not a temporary address being used just to get the enchanced driver's license.

Thanks for the reply.

I am already a MA resident so I shouldn't have to worry about all that. Hoping it is just a change of address...

There will be a MA state website that explains the documentation you are required to provide.

So you already have a mass driver's license.
Registration for mass is good for a couple of years ?
Set your insurance up to be paperless, do everything online. ( I switched to progressive and did everything online myself, and saved $400 a year !!! )
I imagine you aleady have a bank account, tell them that you want to go paperless and do everything online, also tell your bank that you are going to be travelling for an undetermined amount of time. That way when they see charges from different areas your account won't be temporarily frozen for suspicious activity.

All you need is a debit card, if you need cash just go to Walmart I think you can get up to $80-100 cash back upon check out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

In one lake front area with high camping fees and no openings on the weekends, I asked a person who had a fruit stand if I could pay to park on their property. I figured the type of person who was selling items for income might be the type of person who would want to earn money from me camping on their property.

For this winter season, I looked in Craigslist for the oceanfront area I was interested in for a person renting a room. I figured if they were willing to let someone in their home, they would not mind letting me park my van in their driveway. I negotiated a $50 week fee for prime oceanfront parking (well within a mile of the beach). I have parked free in the area in past years. I just got tired of looking for a new spot each night, and trying to be stealth with the lights off, etc. I'll be gone during the day, hiking, biking, kayaking, etc. Around 9:00 pm, I'll pull into her driveway for the night. No worrys.

So, you may want to look for someone with a room to rent, and offer a price to use their address. My insurance company tried to charge me extra when my grown daughter used my address while traveling in Indonesia for 5 years. She doesn't even have a license any more. She has been a digital nomad for about 7 years.

Sounds like you have it worked out but if not, I'm in MA. PM me and we can probably figure something out.

Hi,

Still looking for the right situation...

Happy New Year!

Try putting an ad in craigslist looking to rent a room or share. You can even specify you are happy sleeping on a couch with some closet space and say that you travel frequently. That is all that goes into the ad other than saying things like you have references, are stable, blah blah blah.

But do not add your name to any lease or rental agreement. Stick to month to month share and specify it has to include a rental receipt. Also you need the person who lives at that property to be able to go with you to testify that you are renting from them, but don't put all these details in the ad. They are part of the negotiation process. Do be willing to pay them for taking the time to go with you to help get the documents you need established.