Seeking advice

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Imladris

Reaction score
So I will have 2 dogs that I will be taking with me to college while living in... some sort of vehicle (don't know what kind yet). I'm fairly certain that I will be able to set up on the edge of campus somewhere, so I don't think stealth will be an issue, but if it were, well, my dogs would make that difficult anyway. They will bark at anything. If I set up in a box van or moving van, someone hearing them from inside would likely report it and God knows I don't want to have to deal with that. But if they hear them from inside something that actually looks like a camper, not so much a problem, yes? Also, I need to think about finding a place to setup where I can let them stretch their legs. One is 75 lbs. I am very short on resources to start with, including money. But I am thinking popup camper or some other old, small trailer. Questions? Comments? Suggestions?

Imladris, lots of folks travel with their dogs and some will disagree with what I'm about to suggest. <br><br>But you have to think about what is in your friends', your dogs' best interests - cooped up in a van, with hours and hours alone, or living with another person who has more room, more play space, and more attention to give? On the other side, they are a safety mechanism - whether you are at the van or not, nefarious people are less likely to mess with your van &amp; stuff with dogs barking/defending. That will also draw more attention, so if stealth is a goal that could be compromised, and the campus police or locals could get involved.<br><br>Only you can make that call, and your dogs depend upon you to do what's best for them. <br>

This is a very small school, only about 200 - 300 ppl, so I'm not worried about campus police. The amount of time they are cooped up should be comparable to what it is now. And I really don't know anyone to give them to. Either I don't trust the way they would care for them, or they just don't have the resources. And one of them is very anxious with new ppl. I also don't want to put this on my friends or relatives. I &nbsp;totally understand your concerns, and I am trying to think this through the best I can before I launch.