Seattle looking into dwellers.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How about a basic policy of "Keep it clean or you're out immediately"?

It seems to me that the problem is that certain parties want to 'take care' of everyone. That isn't possible. Set up a parking lot with restrooms and a clean water source (not hookups). Have a fence around it, and a gate with an electronic card for entrance. Have a guard watching for inside people who are using their own card to let cardless people in, and evict both. If someone causes a problem, kick them out immediately and cancel the card electronically. Without rules, it becomes a free-for-all, and that's what Seattle has now. They've proven repeatedly that it doesn't work.*

Everyone seems to assume that all homeless people are broke, and they're not. Many of them are receiving money. Ask them to pay a small fee, perhaps based on income. That will also help to eliminate the ones that think everything should be free, who also seem to be the ones that are the worst slobs.

* Albert Einstein: "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over, and expecting different results."

This type of thing would never work, because it will attract all of the down and outers (bums) looking for a free ride.
Most people that live in rv`s, vans, or what ever else are mostly doing it by choice and to save money.

The stupidity of most city governments see people living in an rv, travel trailer, camper, or van, and all they see are homeless people, and this couldn`t be further from the truth. These people aren't homeless, there homes are on wheels so they can move around and take there homes with them.

There narrow minded thinking has them believing that if you don`t live in a stick and brick home, you are homeless.
There are lots of people out there that live the mobile life and have jobs to support them self`s, and do it because that`s how
they want to live.

There are always going to be the down and outers out there that bring drugs and filth with them were ever they go, and I think that
is what most city governments are expecting to find when they go looking for those living in there vehicles.

There will also always be those that don't need to take up space that those that really are in need could be using. They will suck the system dry just to save a few dollars.

LeeRevell said:
All is from the standpoint of S&B home owners.  Which, I am too, so I can commiserate to a degree.  I would not allow an RV or a car to park right in front of my home.

If a vehicle is there for days on end or making a mess, I absolutely agree; but if they're not disturbing anyone then they have a right to be there for a couple days in my opinion.  Homeowners don't own the road in front of their houses, and we all pay taxes for it. 

Urban planning in the US has seen fit to give the public parking spaces on public roads that we all contribute to.  So long as we're not disturbing anyone, we have a right to use them; but that's where the rights stop.  No one is entitled to free parking lots with free water, toilets, electricity, security etc.

LeeRevell said:
But, what can be a bad thing is people who fully want and intend to be "vehicle dwellers" are pushed into the hole of "homeless", against their will.  Sometimes these "public safety programs" hurt those they claim to help.
Not a political statement at all, just a fact of life.  People do not trust what they don't understand.

I had the same problem with working online when I first applied for food stamps, and again when I once had to get assistance for my utility bill. People in the government do not understand freelancers or how they operate. They do not understand getting paid through PayPal and not having a check stub. I finally got them "trained" to accept that this was a legitimate way of making money, but I still don't think they believe me sometimes. The "gig economy" is so far outside their 9-5 mentality, that they are lost when confronted with it.

Now if I leave this apartment and am living in a vehicle, I'm "homeless." If I'm homeless, none of my vehicle expenses count as housing expenses. It's going to take government entities awhile to get completely comfortable with the new lifestyles their greed and selfishness have created for so many of us. I'm going to try to educate them all over again.