Seasonal jobs in national parks

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NomadicJay

Reaction score
I'm completely new to this forum and kinda new to the nomad lifestyle of living out of my car, but I've worked in multiple seasonal jobs in national parks/seasonal locations. I've worked in Glacier NP, Bryce Canyon, Denali, Mackinac Island, Florida Keys and a few others.

I just wanted to post this right now because it's the PERFECT time to show up at national park lodges and other locations that are only open for the summer. Once all the college kids start going back to school a lot of these places struggle to remain fully staffed. A lot of them will hire pretty much anyone with a pulse if they're standing in front of them asking to work. Can be a nice way to make a little money in a short period of time before they close up for the season. Gift shops, restaurants, maintenance, front desk. I usually worked in restaurants and serving is the best money, but I also worked a bit in HR over the years too. And on top of making money, lots of places usually have housing options, RV spots, parking lots, etc. and cheap meal plans too.

The last perk? Living in a national park, especially after labor day means less crowds and better access to the park. Look for resorts and restaurants that have slightly longer seasons like Bryce, Zion, North Rim Grand Canyon.

Hopefully I'm not breaking any forum rules posting this, but I just wanted to start contributing on a topic I have some knowledge on!

This year is definitely different as other forms of entertainment are closed or difficult with Covid 19. Our National Parks have been over run with an average of over 130% visitation. Seasons have been extended and I would think many will be looking for workers even through the end of the year or till weather conditions prevent travel. Several places may require a two week isolation period before starting a paying job and a mask will be required in many if not all. Plan ahead!

Coolworks.com covers most private employers in the parks, usajobs.gov covers the federal government positions.