Searching for van in California - $$$$!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Janet100

Reaction score
I am in California, and have been searching for a van all over the state. I am appalled at the cost of used vans here.

For folks in California - did you go out of state to buy your van? Prices are like half the cost in the mid west compared to here. Even Oregon has to be considerably cheaper than here.

I am in the Bay Area and our COLA is outrageous. I know if I import a van from another state, I will eventually have to put a CA Catalytic Converter on the van - or can I keep it registered in a different state?  How can I get around this issue and buy an out of state van, keep it registered in another state, and pay a lot less for it compared to what that van would sell for in California?

Thanks for any education or advice you can offer.

There are *some* deals...regions are better than others; east and south of SF for instance. Found some deals I would pounce on however can't at the moment.

I have come across vans what I would consider barn finds and even those are yielding way too much. You get a sense there must be a vibe emanating out there; I don't think it's a coincidence.

Integrity with online buying is another challenge besides the price...first person to show up with cash gets the worm. Buying has become what I call transient. Likely I will use a local broker (cost me $500) and get a better deal to cover the fee cost. That's the plan.

Re: registering Because you are not mobile, it's a bit more risky, especially in California. Some people do it (like NY residents). Not sure how they do it though; never was on my radar.

I have seriously thought about the auto broker services. Since I know nothing about vans, and older vehicles in particular, it seemed like a great service for me. But they all seem to negotiate from a dealership. Not privot parties. That's just what I am seeing as I google them and look at their web sites.

Yes, paying them $500 to find a decent van for good money - and that passes a mechanic's inspection ($250? inspection fee) is a great idea. Am I wrong in thinking they are not going to search for a van any older than 4 yrs old and it will be from a dealership?

Janet1000,

I live in Northern California too ( 90 minutes- 2 hours from San Francisco). Let me know if you find a cheap van in California or use auto broker services. . I will be in the same boat in 3 years

Just posted mine for sale on the forum. My build thread is here too. Price is OBO and it's already livable.
Passed Arizona emissions. Not sure how it would work for Cali but you'd want to register in a different state anyways.
You could fly here, buy mine, and drive it away for the same cost as a stock van in Cali. The mark-up is crazy there.

I would think going out of state to either AZ or Nevada you would find them much cheaper. But it might not be feasible to go to another state to look at them. Unless you have friends or relatives you can go visit for a few days and then have time to really check out some vans. The auto broker might actually be the best bet.

When I winter in Phoenix I routinely look at CL for Los Angeles and surrounding areas. I have to say that van prices for full sized, big 3 American low and mid top conversions, as well as passenger vans, are easily the same as in Phoenix. So much so that when frustrated with not much to look at in Phoenix, I'd be willing to make the 6 hour drive to LA.

CautionToTheWind said:
Outside of Phoenix AZ

What kind of van? Cargo? Conversion?
There sure are a lot of us down here, haha. I'm not a few hours south but still. Off-topic I know.

CautionToTheWind said:
Outside of Phoenix AZ

What kind of van? Cargo? Conversion?

Cargo.  I was looking at Fords E150s.  I don't have a good idea on which vans are the best for which years.  I was hoping not to spend more than 8K on it.  I will convert myself, building as I go.

Gideon33w said:
Just posted mine for sale on the forum. My build thread is here too. Price is OBO and it's already livable.
Passed Arizona emissions. Not sure how it would work for Cali but you'd want to register in a different state anyways.
You could fly here, buy mine, and drive it away for the same cost as a stock van in Cali. The mark-up is crazy there.

I have looked on the forum and can't find a market place tab.  Where is your van listed?  Can you give me a link or tell me where the for sale vehicles are hidden?  Thanks

Gideon33w said:
It's under "Trading Post" - Here: https://vanlivingforum.com/Forum-Trading-Post
My build thread can be found here: https://vanlivingforum.com/Thread-And-So-It-Begins-Again
For info on vans you can check out the sticky I wrote in the Mechanical Issues thread called "Info On Common Vans"
Most people suggest the Chevy Express vans for a variety of reasons. I'm a Ford guy and even I do.

Nice looking van.  You did a good job on it.  I can't take it at the moment, but I know someone will be jumping on this in a couple of days.  Thanks for letting me see the pics.

Janet100 said:
Nice looking van.  You did a good job on it.  I can't take it at the moment, but I know someone will be jumping on this in a couple of days.  Thanks for letting me see the pics.

No problem. Hope it gives you some ideas on setting things up when you find you van.

Janet100 said:
I am in California, and have been searching for a van all over the state. I am appalled at the cost of used vans here.

For folks in California - did you go out of state to buy your van? Prices are like half the cost in the mid west compared to here. Even Oregon has to be considerably cheaper than here.

Check CL, Ebay & the like, you'll find a few Bay Area / San Jose / Sac dealers that handle a lot of vans. Many of the used vans I found seemed to be at dealers - I think they tend to buy in auction lots from bigger organizations. The end of the model year is coming up, & you might find them willing to deal more.
Not saying you won't find an individual-owned van (keep looking), but the corporate-owned vans may be on the market because they hit some point in age or mileage, rather than that they're just worn out.
In your price range, Chev/GMC might be the safer bet.

Janet: "can I keep it registered in a different state? How can I get around this issue and buy an out of state van, keep it registered in another state, and pay a lot less for it compared to what that van would sell for in California?"

You can't get around it -- your license, registration and insurance all have to match. If you bought a van in AZ and registered it there at your sister's address, and you have a CA driver's license, what do you think your ins. co. is going to say? "Sorry, we can't do this."

I live in NorCal as well. I found my van on CL in LA. Went there to pick it up and drive it back. As it would not pass smog, I registered it in South Dakota. Very easy. I will also be getting my SD drivers license sometime in the next few months. I have to drive there to do that. As for the registration, i used a company called "Your Best Address, out of Sioux Falls.

I grabbed all the money I could afford to spend on a van. I got a free ride to Florida (from CT). While looking for a van I became a resident of Florida. Florida makes moving pretty easy. I bought a nice, rust-free conversion van. Then drove my van back to CT to get my stuff. I've been traveling ever since.

Think long term. See if you can't get more accomplished with less effort.

I should probably point out that I didn't bring "every penny" I had. Just what I was willing to spend plus expenses. If I had issues driving the van back to CT, I could've had more money sent to me. I don't live in CT. That's just where my stuff was at the time.

Latest posts