Scion XB build

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maryann1976

Reaction score
scion.JPGHello there,
In my analysis paralysis I decided to build out my Scion and learn some stuff. :)

I took out the seats and now I want to put a floor down. There's a lot of uneven floor structure. I've seen others that get plywood cut. But my question is how to go about this. I would need Home Depot or someone to cut a piece (or pieces). 

Should I get a few pieces and then find someone that can put it together in the car (customize it)? Or is there a way to cut one piece if I had all the dimensions correct?

Thanks!

Attachments

• scion.JPG
    scion.JPG
    101.8 KB · Views: 36
That looks pretty roomy, maryann! Most lumber yards type places will make long straight cuts for free, but I don't think they'll make the cuts you'll need around the wheel wells and such. Measure the interior to determine how many pieces of plywood you'll need (they come in sheets of 4'X8'). Then I would guess you'll need someone to do the custom cuts for you. Excited for you!!!!

AbuelaLoca said:
That looks pretty roomy, maryann! Most lumber yards type places will make long straight cuts for free, but I don't think they'll make the cuts you'll need around the wheel wells and such. Measure the interior to determine how many pieces of plywood you'll need (they come in sheets of 4'X8'). Then I would guess you'll need someone to do the custom cuts for you. Excited for you!!!!

Thanks! That helps! You're right-- I need someone to cut around the shock guards and other interior nuances. I can at least get the pieces started.

Home Depot sells 1/2 sheets of plywood too  I got a 4' x 4'  piece to cover the most uneven area and that was enough to get by.  I had to put scraps of wood of various thicknesses under to supprt and level it.

MaryAnn..................Start with a pattern............even if you need help to cut the plywood they'll need a pattern

Gather some cardboard (boxes).....poster board........knife/scissors and tape......................Place a large piece or pieces that fill the open floor...........then fill in the edges with custom cut pieces that you tape to the main pattern.........Cut and Tape........and tape and tape

You can then center this pattern on a sheet of plywood and mark the shape on the plywood..........use the pattern to determine any openings you may need to access beneath the "floor"

A corded jig saw is relatively inexpensive tool used to cut the irregular shape incase you don't find a handy helper.........you can lay the plywood on the lawn and allow the blade to penetrate the lawn/dirt without a problem

You might also decide to use the pattern to cut a carpet remnant to cover the ply......making for a cleaner more comfortable install 

Good Luck.......doug

abnorm said:
MaryAnn..................Start with a pattern............even if you need help to cut the plywood they'll need a pattern

Gather some cardboard (boxes).....poster board........knife/scissors and tape......................Place a large piece or pieces that fill the open floor...........then fill in the edges with custom cut pieces that you tape to the main pattern.........Cut and Tape........and tape and tape

You can then center this pattern on a sheet of plywood and mark the shape on the plywood..........use the pattern to determine any openings you may need to access beneath the "floor"

Got it. Will do. Thanks!

Hey MaryAnn

The uneven floor can be resolved by building the sleeping platform up. 2x4s or whatever size studs you want for the space. This is what I did 

You don't have to bolt it down but it would be safer and more secure to. Especially if you were to get into an accident you don't want a projctile. 

It's hard to see exactly what you're working with so if you got more pictures we'd be able to give some more advice but you might be able to bolt the platform down without having to build it up. You'd have more headroom and it'd be a little easier.

Using a battery operated circular saw and jIg saw will all you really need to have for the cuts and are really simple to use. You can ask the home depot folks how to use the tools and YouTube can help as well. Just be safe and never put your hand in front of the blade.

The company i used to work for had about a half dozen Scion XB's all the estimators drove, I being one of them. Great little cars!

You should be able to make a comfortable little sleep space in one.

Thanks for these replies. I ended up giving up on the scion and bought a van ;). But these ideas also apply to my van conversion. Thanks!