Sassypickin's Van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To Wagoneer: Yes, we're coming. We'll be taking a week to meander down, probably along the Oregon/California coastline, stopping here and there. Gotta watch a few bowl games somewhere. Last year we watched Oregon play in the Rose Bowl from a harborside sports bar in Monterey. They let us hang out for hours plus let us stay overnight in their parking lot. Sweet.

I am going to try my hand at replacing the front shocks on my van. I got a couple of KYB heavy dutys. Doesn't look like rocket science and I have a 2-ton floor jack (2 actually). Wish me luck.

I still have that nice length of 4-gauge wire you gave me last year for use in my house electrical system. But even after all my studying, I've done zip zilch, mostly because I don't want to spend the money and watch my batteries die from IOAfNU (Ignorant Owner Abuse from Not Understanding). Sternwake's recent post about his journey down battery lane gives me hope, though. I may make a move on it before I die. ;-)

Sassy

Well girl sounds like you two have a plan, shocks can be tricky but if you know the tricks not a big deal. Most of us semi- professional mechanics have done a few so tricks we did learn. WE WILL CATCHUP. Oakley is having some trailer issues we will address I was made CHEF extrordinair so the hot dogs will not get burnt.Denise and Dale sold their house and will be attending as well as . Look for my civil war tent with the Persian touch, ouch. Take care have fun
Almost forgot if you need and advice and are in the area 415 608 5642 Adria and Low Tech has a great compound which is camp friendly PM him and see

Adrian,

I hope Oakley's trailer issue is only minor.

I will reconnect with Low Tech, thanks!

Your Persian tent theme sounds nice.  My daughter hauls a gypsy wagon and sets up an ez-up canopy, carpet, pillows and drums for fun times.  But the durn axle broke last month so she's off the road til she can tend to that.

Ish.jpg

Attachments

• Ish.jpg
    Ish.jpg
    77.3 KB
Perhaps i could employ her at my CASBAH, LOL.  THE APPLE DOES NOT FALL FAR FROM THE TREE, I see some sassy influence nice photo she does look a bit sad but maybe just me reading into the mood, see ye soon.

That axle should be pretty easy to replace. :)

Nice Vardo style, . . . would love to see the outside. :D

Sassy - Miss talking w/ you.

Wagoneer - will PM you later about maybe combining "Cafe" space. I'm coming w/ the big trucks and bringing some of my "Crew". Plans are to set up a hangout/gathering space.

LowTech, here are a few photos of my daughter's wagon.  It was built years ago by an old friend of mine, who used it to haul his tools.  It's welded metal framing with plywood sheathing.  I think he did a really nice job on it.  He included two swing-open windows above the back doors. She left in a few of his plywood tool cabinets, built herself a bed, coated the roof and with help put in a couple of porthole windows on the back and added a solar panel.  I think she did something with the leaf springs a few years back but I don't know about that.

Sassy

ps.  I PM'd you.

IshToynWagon.jpg
Ishwagontop.jpg
Ishwagonfront.jpg

Attachments

• IshToynWagon.jpg
    IshToynWagon.jpg
    88.5 KB
  • Ishwagontop.jpg
    Ishwagontop.jpg
    60.9 KB
  • Ishwagonfront.jpg
    Ishwagonfront.jpg
    66.9 KB
sassypickins said:
LowTech, here are a few photos of my daughter's wagon.  It was built years ago by an old friend of mine, who used it to haul his tools.  It's welded metal framing with plywood sheathing.  I think he did a really nice job on it.  He included two swing-open windows above the back doors. She left in a few of his plywood tool cabinets, built herself a bed, coated the roof and with help put in a couple of porthole windows on the back and added a solar panel.  I think she did something with the leaf springs a few years back but I don't know about that.

Sassy

ps.  I PM'd you.
Nice, very similar to one of my first trailer. Same deal, ply and metal, crushed my spring over a few years. Only mine was "Ledge" style, so the upper walls stopped and cut in to the inside of the wheel wells right above the fender. Less inside storage, but some outside on a running board.

Getting to that PM ;-)

How time flies!  February 2014 was when I bought my van, and recently the odometer turned over 200,000 miles.  The 20,000 miles I’ve put on it have been among the best of my life.  I meant to travel and disperse camp my own state of Oregon, but I and often with DH meandered off into beautiful country in Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Arizona, Nevada, and California.  I’d visited a few of the same places before, but never like this, where I could just stop and go as I pleased.  What a lovely and pleasantly addicting difference.

I’ve made minor changes in my van, the BEST one being I now have a terrific fridge.  The Coleman thermocooler that came to me with the van just sucked amps, not being a compressor fridge.  Plus it didn’t get very cold, so I mostly used ice in it.  I recently snatched up a 40-year-old Norcold on local Craigslist for $150.  Word was the new models use the same swing compressor as this old one, so that sounded promising.  It’s clean, runs super quiet, and freezes stuff in short order at not even halfway on the dial.  I am so happy with it!  It’s a big honker, but DH and I like eating fresh, so making room is worth it.

van fridge interior.jpg

I wrapped it in 1” polyiso with double-stick tape and aluminum tape and I throw Gramma’s wool blanket over it.  When it’s over 90 degrees outside the compressor only comes on for a minute or two every now and then.  I usually turn it off at night.  One morning I forgot to turn it on.  Late that evening after a plus 90 day triking around Black Rock City, it was at 46 degrees and there was no food loss. 

Me on my playatio.jpg

I reconfigured the back corner shelving so all the outdoor gear stored there previous to adding the fridge is still there and slides in and out, hooray.

van fridge and storage corner.jpg

Also, DH suggested I add a tall skinny propane tank under my sink, so away with those 1 lb. canisters, finally!

I still womanhandle my 32 lb. portable solar panel in and out of the van, and that’s ok for now.  I do appreciate being able to park in the shade when possible. I sought help here in Portland to make a travel rack for it on the outside wall driver’s side.  No luck, so when I get around to it, I’ll see if I can figure it out myself.

Camping Fortuna Pond AZ.jpg

The bed system still works great.  I use the top one when I travel alone.  I give it over to DH when he’s with me and pull out the smaller one from under it for me. Though the house batteries fit fine under my bed, I’d prefer to get them in their own pull-out shelving under the van floor, but that’s another day, too.

With Low-Tech’s help, I replaced the two front shocks after the last RTR.  Ok, I should say I fetched tools, held flashlights, and wrenched where I could actually turn something with my less than stellar strength…SHEESH!  Those suckers were HARD to get out and in.  Later, I paid to have the back two replaced, and that mechanic told me it was a beast of a job.  I feel a bit less wussy. 

Bought four new good quality highway tires.  The ride is smoother, but the cheap, worn mud and snow tires just, I dunno, felt better.  Also, new brake pads, calipers, rotors, wheel packs around.  $$ owie but safe now.

Two years ago on the way to RTR a Ford shop in San Diego decided I needed a new head gasket and said they’d fix it all up with a pretty bow for only $4500 (Ford dealership, right?).  The only symptom was a faint gas smell coming from the radiator water reservoir.  That didn’t convince me it was time to break the bank and then some.  I talked it over with others in the know and chose to keep a close eye on it instead.  So far so good – no overheating or other symptom and the reservoir seems fine.  I had one coil replaced and the engine’s been humming along nicely since.  When the time comes I need a major repair, I’ll research my options.  Hopefully that won’t start with walking miles first.  I'd rather be doing this:

relaxing2.jpg

All for now.  Long time since I’ve posted, so there will be a lot of new folks to meet at RTR and I’m NOT scheduling a bunch of work this time.  Gonna relax and enjoy the GREAT company.

Best to everyone.

Sassy

Attachments

• van fridge interior.jpg
    van fridge interior.jpg
    294.7 KB
  • van fridge and storage corner.jpg
    van fridge and storage corner.jpg
    412.4 KB
  • relaxing2.jpg
    relaxing2.jpg
    74.8 KB
  • Me on my playatio.jpg
    Me on my playatio.jpg
    113.9 KB
  • Camping Fortuna Pond AZ.jpg
    Camping Fortuna Pond AZ.jpg
    421.8 KB
Thank you so much for posting an after report. So many people post their brand spanking new ideas, but then won't admit it when it doesn't really work out. I LOVE hearing about what works! And flexibility is what keeps this lifestyle possible. Safe travels for many more years, Sassy.

Hey Sassy, thanks for the update!

Wondered if you might have rom for something like this to help you with hauling your solar set up: https://www.amazon.com/Magna-Person...1475511089&sr=8-4&keywords=folding+hand+truck

I bought one and ziptied and oversized milk crate to it, I use it for hauling groceries and water around. Before I ziptied the crate it would fold down very small, so I'll go back to that configuration as needed.

Queen said:
Hey Sassy, thanks for the update!

Wondered if you might have rom for something like this to help you with hauling your solar set up: https://www.amazon.com/Magna-Person...1475511089&sr=8-4&keywords=folding+hand+truck

I bought one and ziptied and oversized milk crate to it, I use it for hauling groceries and water around.  Before I ziptied the crate it would fold down very small, so I'll go back to that configuration as needed.

Thanks for the idea, Queen!  I seriously considered a hand cart, but after practicing a few times with the actual panel, loading it in and out, and carrying it a few feet here and there, I decided it was not a big deal, and I elected to not add another carry item. 

I was gifted a neat little lightweight pvc-pipe stand for it, too, at last year's RTR, which works great to support and tilt it however needed.

Headache said:
This is a very well designed and built living arrangement and I'm VERY inspired by it!

Thanks, Headache!  It's working out great.  I'm ok with simple (though I much admire those with the mad skills for finish carpentry and wonderful wiring).

Sassy

Nice upgrdes, Sassy!

Were you bking around Burning Man? I'll need to see pictures, at the RTR!

Can't wait to see you!!!

cyndi said:
Nice upgrdes, Sassy!

Were you bking around Burning Man? I'll need to see pictures, at the RTR!

Can't wait to see you!!!

Thanks, Cyndi!

Burning Man - what a unique experience.  I am so glad I went.  I chose not to carry my phone or a camera around.  My daughter took some pics that I may be able to access at RTR.

I bought a used adult trike to get around.  It worked so well I thought I almost had a little mini-home.  I taped my backpacker chair like this onto the seat:

backpacking chair.jpg

I could stop whenever I wanted to and just put my feet up on the handlebars and lean back.  I loved that!

There was already a plastic bin screwed onto the back frame and it held everything I might need for exploring the playa -- water, food, bike repair gear, extra clothes, lights, even my doumbek.  I wore gloves, dust mask and goggles and was never bothered by the playa dust.  I could breathe fine even in the whiteouts.  The thin wool shirts I wear keep me cool in hot temperatures.  I did kind of stand out amongst all the skin...

Remember the disco lights I had at my camp last year?  I hung one from my handlebars ha ha.

Looking forward to seeing you at RTR too!

Sassy

Attachments

• backpacking chair.jpg
    backpacking chair.jpg
    9.4 KB
sassypickins said:
I bought a used adult trike to get around.  It worked so well I thought I almost had a little mini-home.  I taped my backpacker chair like this onto the seat:

I could stop whenever I wanted to and just put my feet up on the handlebars and lean back.  I loved that!

There was already a plastic bin screwed onto the back frame and it held everything I might need for exploring the playa -- water, food, bike repair gear, extra clothes, lights, even my doumbek.  I wore gloves, dust mask and goggles and was never bothered by the playa dust.  I could breathe fine even in the whiteouts.  The thin wool shirts I wear keep me cool in hot temperatures.  I did kind of stand out amongst all the skin...

Remember the disco lights I had at my camp last year?  I hung one from my handlebars ha ha.

I desperately need to see a video of that!!!

No video, few pics, just use yer imaginations ha ha

Disco balls a comin' again -- wear your bell bottoms, get in line!

point down, point up, point down, point up
burn baby burn