SAFETY WARNING how old is your propaine detector

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grandpa pete

Reaction score
I was surprised to learn that gas and propaine (spelt wrong ) detectors are only good for a limited number of years ….A fire inspector told me that most are only good for 5 years but others are only good for two...mark the detector with the date it is expired when you put it in …….if you don't know when yours went in it might be a good idea to get new....also don't be fooled by pushing the test button and thinking you are ok cuz the alarm goes off ; you are only testing the alarm circuit  NOT the device sensitivity ...

you are correct sir. smoke detectors too. also make sure you get ones made for RV's not household ones. highdesertranger

As far as I can see there is no difference in the actual detection of the smoke itself as regards a detector used in the home or in an RV. The same is true for carbon monoxide and natural gas/propane detectors.

What is different is the power source. You would not want to hardwire into an AC power source even if you were running an inverter. Instead an RV detector of whatever type would be run by batteries. It might be done by batteries withing the unit or in some instances for RV equipment it might be a unit designed to be wired to the 12V house battery. Location of the detector(s) requires carefully following the installation instructions so that it is place in the recommended location. For instance the ceiling for smoke or combination CO and smoke detection. However the propane/gas detection units get mounted near the floor as the gas settles low.

All the CO and propane detectors I have seen for an rv are hardwired into the 12V house battery. Those with a battery are made to put where there isn't an available 120v plug. If you buy it at a hardware type store, it will be a household unit. I like to think they use the same detection method but that the actual parts used in the rv model are made more heavy duty for the vibrations and jostling that an rv gets. Kinda like the difference between a 1500 and 3500 van. They do the same job but one is more heavy duty. Those for household use would not need to be built to stand up to the rigors of the road and thereby be cheaper. The good news is everyone gets to make their own decision on their own safety.