Rv sites newer than 10 years - $30 daily??

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

offroad

Reaction score
I get the impression that many general RV camps will only let you stay if you have an RV that is newer than 10-20 years old ,and you pay $30 per night.&nbsp;<br /><br />Is there a guide to which RV camps would nit allow you to stay? &nbsp;

Hi off road: i am not an expert by any means on rv parks. however i did find that as soon as you say older rv, or they can see the rv from there window, seems they have a policy of no old rvs. when asked about it, they just say with out saying it, ya dont have a 200 k new rv and yours wont fit in. so i have check out the older rv parks with out many perks on the out skirts of town. they seem to be more hungry for you business, as long as you dont have broken glass or ac units hanging out any windows. 20 bucks a night and up depending on amenities is about right.&nbsp; &nbsp; as far as a book for that, im not sure. i have never seen one. lots of rv directories but they don't&nbsp; advertize, no old rvs.<br />john

Never had a problem with our 95 camper an, but we don't do resorts. Generally state parks. We've done quite a few private campgrounds, when there no other options, and never turned away. SPs are nicer and less expensive, primitive sites are cheaper. On summer weekends, though, they generally fill up quickly.

Private CGs are about 30 to 35, resorts more. SPs around 18 to 25 for electric, 8 to 18 for primitive. In our experience.

i havnt paid for camping in over 4 years- and no Natl forest has ever turned away my 42 y o shasta. Before that , my wife and i stayed at a few paid campgrounds in Maine, NH and Vt with no problems, usually State parks and one smaller, older private campground. I prefer quiet, out of the way, natural or primitave sites, whether tenting, camper or the bus,, so for us has been a non issue.

Offroad. The places that have rules about the age of vehicles are few and far between in my experience. Clearly no county, state or federal park. I have a 1999 class c motor home that is getting a little "rough" in appearance and have never been turned away. But if they have a rule like that, they are also usually more than I would pay anyway so I avoid them. <br /><br />As to private parks generally, try http://www.rvparkreviews.com/ for reviews and prices. Also, for travelers, try passport america:&nbsp;http://www.passportamerica.com/campgrounds/&nbsp; It is a half price kinda deal, usually for a few days and not during weekends for some. <br /><br />As to rates, most places also have weekly and monthly rates. Weekly tends to get you the equivalent of the "7th day free" I find. Monthly will be the equivalent of somewhere between 10 to 20 times the daily rate, plus a separate charge for electricity that is metered. Obviously the preceding are generalizations and you can and will find variations all over the country as to policies, features and rates.

&nbsp;I haven't paid to stay in an RV park for abt 25 yrs. If I'd wanted to stay in an apartment, I woulda, and those RV parks (what a misnomer) are little better.. no privacy, expensive, ugly. ..Willy.

I've stayed in half a dozen RV parks, and only one of them had a "10 year" rule but didn't comment on my 15-year old motorhome.&nbsp; Prices vary widely, mostly by area but also by amenities.&nbsp; I think the parks with the age rule tend to be the high-end ones with golf courses, etc. that I avoid anyway.&nbsp; Much of my time is spent on BLM land, such as Tumco ghost town where I am now.&nbsp; (Blog entry from a previous stay:&nbsp; http://techno-viking.com/posts/tumco/ )&nbsp; If you decide to join Pasport America, I get a small kickback if you do it through the link on my blog.

I use the Thousand Trails Zone Pass... $399/yr = 30 nights free and all after that for $3/ night.... with some requirements about moving and time of stay.<br /><br />Initially it sounds a bit expensive, but if you stay 230 nights a yr at one of their camp grounds (which have fairly nice amenities, but can be a bit crowded) you end up paying about $4.50 a night.&nbsp; I think that is not too bad... if you are not trying to live on the most minimal finances.&nbsp; And, paying $1,000.00 / year for your total RENTand UTILITIES... yeah... pretty decent cost efficiency!!<br /><br />Oh, and I have stayed in 25 yr old tents and in my car... and can't imagine them turning anyone away.<br /><br />Extra bonus... every night they play games in the rec-room and have free (or donation) coffee every morning and often potluck dinner nights and sports and movie viewing gatherings.<br /><br />I like it!<br /><br />(This has not been a paid program... etc... etc...)

Has TT changed their rates?&nbsp; Last I checked it was a $750 one-time fee per zone, $500 a year fee (no matter how many zones) and campsites were free ever after...