RV living in Manhattan

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrNoodly

Reaction score
<span style="font-family: arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: small;">Here's an article by a man who lived in a&nbsp;</span><span><span style="font-family: arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: small;"><span style="line-height: 20px;">Winnebago Via (Sprinter conversion) at Riverside Drive and 81st Street.</span></span><br><br><span style="font-family: arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: small;"><span style="line-height: 20px;">http://www.salon.com/2013/07/03/my_rv_on_the_upper_west_side/</span></span></span>

That's not living - it's existing. Who want's to "live" with no usable toilet, shower or running water?&nbsp;

he sounds more like a spoiled brat a guy with money and no imagination.How many of us could plunk down the kinda money to buy one of those. Be proud be resilient. PS I wonder what could be found in SABAR's dumpster... great reubens ?? Some 25 years ago I was dumpster diving at the Gucci store on Maiden lane at Christmas eve they were tossing out sterling silver boxes with imperfections and not quite empty jugs of wine and chocolate Macadamiun covered nuts. I was shitfaced with my buddy but we managed to climb out with the silver booty.&nbsp;

I'd be moaning and groaning if I had to live in a city too, even with that RV!&nbsp; Take her remote though and I'd be in 7th heaven!

I don't think he paid for the RV, I think he may have test drove/reviewed it. But in reality used it for a free place to stay, until he found a place to live. Either way, I would love to do this in NYC. But no way in a RV, way to big I would imagine.

Niall: The COL in NYC is out of sight. If you want a decent small apt in a decent neighborhood you will pay $2500 to $3000 a month and that doesn't include utilities.&nbsp; The middle class is being squeezed out of the city.&nbsp;

That article was entertaining, even comical. Nothing of value though.

I'm considering living in a van in Manhattan for my first year while I pay down my student loans. I was thinking I could get a monthly parking pass in a garage instead of rent, walk to work, get a gym membership. Does anyone see any problem with the parking garage idea? I wouldn't be in the van much, working mostly, but I would be sleeping in it.

I think I would find somewhere in the Burbs......and use the subway and rail system to my advantage......there is an awsome boondocking and camping area across the river looking at the Statue of liberty and the train and bus service is right there!!

"I'm considering living in a van in Manhattan for my first year while I pay down my student loans. I was thinking I could get a monthly parking pass in a garage instead of rent, walk to work, get a gym membership. Does anyone see any problem with the parking garage idea? I wouldn't be in the van much, working mostly, but I would be sleeping in it."

most garages i know of in manhattan have parking attendants. you walk to the garage, give the guy the ticket, and he gets the car for you. in that case, this plan wouldn't work. there's no way around the attendants. i've never heard of a garage where the car owner can park the car by themselves here. if you can find one it should work.
that being said, i've seen a few RV's parked around my neighborhood and they've been there for months, if not years. totally legal as long as they move them every 24 hours (usually they don't, still no problem).
[/quote]

I have always wanted to spend some time in New York. If I thought I could do it safely I would give it a try. Parking on the street would worry me a little. Maybe, I worry because I don't know much about New York City, but my only knowledge of this city is through the television and news stories. The stories give the impression that there is a lot of crime, and not so safe on the street.
If a person is familiar with the city, I think they would be safe enough, and know the areas to stay away from.

daves said:
I have always wanted to spend some time in New York. If I thought I could do it safely I would give it a try.

Westchester county, just north of NYC, has an extensive county park system.

Croton Point Park is right on the Hudson. It includes campsites for tents and recreational vehicles. It is right opposite the Croton Harmon train station. You can ride Metro North right into the heart of Manhattan for the day.

Regards
John

Optimistic, thank you for that camping information in New York City. I will plan it for next year. This year we are going to the northwest.

Latest posts