RV Fresh Water Holding Tanks

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lyra

Reaction score
Aloha Nomads,
WATER, the most important element of life.  
I have chronic illness and mostly use a wheelchair.  The time I have spent wandering for long periods, water took too much energy for me and is an important aspect I need a solution to before heading back out.  I have a dodge grand caravan and have all seats removed except the drivers (stow-n-go seat are not stowed, they is gone! so I have all that extra storage.  I havent seen much about rv storage containers.  My vision is have a food grade container in one of those wells or the well in the back.  A small water pump doesnt take much solar power....  So, essentially I wont have to haul it.  I have zero experience in the availability of water sources that can be hooked up to a hose.  I am certain it narrows my options but maybe its folks living in RVs that have this experience?  I am a Berkey fan so if I am near any kind of water source, I can have good water and filter anything city/county sources adds to their source.  Any advise on what I will run into in needing a water source by hose?  Certain fittings to consider?

There are a variety of pumps, such as the dolphin, that will fit on a five gallon jug. I’m not sure about a solar connection but a battery operated one could be easily set up and capacity to do this something you want regardless.

If you have a municipal connection via hose you won’t need any additional pump. I’d set up some sort of external mount rather than going through the sheet metal, etc.

Most gas stations have a tap available, just ask, let them know you need 5 or 10 gallons.

Every town has its municipal water service, even if privatized I doubt many would charge you for such small amounts.

Small towns, just pull up and ask if you see someone pottering outside.

I just added a 10 gallon fresh water tank to my class B, though I'm using it for gray water. 

Very easy installation. Gravity feed, and tank is unpressurized.  Pump goes in between tank and sink or whatever else needs pressurized water.  Then an air vent, a drain, and your done. You can use a 1-1/2" gate valve on the drain, or just rig up a garden hose with a shut off valve.  Half day job.

The best advice I can give you would be to go to an RV dealership explain what your needs are then listen to the technician.
Or even get a list together and if you are able to afford it let them do the install or order the parts and install them yourself with some help. Doing the self install I think is best because if you have any problems you know where everything is and how it was installed. Making repairs much simpler and cheaper.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

In the 90's I had a Ford Courier U-Haul. I used a 15 gallon carboy that held food grade phosphoric acid as a water tank. I used a food grade drum pump as a faucet. The water had a tart taste, but I could wash with it and the water never went bad in the two years I used it.

I use heavy type gallon jugs for drinking water. 

Also  I plan to have 3 five gallon buckets with threaded caps in the lids for wash water/ fire water in the van. I may not fill them all the time. I will get an extra cap to fit up with a spray nozzle and pump, and have the option of an outside shower. I prefer the size of the three gallon buckets Walmart sells, but they did not hold up very long before breaking. ~crofter

I bought this heater tape to use on an outside water valve during the winter.

https://rvingreviews.com/plumbing/heated-water-hose/

While I have an indoor shutoff, it leaks a little and because it's above a finished ceiling, I'd have to cut a hole in plaster to replace it. This tape allows me to keep the outside valve warm enough that it doesn't freeze.

Latest posts