RV - Boat Storage facility

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigdog101101

Reaction score
OK...this is probably the dumb question of the month, but I thought I would ask.
I saw a number of RV/boat storage facilities near my work location. They all rent out reserved spots to park your rig. Some places offer covered parking with an electrical hookup when parked. Many have 24 hour security gate access. The price runs from $30 a month to $200 a month with covered parking and electrical. Has anyone ever rented a spot like this, but after driving in at night and parked, didn't drive out until the next morning.
I only need a place to sleep at night, during the day I'm at work. On the weekends I drive 100 miles and go home to be with my family.
If you are only 'storing' your rig, why would you need electrical.

Fire Away!!!

The Big Dog

Lots of these places aren't zoned for living spaces. Plus, they're already hip to those trying to sleep there.
I'd say all power to ya if you can get by with it tho.

You will be kicked out. However you could ask to be night time security. <br><br>I tried with my boat and was told flatly NO. I could sleep in the parking lot and come in in the morning. It was out in the country.<br><br>James AKA Lynx

I've tried my luck at a few different businesses over the years and I've had to have storage units quite often for the businesses. I've seen on more than one occasion that people have actually lived in the storage units. This was in FL, where it didn't get too cold in the winter.&nbsp;<br><br>I think it really comes down to the owners and if they will pretend to turn a blind eye or not.<br><br><br>One guy that used to work for our cleaning company used to always 'live" in storage units for the entire time I knew him, which was several years. Some of them, he was able to actually sleep in, but others he could stay there all day, but would have to leave and sleep in his truck at night.<br><br>

I've found that property owners will not care for a bit, but if the property gets hit by thefts, the people staying there will be the first whose names are turned over to the local police as primary suspects, even though the real thieves were some tweakers who made their hit and are long gone. &nbsp;After that happens, maybe someone is allowed to stay as a resident, but that's it.<br><br>

Latest posts