Rust?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
riggyk said:
How much Chassis saver you think would be needed for the whole cargo floor? A gallon?

A gallon is more then enough for the entire floor of a van and the underside as well.

Cool!

(Edited by Moderator to remove profanity.)

Thanks for the help the steamjam..truly appreciated.

Just bought: Chassis saver, roller and tray, JB Weld, Ospho, and red scotch brite grill pad. Gonna grind the majority, it it with some ospho and scrub, rinse and dry, then paint around the holes and leave those until next move is figured out for them

Ok so a few quick questions here....

What should I do with protruding objects like the saucers and screws sticking up? Just cut those right out with the grinder (metal cutting disk) and try to get as flush to the bed as possible? Or should they be strategically wiggled out?

As seen in the last picture, is there any risk in leaving the bare metal for a few days? I'm traveling for work for a couple days and I COULD wipe down with Oshpo, scrub, and then paint about what's been ground out, should that be an issue... So net/net: any risk to leaving it bare? And if not, would there be risk if I scrubbed with Oshpo and THEN left it bare?

Attachments

• IMG_4083.JPG
    IMG_4083.JPG
    724.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4084.JPG
    IMG_4084.JPG
    664.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4085.JPG
    IMG_4085.JPG
    565.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4088.JPG
    IMG_4088.JPG
    651.1 KB · Views: 7
just as long as those bolts don't hold anything up from underneath, just cut them off. I am assuming you already tried to unscrew them. highdesertranger

riggyk said:
Ok so a few quick questions here....

What should I do with protruding objects like the saucers and screws sticking up? Just cut those right out with the grinder (metal cutting disk) and try to get as flush to the bed as possible? Or should they be strategically wiggled out?

As seen in the last picture, is there any risk in leaving the bare metal for a few days? I'm traveling for work for a couple days and I COULD wipe down with Oshpo, scrub, and then paint about what's been ground out, should that be an issue... So net/net: any risk to leaving it bare? And if not, would there be risk if I scrubbed with Oshpo and THEN left it bare?

Id definitely look under the van and see what those bolts are holding up before you start hacking them off. Also, Yeah you can leave the bare metal for a day or two, just remember to re-clean the bare metal area of rust when you get back to it before you paint. Bare metal will start to rust pretty much the minute you leave it alone in a damp environment.

Ok gotcha. - I'll circle back in a few days... corporate america calls! (WAH)

haha thanks for the help guys.. you've been so great and I love learning all this stuff.

Rust situation is looking OK guys, but fittingly enough as I made my way home in the van yesterday (2-3hr ride) my brakes and power steering locked up on me, which was not only scary as heck but pretty obnoxious given I just bought the thing. Oh well, time to diagnose and fix if possible and move on.

https://vanlivingforum.com/Thread-Where-to-start-with-Chevy-Express-Steering-Brake-Issue

I guess this rusty floor is on hold for now....

GUYS

So with something like Oshpo, I've sprayed/scraped and left it to dry.. do I just Chassis Saver right over tomorrow or rinse it off, dry and then prime? Or sand once more then prime? Any thoughts?

I saw this video about fixing rust damage that is very good. Vandwelers can apply these techniques to different types of rust problems.

You can do what he does on the inside of the wheel well for large rust holes under or inside the vehicle where beauty is not required, and the outside technique for parts you want to make pretty.

I personally patch big holes with thin sheet metal and rivets, but the sticky mesh he uses is an easier alternative.

I'm not affiliated with this channel in a way. It's just a really good video that I'd like to share because I've seen many posts here about working with rust. 

Hope this helps. 

Latest posts