Rust?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fixing rust, vs significantly slowing rust are two different things.

For 1 to 2 years expectation, I'd not bother with grinding to bare metal, I'd remove any loose rust, and apply OSHPO with a scotch brite pad once or twice, then paint with a fast drying paint, and then get on with the rest of the build.

Ospho is a rust converter, and degreases and preps bare steel, rust and painted surfaces for subsequent adhesion.

Is it as good as grinding to bare metal? of course not.

One could keep applying Ospho, then hitting the black spots ( formerly the rust spots) with a chisel or scraper, and get down to pitted steel if one wanted to.

So decide how far you want to take the process and how long you expect it to last.

I have a bud who might be able to sand blast this for me... so if that's cheaper than buying the 80 grit + new tool...... does home depot (if need be) rent the inline air grinder? Wondering how long it would take to grind the whole thing by hand? Would Chassis Saver just go on the seams or the whole thing as a paint coat?

So a reasonable approach here could be:

1) Grind down problem spots or just have sand blasted
2) Hit with something similar to OSPHO
3) Patch holes
4) Paint with a rustoleum type oil paint a couple times?

Does cleaning come into play at any point here? Meaning at what point can I hit this with a quick simple green sweep? The old mat was prety F'ing gross and wet.

riggyk said:
I have a bud who might be able to sand blast this for me... so if that's cheaper than buying the 80 grit + new tool...... does home depot (if need be) rent the inline air grinder? Wondering how long it would take to grind the whole thing by hand?  Would Chassis Saver just go on the seams or the whole thing as a paint coat?

You can go to harbor freight, and get this: (You don't need air)

4.5" grinder

a couple of these:

80 grit flapper

Chassis saver is a one-part coating that you don't have to mix. Just open can, dip roller in, and roll the stuff onto floor. Great stuff. I used it on my Dodge RV after a ALOT of cutting/welding rust....
[img=212x159]http://oi66.tinypic.com/2ah7gig.jpg[/img]

Gotcha.. is Chassi saver going to give me the black lung ala POR 15? hahah

Also whats the deal with actually cleaning this thing? There's got to be germs galore and microbiome nastiness... grind or sand first then clean? Forget cleaning? Clean then grind/sand?

riggyk said:
Also whats the deal with actually cleaning this thing? There's got to be germs galore and microbiome nastiness... grind or sand first then clean? Forget cleaning? Clean then grind/sand?

If that's a real concern to you, mop it down with a STRONG hot water - Clorox mix, followed by a hot water rinse before you start sanding.   Let it dry before sanding.

Otherwise, if you breath in any of the sanding dust, you'll be breathing in the germs, too.

Ok so here's the status:

1) I started grinding this thing down as I had like an hour and a half before sunset and I went for it full steam, and I have to say: props to steamjam because I bought the cheapo grinder and wheel and it worked great.
- **See pictures but my questions are:

Optimistic Paranoid: Can I still clean this mid-grind or should I wait until I'm done? Or should I just say screw it at this point? (Would still like to! haha)
- I could EASILY see grinding this thing down to bare metal as A) it wasn't that difficult making progess and B) It almost as if I have to spot test every little piece of old paint to see what lies underneath briefly as there ARE some small areas where the paint seems ok but a good majority, once you penetrate the paint, has rust underneath on the metal itself. - So can I just grind this whole thing? Or a good portion of it?
- If so, HOW THE HECK can I get into the recessed grooves without nitpicking up and down an inch in the groove the entire length of the van? - To clarify, if you look at the pictures the cleaned metal actually looks like the recessed portion (optical illusion) but it's really the groove that is convex/sticking up, so it was super easy to just hit the grinder on this smooth/long/easy. - In between each convex bump as a concave area and I can't hit the lengthwise, and I'm curious if there's a tactic here to get this? Or is it just annoying and requires the nitpicky motion an inch at a time?
- If I do grind the majority of this down, should I still hit it with some kind of degreaser or vinegar rinse? The grinder got it pretty damn clean so hard to say...

Lastly, I've also attached a picture of the largest hole scenario in the cargo bed..... let me know what ya'll think about patching that thing...

You guys are great, and thanks for all the help. Truly grateful for these kinds of collectices.

IMG_4071.JPG

IMG_4067.JPG

IMG_4068.JPG

IMG_4074.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4074.JPG
    IMG_4074.JPG
    457.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4068.JPG
    IMG_4068.JPG
    583.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4067.JPG
    IMG_4067.JPG
    624.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4071.JPG
    IMG_4071.JPG
    830.9 KB · Views: 13
Getting the grinder inside the valleys is not that much harder. The newer safety cut off wheels that have can be stacked and used carefully.

Every tool head which can be put on an angle grinder, i have used.

The OsPho cleans paint and metal wonderfully, Put some on a scrubbie sponge with gloves and proper ventilation and go to town. Once it has a while to work, that rust under the paint adjacent to the rusty areas, lifts the paint over the rust. wipe ospho off paint that you wish to keep and protect paint which you really want to keep as good as possible.

I am very experienced with fiberglass and epoxy resins, and happen to have plenty of these materials on hand, and have successfully bonded epoxy to steel and prepped rust. the key is mechanical tooth and a via scratching the oil and paint free steel with 80 grit or lower number sandpaper.

This is the improper way to fix rusted steel, but I do not have easy access to a welder, and am not lifting my fiberglass roof in order to not burn it welding.

Wetting out many layers of fiberglass on some clean uncreased cardboard with epoxy resin, one can simply lift the layered patch off the cardboard and layer it across the holes. i am using epoxy designed primarily for wetting out fiberglass for surfboards or marine applications. System 3 or Apex . This is not store bought 5 minute epoxy. Epoxy must be mixed in a precise ratio or do not bother. I have found measuring by weight instead of volume to allow precision that volume can't match ZVolume on most epoxy is 2 parts resin one part hardener, but by weight, it is usually 100:44 but varies among brand.

I keep saying epoxy, as 'fiberglass resin' is polyester resin, Which does not have near the bonding strength of epoxy, and is more brittle and less flexible, and basically doomed to separate from the steel at some point, even if properly prepped. Perhaps the epoxy is doomed as well, but it will take longer to be realized.

I've also patched some holes in my floor with steel and rivets and 3m 5200.

SternWake said:
Getting the grinder inside the valleys is not that much harder.  The newer safety cut off wheels that have can be stacked and used carefully.

Every tool head which can be put on an angle grinder, i have used.

The OsPho cleans paint and metal wonderfully, Put some on a scrubbie sponge with gloves and proper ventilation and go to town.  Once it has a while to work, that rust under the paint  adjacent to the rusty areas, lifts the paint over the rust.  wipe ospho off paint that you wish to keep and protect paint which you really want to keep as good as possible.

I am very experienced with fiberglass and epoxy resins, and happen to have plenty of these materials on hand, and have successfully bonded epoxy to steel and prepped rust.  the key is mechanical tooth and a via scratching the oil and paint free steel with 80 grit or lower number sandpaper.

This is the improper way to fix rusted steel, but I do not have easy access to a welder, and am not lifting my fiberglass roof in order to not burn it welding.

Wetting out many layers of fiberglass on some clean uncreased  cardboard with epoxy resin, one can simply lift the layered patch off the cardboard and layer it across the holes. i am using epoxy designed primarily for wetting out fiberglass for surfboards or marine applications.  System 3 or Apex . This is not store bought 5 minute epoxy.  Epoxy must be mixed in a precise ratio or do not bother.  I have found measuring by weight instead of volume to allow precision that volume can't match  ZVolume on most epoxy is 2 parts resin one part hardener, but by weight, it is usually 100:44 but varies among brand.

I keep saying epoxy, as 'fiberglass resin' is polyester resin, Which does not have near the bonding strength of epoxy, and is more brittle and less flexible, and basically doomed to separate from the steel at some point, even if properly prepped.  Perhaps the epoxy is doomed as well, but it will take longer to be realized.

I've also patched some holes in my floor with steel and rivets and 3m 5200.

I'm a bit confused here...  should I grind what I can and then hit the tough to get areas with Ospho? Just curious as to how/when Ospho would it in here assuming I'm grinding like 90% of the paint and rust off?

Re: Grinding the valleys, what do you mean exactly here...stacking safety cut wheels?

That's why I recommended sand blasting :D
I been to that rodeo a time or three

but I already have a sandblast gun and a compressor, so it doesn't cost me a lot
usually it's pretty quick, too
in your position I guess I'd just use a wire wheel and do all that tedious grinding until it was 'ok' then use a rust converter, you will NEVER get ALL the rust off

riggyk said:
Ok so here's the status:

1) I started grinding this thing down as I had like an hour and a half before sunset and I went for it full steam, and I have to say: props to steamjam because I bought the cheapo grinder and wheel and it worked great.
- **See pictures but my questions are:

Optimistic Paranoid: Can I still clean this mid-grind or should I wait until I'm done? Or should I just say screw it at this point? (Would still like to! haha)
- I could EASILY see grinding this thing down to bare metal as A) it wasn't that difficult making progess and B) It almost as if I have to spot test every little piece of old paint to see what lies underneath briefly as there ARE some small areas where the paint seems ok but a good majority, once you penetrate the paint, has rust underneath on the metal itself. - So can I just grind this whole thing? Or a good portion of it?
- If so, HOW THE HECK can I get into the recessed grooves without nitpicking up and down an inch in the groove the entire length of the van? - To clarify, if you look at the pictures the cleaned metal actually looks like the recessed portion (optical illusion) but it's really the groove that is convex/sticking up, so it was super easy to just hit the grinder on this smooth/long/easy. - In between each convex bump as a concave area and I can't hit the lengthwise, and I'm curious if there's a tactic here to get this? Or is it just annoying and requires the nitpicky motion an inch at a time?
- If I do grind the majority of this down, should I still hit it with some kind of degreaser or vinegar rinse? The grinder got it pretty damn clean so hard to say...

Lastly, I've also attached a picture of the largest hole scenario in the cargo bed..... let me know what ya'll think about patching that thing...

You guys are great, and thanks for all the help. Truly grateful for these kinds of collectices.

Man that hole is nothing compared to what I had to deal with in my Dodge. To repair a hole like that, first grind off as much of the rust as you can around it. You may end up making the hole bigger as some weak steel falls off, but no worries. Mix up the vinegar/water solution and pour into a spray bottle, spray it on and let sit for 1/2 hour. Then using red scotch-bright, or wire brush, carefully go at it (trying not to cut yourself, wear gloves..) Then you have a choice:

I would weld in new steel, but if you don't have a welder, (I bought a mig welder from Harbor Freight for $99. Its not that great of a welder, but it's always worked when in a pinch.) then go get some fiberglass with epoxy and fill it in.

To get the seams, first use anything sharp (I use an old screwdriver) and scrape the seams as best you can, then spray liberally with vinegar solution, wait a half hour, and use a wirebrush.

If your trying to restore the van, then yes, I would remove every inch of the original paint thats on the floor. If not then there is no need to do that. If you suspect a rust bubble, the easiest way to test it is to pick it with an old ice pick, or other sharp tool. if the bubble pops, more rust repair. You always want to find those rust bubbles and repair them.

To get to the rest of the floor, (Judging from the pics) I would just use a wirebrush, or wire wheel thats on a hand drill, and scrub the recessed areas (ridges?) of the floor to remove any loose paint, or flaky rust. Then just dump a bunch of the vinegar solution all over the floor, wait, scrub, rinse off, wipe it down with some denatured alcohol, then paint over. Done.

I personally like the chassis saver. You can get a gallon of it for the same price as a quart of por-15. If parts of the factory seam sealer is no good, chip away at it, then use construction glue. GREAT STUFF. I've sealed entire car floors, trunks, and quarters with it. Its never let me down.

Also, per the picture of my hole seen before I got the following response:

"Hmm, you might want to get a body shop to actually deal with that. What you don't want to do is bandaid it and then have your floor rot out from under your build"

Is this the move here with a hole of that size?

Also, pardon my newbness but in the event I can get a weld here... does it go inside or underneath the car?

Lastly (apologies for all the sporadic posts here) would it make sense to wait until ALL holes are plugged/covered/tended to either via welding/epoxy or JB Weld until I do any coats of Chassis Saver whatsoever?

My thought is this: - I have a good buddy who does a bit of welding and he might be able to help me out with the hole but it might not be right away. - Can I de-rust the majority of the cargo floor and just lay down Chassis Saver everywhere and leave space for areas with holes? Then once taken care of just go back over them with Chassis Saver? - Or should I just wait until EVERYTHING is plugged up and hit it. I just hate waiting around when I could be deploying myself on the job

riggyk said:
Also, per the picture of my hole seen before I got the following response:

"Hmm, you might want to get a body shop to actually deal with that. What you don't want to do is bandaid it and then have your floor rot out from under your build"

Is this the move here with a hole of that size?

To be honest with you, given the fact that in post #12 you mentioned that you're only going to be living in this van for 1 to 2 years, I think you're really obsessing over this floor unnecessarily.  Throw some plywood over the floor and get on with your build would be my advice.

riggyk said:
Lastly (apologies for all the sporadic posts here) would it make sense to wait until ALL holes are plugged/covered/tended to either via welding/epoxy or JB Weld until I do any coats of Chassis Saver whatsoever?

My thought is this: - I have a good buddy who does a bit of welding and he might be able to help me out with the hole but it might not be right away. - Can I de-rust the majority of the cargo floor and just lay down Chassis Saver everywhere and leave space for areas with holes? Then once taken care of just go back over them with Chassis Saver? - Or should I just wait until EVERYTHING is plugged up and hit it. I just hate waiting around when I could be deploying myself on the job

You can do it either way. Paint now, which since you have bare metal, you have to cover it up anyways and save the holes for later, or just cover up the bare metal areas with cheap rattle can paint for now and wait till you get holes welded up/etc.

It's always better to weld in new steel vs. just filling it in with fiberglass/JB weld. When I just need the vehicle to work, and I don't care how bad/hokey it looks as long as it does the job, I'll just use fiberglass to fill holes and be done with it. Heck, I've even used a piece of tin I cut out of a "Hello-Kitty" lunch pail, and glued it over a rust hole using construction glue. 15 years later, that patch is still there keeping my uncles feet from falling through the floor of his crap Nissan pick up.

If I care, then Ill take the time to cut/patch/butt weld in new panels.

riggyk said:
Also, pardon my newbness but in the event I can get a weld here... does it go inside or underneath the car?

I'd patch from the top.

How much Chassis saver you think would be needed for the whole cargo floor? A gallon?