Rules and Regulations

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StarEcho

Reaction score
Due to the discussions in other threads about various rules and regulations, I thought it might be helpful if people could see a link where they can look up rules and regulations themselves.

This link is to the Electronic Code of Federal Regulations or eCFR

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/ECFR?page=browse

The two Titles that are most pertinent to CRVL are:

[font=Arial, sans-serif]Title 36 - [/font][font=Arial, sans-serif]Parks, Forests, and Public Property[/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]and[/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif][size=small][font=Arial, sans-serif]Title 43 - [/font][font=Arial, sans-serif]Public Lands: Interior[/font][/font][/size]

Title 36 would be where you can look up National Forest dispersed camping.  Title 43 refers to BLM land so that would be where you would find regulations related to dispersed camping on BLM land.

Please note that these are two separate titles or sections to the CRF.  So that means that there are/may be different regulations for National Forest dispersed camping and BLM dispersed camping.  This is pretty important to realize!  Something you can be cited and fined for on National Forest Land may be totally fine on BLM land and vice versa.  

Of course to make matters more confusing, specific parts of each agency can have their OWN rules and regulations which you would then find on the respective websites or in their own offices.  For instance, certain BLM facilities will have their own regulations which may be more restrictive than the CFR states.  The CFR Title 43 is the basic rules can be built upon by individual BLM offices.

So if you go to a specific BLM office and they don't have any specific extra rules pertaining to what you are looking into, then you would be looking at the CFR title 43 rules.

Same with Forest Service.  If you are going to a specific area of the National Forest, look up that specific area and check the rules specific to that area.  If there are no rules or the rules there do not apply to what you are looking for, then you would be guided by the CFR Tile 43 rules.

Link to BLM

https://www.blm.gov/

Link to National Forest

http://www.fs.fed.us/recreation/map/state_list.shtml

Now you can do a search on dispersed camping or rules and regulations on each of these sites and you will be treated to a long list of specific parts of each and their specific rules and regulations.  Just realize that those links are very specific to each site and not the rules for the whole agency.  For rules for the whole agency look to the CFR and for specific rules look to the agency website.  Hope that makes sense.

Hopefully by now you will have realized that a simple search on each respective website is NOT going to give you the overall rules.  You need to go to the CFR for the OVERALL rules and then go to the specific place you are dwelling at the moment or considering and look at the SITE SPECIFIC rules associated with that place.

My goal with this post is to give you the tools to look things up for yourselves and practice critical thinking (the objective analysis and evaluation of an issue in order to form a judgment).  I firmly believe that it is important to be able to find information for yourselves if you want to be able to make your own judgments and decisions.

People love to control others. They feel their environment should be as they wish it. An example of this is the RTR leash rules for dogs. I could find no legal statute for the area to support it. If my dog is on one end of a leash, I am on the other end. I am not going to have anyone put me in that position for two weeks. At 62 I am done jumping through the hoops of others. Some there feel it is fine for their dog to attack another dog as long as theirs is on a leash. They even brag about it. Maybe their should be a muzzle rule for those people, (not their dogs).

So no hard feelings, I just don't belong in that group. There are a million other places for me to set up camp. I may be in one of them. The weather where I live isn't too harsh in the winter, so I may just use that time getting ready for a summer departure to a cooler area.

If my dog is on one end of a leash, I am on the other end.

WOW, thank you! and here i've been thinking i was the only one who ever realized this truism.  i feel like a convict when i'm shackled to my dog, me and her doing the awkward and ungainly canine-human perp walk shuffle.  i don't think bob cared at the rtr but was just saying that it was the blm rule.  first video he posted from the rtr had cody off-leash, if i recall.

I didn't see a video where he was on a leash. I wasn't there, so I can't say how the "rule" was administered. the BLM has that rule for developed campsites. I don't think it applies to disbursed areas. 

I was at Jamie's build out last fall. lots of dogs having fun off leash. No problems that I know of.

DannyB1954 said:
At 62 I am done jumping through the hoops of others.

Yeah, doesn't it seem like after a lifetime of work, following the rules, trying to obey every law and toeing every line that there should be a few years left to do what the f we please if we aren't affecting others? - SOMEPLACE, SOMEWHERE.  Isn't that what this lifestyle is all about?

To be fair, Bob was in between a rock and a hard place concerning the leash rules. I just didn't go along with the outcome. I didn't go away mad, I just went away. Large numbers of people means rules. I prefer smaller groups.