RTV on tranny pan bolts?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

txmnjim

Reaction score
hi all, i'm just wondering if there is a reason (or common practice?) to RTV the bolts holding the
tranny pan up? i would think the gasket was suppose to prevent any leaks? i just had my Focus 
wagon's transmission serviced with filter and fluid change and noticed this when i was poking 
around this morning. thanks!
jim

ok apparently these(07) don't have old style gaskets so apparently
its a RTV style gasket. that would explain what i'm seeing. they
also overfilled it, which i'm taking it back to them this week to drain
some, and i jumped to conclusions. bad habit. thanks anyway ;)

Is it supposed to be checked in PARK or NEUTRAL?

Park just helps keep it from running over you! Have you heard of the Darwin Awards? LOL!!!

bullfrog said:
Park just helps keep it from running over you!!

Most are checked in Park but some aren't. The Dodge vans I used to drive needed to be checked in Neutral.

Helps to have a good e-brake.

Park and neutral are the same (non)gear. Only difference is putting it in park engages the parking pawl.

You are both right. I remember the Dodges that said right on the dip stick to check in neutral. But it is true the only difference is the parking paw. Your larger automatics in big trucks don't even have a park. Put them in neutral and set the parking brake. Highdesertranger

^
There must have been a difference in the Dodges between Park and Neutral how the fluid flows thru the tranny.

And,yes, I'm well aware of what Park does in a vehicle... ;)

My Dodge is supposed to be running and in neutral to check the tranny. I don't know if 'park' would be the same. Also, when checking the oil I have to let it run for a bit, shut it off then check the dipstick in 5 minutes. Otherwise it's not accurate. It's in the owners manual.

Level ground is part of the equation.

Keith (from the forum) just adjusted my emergency brake a few days ago. Now I have one that does something other than dragging the rear brakes when I pop the handle and the brake doesn't totally release. Don't ask. There was smoke involved

Check it both ways and you will know. My old '77 Dodge van made no difference in the level and it said check in neutral. It just wanted you to put it in drive and then reverse before checking.

well for some closure, i took my wagon back to show them it was overfilled and they looked at it (way past max line, and its
supposed to be in the middle of min and max) at said it wasnt a problem. i asked them, after he got the mechanic, if they had
ever heard that overfilling transmission can cause shifting and overheating problems and they said they never heard of that! now,
correct me if i'm wrong but there is all kinds of information to back that online, including on Ford forums? anyhoo, i showed them
my manual and asked the mechanic what makes him more knowledgeable than Ford, and he replied "years of experience" (mind
you i doubt if any of them were over 30) i got upset and demanded they removed some fluid which they finally did. of course
my wife says i was looking for a fight but i don't think so? i doubt i will take my car back to them again just since they argued with
me about it except warranty work on a couple repairs they already did (they actually have a two year warranty on all repairs, which
is great). this morning i started thinking how 6.9 quarts of fluid in the tranny is a lot and i bet the amount it took to move the dip-
stick measurement from middle of min/max to way over max is miniscule...they very well may have been right. they say you should pick
your battles wisely but i've never been like that. and old age isn't helping!

txmnjim said:
.....it they ever heard that overfilling transmission can cause shifting and overheating problems and they said they never heard of that! now,

I'd worry more about blowing out seals but it could probably cause other problems,too.

When the rear main seal was replaced on my '91 Dodge I had a similar experience.  The oil & filter were changed and I noticed on the bill they had charged me for 6 qts. of oil. Even with a filter, that motor (a 318) only holds 4.5 qts. so it was way overfilled.

So I went back and had them remove the excess. The guy at the counter started to give me back $9.00 for the extra 1.5 qts. (they charged $6/qt. for oil they buy in 55 gall. drums for probably $3/qt.).

I told them I didn't want a refund, I just want the correct amount of oil in the crankcase. Excess oil level in a motor can cause the crank to churn the oil into foam and that's not good.

^^they did my oil change too so i just went out and checked it and its a little high but not like the tranny was.
you had me moving pretty quick there slow2day as i didn't even think of that ;)

On older Dodges at least, the transmission pump does not run in park, it must be in neutral and warmed up before checking, if checked in park it will appear to have several quarts more oil, meaning it can be low on fluid causing slippage but show as full if checked in park.

I guess my tranny guy did something so I could check it in park. All I know is when I got it back from him, it would chirp my L60-15's going into second. It had the great 727 in it.