Roof vents /fans

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Disabled-OIF-Vet

Reaction score
UHello I have a question about a vent/fan for my high top van do I need to frame the fiberglass roof or can I just install the fan I have been told I need to build a frame so I was just checking here I know a few have done it themselves 

Thanks

Eeeeks... great question! I also have a fiberglass top! I had not planned on any frame as the fan basically comes with its own?!?

The framework comes in between the roof and the ceiling.  Roof top layer. ~ Insulation, next layer. ~ Ceiling bottom layer.  Framework may or may not be needed.  This all depends on where the ceiling supports are, and how thick the ceiling material is.

yep Got Smart knows. the answer is.........depends. give us some more info, single wall, how thick? double wall what's in the middle, how thick? highdesertranger

I framed mine out for a couple of reasons.

The fiberglass top was single layer and I don't believe in bolting anything, including a roof vent, to just the fiberglass. I wanted something more solid than a 1/4 " of fiberglass for the bolts to be put through. This way there is no stress on the fiberglass.

The inside of the roof was going to be finished off so I needed something to attach the ceiling panels to.

My fiberglass roof was not level all the way around the area where the roof vent was going. I had to build a frame and then shim it in several spots to get it even all the way around. There would have been big gaps between the inside of the vent frame and the trim insert of the vent and the fiberglass roof.

I used 1x2 with the corners being glued and put together with Kreg pocket screws.