Roof vent W/O fan?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SternWake said:
I have the stick on ones from AVS on my 89 dodge van installed for nearly 3 years now.

They do limit the amount the wing window can rotate out.  I do not really use them for their intended purpose.  I like the reduced wind noise at highway speed, and the sun shading at certain times of day.

My ventilation is forced by 12vdc

Thanks, for the info. I like the idea of reduced wind noise too.

GotSmart said:
kathleen, 

Check this site out.  About $35 with shipping.  They can be returned, as Rock Auto is the top seller in the Automotive industry.  They guarantee everything.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...+v6,1430738,accessories,side+window+vent,1124

I have had stick on shades for three years now.  The 3M tape works great. Never a problem.

Discount code
5311227947463423 5% 01 / 01 / 2017
Thanks for that info, links, and discount code, GotSmart. I never knew about Rock Auto. Will check their site tomorrow. Eyes bleary now from hours spent looking at all the great info on this forum!

That link will take you directly to the shades.

Kathleen said:
Thanks, Brian, for taking the time to tell me your experience. I'll print your info and take it with me when I do the install. Interesting that the darker ones fit better. Seems like they'd be the same size. I did realize they'd provide better protection from solar rays and would hide the fact the windows are rolled down a bit. So, I'll most likely pay a bit more and get the dark ones. I rode around the mall parking lot today to look at rain guards on vehicles. They were ALL the darker tint.

I didn't mean to imply the darker ones fit better.  I think they use the same dye to make both of them.

Kathleen, I ordered in the AVS brand of in channel rain guards and installed them myself.

It was way easier than I thought it would be. Check to make sure that they fit before pulling the tape cover off. I really think the big secret of not having future problems with them pulling loose is extreme care in cleaning the window channel BEFORE installation.

I cleaned it with the scrubby pad that came with the rain guards and then shoved blue cleaning clothes up in the channel wiping the dirt out, scrubbed and cleaned out the channel again and again and again until I wasn't getting ANY dirt out of the channel.

The instructions with mine also said to roll up the window all the way and leave it closed for 24 hours before opening the window. It's the rolled up window that presses the rain guard glue on to the inside of the channel so you're technically allowing 24 hours for the glue to set up.

I've used mine now since the last RTR and they're great. I wouldn't be without them and wonder why I never had them on all my vehicles in the past.

Almost There said:
Kathleen, I ordered in the AVS brand of in channel rain guards and installed them myself.

It was way easier than I thought it would be. Check to make sure that they fit before pulling the tape cover off. I really think the big secret of not having future problems with them pulling loose is extreme care in cleaning the window channel BEFORE installation.

I cleaned it with the scrubby pad that came with the rain guards and then shoved blue cleaning clothes up in the channel wiping the dirt out, scrubbed and cleaned out the channel again and again and again until I wasn't getting ANY dirt out of the channel.

The instructions with mine also said to roll up the window all the way and leave it closed for 24 hours before opening the window. It's the rolled up window that presses the rain guard glue on to the inside of the channel so you're technically allowing 24 hours for the glue to set up.

I've used mine now since the last RTR and they're great. I wouldn't be without them and wonder why I never had them on all my vehicles in the past.
Thanks for the detailed info on cleaning before installation and the 24 hour wait period with windows rolled up. Yes, I read that it is very important that the channels be ultra clean. And one video said real clean windows too. Some sites say 12 hour wait period. I think your 24 hour wait time, recommended by some, is safer. I can use my daily driver while the van windows are shut.

I agree, these seem like such useful items, I'm amazed they are not more common. Am sure I will enjoy mine. Oh, and another question, it's real cold here at 7k feet and van parked in driveway, not heated garage. Do you think the cold impacts the ability of the adhesive to stick??? :huh:

Absolutely.

Even the proper surface prep will not help when it is too cold.

When it warms up, perhaps the solvents in the adhesive have already evaporated, and more pressure applied then will perhaps not do anything.

I'd wait for 65F or warmer, or use a hair drier before during and after application.

SternWake said:
Absolutely.

Even the proper surface prep will not help when it is too cold.

When it warms up, perhaps the solvents in the adhesive have already evaporated, and more pressure applied then will perhaps not do anything.

I'd wait for 65F or warmer, or use a hair drier before during and after application.

Very helpful, SternWake. Thank you for the heads up. I wondered about installing them in the cold. Goes below zero here most winters. Even in summer, temps dip to 50's, sometimes 40's during the night. Big difference between day and night temps in high desert.