Roamin' Ruby in da house (err driveway)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SheketEchad

Reaction score
b2f.jpgside view.jpgView attachment 24502View attachment 24502View attachment 24502f2b.jpg1st dinner.jpgThird night sleeping in the van, still trying to acclimate, figure out what I need for first foray out of the yard, and seeing just how many weird looks I can garner from the neighbors :D  Cooked my first grill dinner last night, before all I had done was ramen-ish stuff and sammiches.

She came already built-out and although there are some minor irritations, I'm good with it for now. I don't like carpet, but that modification will have to wait until I am down south where my handy SIL can help me out to put in wood or vinyl flooring.

Here are some photos (at least I hope I do this correctly!

Attachments

• f2b.jpg
    f2b.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 33
  • 1st dinner.jpg
    1st dinner.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 44
  • side view.jpg
    side view.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 44
  • b2f.jpg
    b2f.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 35
tools.jpghardware.jpgpoor awning.jpgYesterday I had to fix the metal strip that holds down the carpeting in the back. I used the 'good' tools, lol.  A computer screwdriver, a brick and box cutter, along with some metal glue and an impromptu created firring( sp?) strip to attach the screw down..

My first piece of art arrived, ordered from a UK van dweller.  I have Klimt's "Tree of Life" in my S&B, so I wanted a smaller version for the road. I'll have to find that picture and add it later.

Picture of the locking hardware in the van (nice, if fumbly if your hands are full).  Most cabinet doors have eye hooks in the ceiling to hold the doors open, and also have little external clips on top of the latches to ensure they remain shut.

And my poor man's awning - black out curtains doing dual purpose, lol.

Attachments

• tools.jpg
    tools.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 21
  • hardware.jpg
    hardware.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 22
  • poor awning.jpg
    poor awning.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 26
That looks like a cozy, comfortable set up!
But Bob would have to ask about how you use the bathroom... lol

Right now, a bottle for liquids and a luggable loo knock off for solids, lol. My initial excursion will be at a campground next weekend, but since I'll be trying boondocking on the way out to TN and up through KY, I'll have time to experiment. Then I'll make a run down to FL in November after working out the logistics on the first couple of trips and see if that remains comfortable or if I need to step up to a Thetford.

I've used the woods while primitive camping for all things, but I did not care for it a whole lot - bark on the butt isn't my favorite experience. My mom nearly died when I answered that question from her, roflmao. But I was alone on 400 acres, not boondocking with other people around so I wasn't too worried about privacy on that trip.

I like it. Is that a steak on the grill???? I hate carpet too and just got a new to me RV and the bedroom has carpet... I’ll figure something out in time. No matter what carpet gets grody.

Yes ma'am, a nice NY Strip I got on sale for 2.75, and broccolini with butter and salt, washed down with a decent red. However, my built in cooking table will not accommodate my current Coleman stove :/ So I need to either pack another table or buy a smaller unit for boondocking w/out picnic table amenities. Trying to figure out what's cheapest in that arena, as I doubt steak will be my staple on the road, haha. That was my Shabbat treat for the weekend.

Hmmm. That might be a viable option rather than a second stove. Has the table held up well for you?

Yes but I don't use it as my main cooking space either. I have a full kitchen inside. I use the table's outside for grilling.. I also carry a small (20" square?) folding formica topped table that I use mostly. I also carry a formica topped picnic table with benches but I have quite a bit of storage space. The small picnic table and benches are handy for pot lucks. The small formica one would hold up better for continual use if you have the space. I suggested the rollup for space but the little formica table is only about an inch thick folded.

Shekat, look like a nice build, cabinets look well made. 

What I found with my own van (regular length) is that one of the most important things was to have a goodly amount of free floor space, else I could barely turn around in there. Yours appears to have good floor space. If the bed folds backwards you can always get a folding up-down table for the front.

https://www.google.com/search?q=small+wooden+fold+down+table&tbm=isch&sa=X

https://www.kotulas.com/deals/outdo...ure/folding-acacia-wood-balcony-table-natural

https://www.amazon.com/Mounted-Wooden-Folding-Stable-Construction/dp/B07WCWVSFX

I have a small folding table like yours that I use with a 1-burner coleman stove to cook outdoors.

One thing you might consider is to get a small carpet to put over the one that's in there. It will be easy to pull out and clean and will keep the permanent one from getting too dirty.

I have seen it done here where a link is converted into a word such as for this would have been table.  Click on "table" and it takes you to the item but I don't see any tools here to do that. 

Table try

I think I just found it.  Maybe an old dog can lean new tricks.

Not working like I thought it would.  Seemed straight forward.  It didn't like the shortened url.  Now it works.

Thanks, y'all. Lots of ideas to consider for this issue - of course, only problematic when I am at a location w/out amenities. But since I hope that will be nearly 70% of the time, it would be nice.

I put some little scatter rugs in here today - once the dog gets in here, it will be totally rekt, lol. But I can preserve it for a short while(until I spill coffee on it!)

Yes, I am finding it crucial to keep the floor space uncluttered, particularly with all of the electronic gear I have for work. I don't want to be found hanging half out of my van by a noose of electrical cords 0_0

Maki2 said it didn't take long to learn where to stoop, but I'll be sam hill if I forget at least once a day still, and catch my hair clip far more often. I'd better purchase more arnica gel for bruises :)

maki is right. The bulkhead in my GMC van was screwed together, but I bought a door kit and installed it. For a while when going back to front, I kept banging my head on a nasty metal edge, but eventually occurred what I believe is called muscle memory. So rarely bang it anymore. Prior to that I did tape some softer material close to the edge and that helped.

I do like those fold down tables. In my van I have a wooden fold down computer desk, and I sit at it in a folding deck chair. Just like working at home.

Right now I'm working from a TV table and sit on the couch/bed. Otherwise the sunlight is too bright on the screen outside where the nice breezes are. I had to use a spatula (is this an actual tool?) to remove the dome light in order to have the doors open and not be roasting, hah!

I like that last table B&C referenced the best I think. I have two really large overhead compartments above the cab and then in the back that are fairly deep. I put my Jimmy Buffet camp chair in there with ease, so I believe I can put a table like that in there with no problem.

The goal is to put all of my lighter weight stuff up overhead and save the rear floor space for my solar gear - heavy and takes up a lot of room. Plus there are so many bins! Spent most of half a day measuring them all so I can plan packing around the size of compartment. My RV storage was pretty automatically weight balanced using the basement; here I am not so sure how to manage the load distribution. Learning curve ahead!

HI you will make this what you need and desire and what suits you :) no reason to push that and learn what is best for you....and hitting a sale on steaks as ya travel is a good focus to add to your life cause that steak looks fine :)
great pics also, love them!

Qxxx said:

Yes, I feel fortunate that the build was done nicely.  Now just to figure out what to put where so it's handy when and where I want to use it.  The latches are awesome, and the secondary clips for when you're parked are a nice touch as well. One cabinet is even a bi-fold door type, and has an inner under storage, making me think that's going to be my larder/pantry area.  However, my solar panels take up ALL of the nice back floor space each night.  

I wish I knew how or even if, I could do that wooden wall mounted table - that's the shnizzle there.   There is a nice thick wooden window frame it might could be attached to, hmmm.  May have to hit up the handy neighbor and see if he's willing to attempt that. Since the bottom brace holds the table off from the wall a bit, that might circumvent the little bulge/well thing that is right in the wall there.  I could have TWO tables, one for inside and one for outside.  And also a money tree to carry with me when I go so that I will always have money for these nifty things :)

Love all of the ideas - y'all have already worked out the bugs and kinks that I am just discovering, so I appreciate the experienced input.

Yeah, it's all a matter of looking at what you have and vectoring off of that a step at a time. Try something, if it doesn't work, try another idea. The wooden frame beneath the window on the left looks the right height to attach a table. Maybe an extra board extending down. I've seen a lot of builds with fold down tables, so you can have both work space and floor space too. With a table on the left wall, you can always sit at it with a deck chair.

Then a folding table for outside and you have it made. I find my 14" x19" wooden folding table is adequate for cooking and other outside uses.

Latest posts