Road Trip Upcoming

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

missylc21601

Reaction score
Hi all! New member. I've been lurking on the YouTube channel for a while. I'm doing a 3-week roadtrip from Maryland to Wyoming and back soon. Currently in a Mazda 3 hatchback, but hoping to get something taller for trips like this. I'm an experienced Assateague Island National Seashore camper if anyone ever ventures out this way.

Welcome missylc21601 to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

I travel in my Mazda 3 sedan. I lay the back seatback down and have room to sleep. I use a fair amount of padding such as a couple of backpacking mats and a comforter style sleeping bag below me to smooth the bumps. I live full time in my Class A motorhome but prefer to do any travel in my Mazda. I hope you enjoy it as much as I have.

Mine's been a great car. I'd just like to have more headroom with the seats folded down and I'd prefer a 4WD/AWD at this point. I'm looking at the CX9, which is the SUV version, along with a couple comparables.

Missylc - welcome to the Forum and have a great trip. Take some pictures and then write us about how it turns out. As to Assateague Camping I have some experience there and when I think of it I start to itch, those sand fleas are nasty.

nature lover said:
Missylc - welcome to the Forum and have a great trip. Take some pictures and then write us about how it turns out.  As to Assateague Camping I have some experience there and when I think of it I start to itch, those sand fleas are nasty.
Just catching up on this thread -- I've never had a problem with the sand fleas at Assateague. The mosquitoes, on the other hand.... Makes it worthwhile to camp in the wind at the beach rather than on the bay side.

Just an update! I upgraded to a 2017 Toyota Highlander. I'll certainly miss some of the advantages of the compact Mazda3, but I think the extra space inside the Highlander will be worth the higher gas costs. Hopefully.