Rifraff's Transmission Catastrophe

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PastTense

Reaction score
From his Quick and Dirty Conversion thread:
"The transmission has had enough. No amount of fudging between D 1 and 2 to get it out of first works anymore. Estimated cost to fix between $1600 and $2000. I'm in big trouble...

I figured the failure would be a bit more gradual at the end. I suppose it was and I just pretended it was going to be ok... I had to switch to 1 at every stop light to get out of first for the last month."

When I had transmission trouble with my car I simply had my transmission replaced with a used transmission from a junkyard by a local shadetree mechanic--total cost a few hundred dollars.

So wouldn't an alternative for Rifraff be to check the local salvage yards for a transmission and find a mechanic to do the work on Craigslist?

What the? My tranny is now famous!! =)

Looking into what can be done. Right now I'm just wondering how I can keep up with ebay sales etc that I already have posted. A couple ended last night and 150 end on Saturday. It's a terrible feeling to be stranded.

But back on topic. I was told by some other vandwellers I've met here that there is a CET group (basically students that will do the work for free) assuming I can get a used tranny. Not sure exacty how that works but might be something that I can deal with after Saturday.

There are also different mechanics in the area I've been referred to for this kind of thing. I've never done any mechanical work on vehicles in my life, always let the pros take care of it. I don't know how to search junkyards or a pick 'n pull or whatever.. wouldn't even know what I'm looking for.

I should definitely check to see if there are Aamco's in the area. I get the feeling they'd be able to give me the straight answers.

Yes I did notice a slew of terrible reviews on yelp. The owner refuted the bad reviews and it was a bit comical. Nevertheless I took my van there (Aamco) and was surprised it made it without issue. It seems like once it has had a chance to cool down its good for a few shifts before scrapping out again. The guy working there was friendly and listened intently to my description of how it had been acting up until today then checked the "check engine" light and it was reading two codes. One was confirmation of the transmission being f'ed. The other he said was something to do with a tune up which was odd because I had a tune up on it only a short time ago.

In the end there seemed to be little doubt that I needed my transmission rebuilt or swapped with another. The price range he quoted was similar to what the other mechanic had suggested.. a little higher even. $1600-$2200 for a used one, $3000 for all new parts.

Seems like I can still drive it a a little bit as it stands. Just have to rest it every little while to let it cool down. Seems like heat plays a big part as when it's hot it can't create enough pressure to shift. Got to storage and photo'd more stuff to sell which is big. If I can keep doing that I can potentially get ahead of this thing.

I don't trust Aamco. I have a rebuild from them, (2650$ in 2001, in SantaBarbara) but they are fools who use the bulk universal fluid and claim it is just as good ad the spec'd fluid, which is synthetic.

On my transmission this caused shuddering, and they kept insisting it was my engine, over and over again while it was still in warranty. This was a shop in NJ.

They then claimed they were going to replace my torque converter under warranty
They did nothing but hold my van for a few days. I tied a hair around one of the bolts they would have to remove. it was still there when i picked it up.

It was later that I found out about the universal fluid with friction modifiers added, and I had the fluid exchanged with atf+3 at a dodge stealership and the shuddering went away and has not returned. and i now have 75k on the rebuild.

Later in 2002, I lost overdrive. It was my vehicle speed sensor, which is a 35 dollar part, but they charged me well over a hundred for just the part, and all they did was clean the contacts on the VSS and charge me f3x for a part they never replaced and 3 hours labor on a part which takes about 5 minutes to replace.

Still in total fool mode, I'd asked them install an additional transmission cooler, and they added one, but disconnected the cooler in the radiator, instead of putting it in series so both coolers were operational.

i was a fool who did not work on my own van at the time, but incidents like these made me realize how important it was to learn.

I'd avoid Aamco like the plague. I hold them in the highest contempt possible. But there was one guy in Colorado who was helpful when I was concerned about the nose 3rd gear was making. He took the time to show me the parts list, and how the new gear they used on the rebuild was cut at less of an angle to cause less pressure on a side bearing, which causes more noise but at an improved reliability.

I'd wanted a nationwide chain as I was a x country driving maniac at the time, but I'd not do that again.

Some junkyards will also do the install.

To add to the horror stories, my one tangle with AAMCO was back in the late 70's. I had put my '68 AMC AMX two-seater into storage for nearly a year on the AFB I was stationed. I had another car to drive during this time.
When I got the AMX back from the storage lot, it was shifting strangely - between 45 and 55 MPH, it kept jumping between 2nd and 3rd gear (Chrysler 727 tranny, "Shift Command" as AMC called it). I took it to AAMCO, they guy test drove it, and said it needed a $500 overhaul (cheaper back then.... :) ). I didn't like that, so was about to go elsewhere, when a second mechanic at the same shop looked at it. He found it was the kick-down switch at fault. So I paid less than $5 for the part. I never installed it. I got into the habit of simply shifting manually, as if it were a manual tranny. This was a Sporty Car, so it worked fine. Eventually sold the car. Later I did the same manual shifting on occasion with my '75 Firebird. Really improves acceleration. But not all auto trannies have that capability.

This morning it was struggling to get out of first, even after being rested all night. Yesterday might have been a fluke. I'll try to not drive it today too far.

riffraff said:
This morning it was struggling to get out of first, even after being rested all night. Yesterday might have been a fluke. I'll try to not drive it today too far.

I understand the reason why you're trying to push it, but it sounds to me that you are extremely close to total failure. Do you have AAA, or will you have to pay to have it towed? And do you know WHERE you are going to have it towed to?

Do you have ANY other options for getting around, like a bicycle, or something?

Time to have your fallback plans in place, I'm thinking.

Regards
John

No AAA. I figured I'd just putt putt it in 1st thru side streets to get to a place to park if needed. If I can get to storage and back (4 miles each way) I can continue to try and raise funds for the fix... not sure how feasible that is at this point.

I'll have help Sunday getting there and back to deal with the mass auctions ending Saturday.

No bike, there are buses to take although the gate at storage only will open with the weight of a car at the keypad.. and carrying lots of boxes in and out, around on a bus or whatever to the post office.. seems iffy.

Good ideas. Even home depot allows truck rentals by the hour. Would have to take a bus there. Everything is possible with a little imagination I suppose :)

riffraff what vehicle, what year, what model trans are we talking? highdesertranger

2000 Dodge Ram 2500 cargo van automatic transmission

riffraff said:
I'll have help Sunday getting there and back to deal with the mass auctions ending Saturday.

There is a remote possibility someone here would be interested in bidding on some of your auctions. Ask Bob to what extent you could advertise them here (perhaps in the Marketplace or perhaps in a sig).
Perhaps a moderator could comment?

It's fine - I think most ppl here are wanting to get rid of junk, not accumulate more of it =)

Today I tried something new. Went to O'Reilly's and bought some transmission fluid. I saw elsewhere on these forums in an unrelated post that this particular transmission wants a certain type of fluid. ATF +4? Anyway the guy at the counter confirmed this and added it for me. Now I asked him to put in only 1/2 of the quart as that's what the other mechanic told me I was low on, but for some reason he put the whole bottle in. Next something amazing happened.

I'm driving to the library and the check-transmission light was off. o_O I still had to play games with it, putting it in "1" to get it out of first, but it was working like it did a month ago! I drove past the library and tested my luck heading to storage to mail out sold items that had been sitting there for a day or 2.

Now I had checked the level myself, and it was not in the "add" range (it was close to it tho). The mechanic who I barely got it to earlier in the week checked the level and said it was 1/2 quart low but that adding fluid wouldn't make any difference in its current state. These were the main reasons I had not tried this before. Still, I feel a bit stupid not trying it anyway. It was a $7.50 "fix" that has seemingly given me back use of my van, at least temporarily. I have not notice any leaking.

Tomorrow I will drive myself to storage to fulfil the auctions that are ending as I type this. I will also go to the GOOD gym. Catastrophe seems to be averted for the moment. It's been a good day.

I haven't thought about it - I'll check it out tho.. thanks!

It can be very hard to find a good mechanic . I shadetree on my personal vehicles and it amazes me what some shops tell people ...case in point I have a friend older woman tell me a shop told her the transmission drive belt was shot there's no such thing .It's the serp belt on engine that needs replacing ...