rest areas

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hausmutti

Reaction score
There are several states on this list that say overnight parking is not permitted.  Has anyone had trouble sleeping in their vans or rv's while traveling and overnighting in rest areas?  I went from IL to CA and back and slept in several rest areas and never had a problem.  

https://www.rvtripwizard.com/rv-info/state-road-laws.php

I think they probably put those signs up so that they can enforce it if needed. Like when someone moves in and starts setting up a little camp there. For the rest that get a little sleep while traveling I don't think they will ever have a problem.

I too have overnighted in places where it was supposed to be restricted, and never had a problem. I suspect it varies widely according to how much they really enforce it, where the rest stop is located, how much of a pest one is being, and the phases of the moon or something.

One would of course be taking a risk, but I have done it. Just for one night while going from place to place, though.

My preferred go-to spot for overnighting has always been Walmart or Cracker Barrel.

^
It just seems strange that the states can be so different and I wonder why they want to make it so hard?  Wouldn't they rather have me sleeping at the rest area than driving on the interstate at night when I'm exhausted?   I stayed at a couple of amazing rest areas in TX.  There was a guy who watched monitors all night long and it was very safe there.

hausmutti said:
^ I wonder why they want to make it so hard? 

They don't want their highway rest stops to become homeless camps.

lenny flank said:
They don't want their highway rest stops to become homeless camps.

I understand that, but how do the states that welcome overnighters manage to have nice, clean, secure rest areas.  Some of these states don't even allow truck drivers to overnight.  I can see where rest areas near large metro areas might have a problem, but even the homeless wouldn't want to hang out in Iowa LOL

Never had problem 1 last time a couple with a dog like deadheads were begging for gas money while eating potato chips and drinking cola. Really

wagoneer said:
Never had problem 1 last time a couple with a dog like deadheads were begging for gas money while eating potato chips and drinking cola. Really

Yeah, I've run into a couple of those on my trips.

deadwood said:
I think they probably put those signs up so that they can enforce it if needed. Like when someone moves in and starts setting up a little camp there. For the rest that get a little sleep while traveling I don't think they will ever have a problem.

Those signs are intimidating, though  LOL

Make attempts to be friendly with the custodian as they are usually alone and feel vulnerable like anyone else "a little love goes a long way"

I have slept in plenty of them with time limits, never had a problem. but I just pull in sleep for a few hours and leave. highdesertranger

If you present well as a "citizen", worst case they move you on, never heard of anyone getting fined.

Rest easy

I've been kicked out of a couple of Florida rest areas after a few hours. It's generally the ones that are crowded and have overnight security. If they aren't crowded or don't have dedicated security guards it's generally not a problem to stay overnight. As mentioned, they'll just wake you up and ask you to leave. Oddly enough the ones I was kicked out of did not have signs saying no overnight parking or specifying a time limit, at least none that I could find.

Some "Barneys" like to assert themselves and show us travelers who's boss.

I've slept in several rest areas throughout the western US and have never been bothered or even contacted by police. It's usually pretty obvious that I'm sleeping there too. Never spent more than 8 hours though.

highdesertranger said:
I have slept in plenty of them with time limits,  never had a problem.  but I just pull in sleep for a few hours and leave.  highdesertranger

I can't see too well at night so can't do that much any more.  I have done that before, though.

I always try to use highway rest areas (aka safety rest areas) when I do road trips, and have never had a problem...
Then again, I'm using them for their intended purpose and not trying to live there long-term.  

I like them because unlike the side of the road or a Walmart packing lot, you don't look out of place sitting in them all night, so the cops leave you alone.

I've never heard of a rest area that didn't allow overnight parking, but then I'e never looked outside of California.  
Seems odd given they're designed to let you sleep / rest so you don't kill yourself on the road.

A bud who is still working for the Florida Highway Patrol (and his troop includes I-95) told me long ago what has been surmised here...unless you are complained upon for starting trouble, they couldn't care less. As with most cops, if you are the cause of them generating paperwork... you're gone!

Almost every night I'm in a different rest area. I cycle between the same handful each week. I've even.pushed it to two nights in a row, and a couple times a week in the same spot. Each one says a time limit and no overnight parking. I've been dwelling a year in January, and have never had any issues.
**and to edit - I also know another husband/wife team I cross paths with at these stops pretty often. So I'm not the only one.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Yeah, it mystifies me why this is apparently an issue in some places.

Here on the west coast, all three states would far rather you pull off and nap than nap while you're driving. Six hour limit, which is plenty of time to recover, and I've never run into anyone timing you either. No campfires, no tents. Cooking with your camp stove is fine. Especially in summer, with lots of people on the road, it can sometimes feel a bit like a slumber party with strangers. The traffic can be a bit loud though.

Night before the eclipse, some of the larger rest areas in Oregon were staffed for the night (they usually aren't.) The one where I stayed is also a put-in/take-out for a popular river, and reaches under the overpass to the other side. The attendant said there were several hundred vehicles there. He wasn't there to enforce the time limit either, but to make sure the restrooms were stocked with plenty of TP and that people were parking in an orderly fashion so no one was boxed in.