Residing in Tornado Alley / Dealing with Hail / Bad Weather

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TechnoRose

Reaction score
So until I get my actual van to travel out of state, I'll be staying in my wagon around home (Dallas, TX). I'm a newbie to the lifestyle so please forgive my naivety.

My assumption is that if there is bad weather, seek out family or friends with foundation housing for temporary lodging. However, what if I can't do this? Where should I go if there is a tornado warning / watch? There are tons of huge parking structures that should be really sturdy, but I can't stay there for long most of the time.

I will state that I don't know of one major tornado in Dallas in a decade at least. We get giant hail more than tornados.

You will be getting more earthquakes. :)
The advantage of a mobile home is, it is.

I believe tornado alley goes as far south as north Austin TX. I'm south of Austin, which puts me out of the zone. Back when I was 23, I bot a brand new 1973 charge se. I had it two months and it got hit by golf size hail. I'm very care now when it comes to storms. Last small twister type tornado we had was about 20 years ago. Weather, as far as storms has been pretty good here lately. Which I live about 100 mile south of Austin.

I think I'd just watch out my windows, and if I saw one coming...drive the opposite way.

Quite simple really.

Uh, Patrick, is your advice based on the theory that tornados never happen when you're sleeping, or on the theory that they will still be clearly visible on a pitch black night?

Technorose, you need one of those weather alert radios with the capability of raising the dead whenever the weather services send out a warning. They can be programmed for different events, even non-weather emergencies like a train derailment with a toxic chemical spill.

I believe the warnings are broadcast on a county basis, so you need to reprogram them whenever your physical location changes.

Regards
John

I bought a Buick for $2900.  I drove it for 100,000 miles, and gave it to my daughter.  She had hail damage, and the insurance company gave her $2500 for it in a TA, with us buying it back.  She got another 50,000 miles and sold it for $1200.  

About 50 people are killed each year by tornadoes.  230 struck by lightning, 500 win the powerball of $1 million or more. The odds are better buying lottery tickets.