Replace the alternator, it should be such a simple job

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anm

Reaction score
I had to replace the alternator on my Astro.
1. Got a rebuilt from Autozone, put it on and the headlights flicker, the voltmeter flickers, it has to have a bad diode or stator winding.
2. Got a replacement rebuild, it doesn't work at all.
3. Got another replacement rebuild, yay it works!
4. Kinda. Every so often this alternator goes up to ~20 volts. I shut the van off start it, shut it off, start it... after a dozen or so iterations it's back to normal.
5. But it's intermittent, most of the time it's okay, just that occasionally it goes into 'let's fry the electronics' mode.
6. Back at AutoZone they said no more, and they gave me a complete refund — I couldn't get my core back since it had already been sent off but they did give me the core deposit.
7. At this point I had already decided to get a new alternator rather than a rebuild. I looked on Amazon and I could buy a brand new ACDelco alternator for less than the amount AutoZone refunded me.
8. The new alternator was not the same, it is larger, higher amperage, so I had to replace the serpentine belt with a slightly longer one.
But now it's working great and it only took me 23 days!

anm said:
I had to replace the alternator on my Astro.
1. Got a rebuilt from Autozone, put it on and the headlights flicker, the voltmeter flickers, it has to have a bad diode or stator winding.
2. Got a replacement rebuild, it doesn't work at all.
3. Got another replacement rebuild, yay it works!
4. Kinda. Every so often this alternator goes up to ~20 volts. I shut the van off start it, shut it off, start it... after a dozen or so iterations it's back to normal.
5. But it's intermittent, most of the time it's okay, just that occasionally it goes into 'let's fry the electronics' mode.
6. Back at AutoZone they said no more, and they gave me a complete refund — I couldn't get my core back since it had already been sent off but they did give me the core deposit.
7. At this point I had already decided to get a new alternator rather than a rebuild. I looked on Amazon and I could buy a brand new ACDelco alternator for less than the amount AutoZone refunded me.
8. The new alternator was not the same, it is larger, higher amperage, so I had to replace the serpentine belt with a slightly longer one.
But now it's working great and it only took me 23 days!

Just replaced the alternator on my 1980 E250 4x4 with a new 140 amp one wire from Summit Racing for $125. About an hour and a half to r+r including rewire and a couple of beers......man I love these old rigs.

Man, sometimes when it rains, it pours. Glad you got it sorted in the end.

Yeah it was a struggle, but I have a new ACDelco 145 amp alternator, I've never had one give me so much grief...

With your extensive technical background I'm a bit surprised that you did not crack open the failed alt and fix it yourself.

I have no use for rebuilt alternators, starters and water pumps.  Most of the time they are junk these days.

Sounds like in the end the upgraded new alt was almost worth all the trouble.

29chico said:
With your extensive technical background I'm a bit surprised that you did not crack open the failed alt and fix it yourself.

I have no use for rebuilt alternators, starters and water pumps.  Most of the time they are junk these days.

Sounds like in the end the upgraded new alt was almost worth all the trouble.

I had considered taking it apart and replacing the regulator but just decided to take the easy way out! :mad:
Yes, I think the new ACDelco I got was worth it in the end, it's just a shame what I had to go through to get to this point!

I agree with Chico. todays remanufactured parts are a crap shoot at best. lifetime warranties mean nothing when you have to replace a part 5 times to get a decent one. I find the best rebuilt parts come from a small rebuilder that you go directly to. highdesertranger