Renogy Solar kit good/not good?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott3569

Reaction score
Ok Group,

After speaking to several of you on another thread.. I have decided on the Solar kit below.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/cart/view.html?ref_=nav_cart

is there any reason I would need a control more than 20v?? 

since it is a 12v system, I would imagine 20v is sufficient

I will add another solar panel early down the road, but this is to just get me started and also to help me plan out my build better

I am 99% positive I will be connecting 2 100AH batteries, or maybe I need to look into 1 200ah battery

does any one see anything wrong with this system?

Do I need to think about any fuses in the process of setting this up? I have considered getting a small fuse panel for the few accessories.

Renogy products are very good. Their price point is fair. You must have a fuse at the battery positive sized to protect the awg wire you use.

That link doesn't go anywhere. No idea what product you're looking at. But yes, you need appropriate fuses to protect the wiring and components. If you have the possibility of upgrading to more watts of solar panels in the future, save and spend more money on the appropriate charge controller now so you don't have buy twice later down the line. Trust me, this will end up biting you in the arse later on...

Scott3569 said:
Ok Group,

After speaking to several of you on another thread.. I have decided on the Solar kit below.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/cart/view.html?ref_=nav_cart

is there any reason I would need a control more than 20v?? 

The link goes to your empty cart.  You mean 20 amps, right?   The 20A Renogy MPPT controller I have can handle 260 watts of solar. I've seen advice on the forum that you should spec 20% over, so for a 20A CC that would be about 208 watts max (.8 x 260).

PlethoraOfGuns said:
That link doesn't go anywhere. No idea what product you're looking at. But yes, you need appropriate fuses to protect the wiring and components. If you have the possibility of upgrading to more watts of solar panels in the future, save and spend more money on the appropriate charge controller now so you don't have buy twice later down the line. Trust me, this will end up biting you in the arse later on...
I certainly agree, I posted a better link to the actual product I am looking at. I am quite sure I could add another panel down the line with this kit.

Renogy is kinda of expensive. Do you get the free shipping on that kit? I got my panels from SanTan but I went to their warehouse and picked them up, so no shipping. You won't beat Santan's prices. Highdesertranger

Yes, that link works. You can have two 100watt panels on that 20A MPPT controller. Those controllers are also rated at 100volts so you can wire them in series no problem. I believe Santan does have great pricing on used panels as well.

Scott, I have that same kit and I like it. I am charging 2 6volt golf cart batteries, 230 watts and it is working great. I don't have a heavy load and I also have a 3500 watt lp gas generator for backup. Hope you enjoy your units.

Renogy has basically no support and they will ignore you if you need to warranty anything. Try to call Renogy support. You will get a phone tree that hangs up on you in an hour or so.

I almost lost $500. to Renogy they are a very dishonest company. If you do order from them make sure you go thru Amazon so you have a way to get you money back if things go south.

With Renogy you will pay about 30% more for everything and you have no real warranty.

All the solar stuff on the market is coming from giant producers in China, basically same stuff different branding and marketing on it.

I've never had an issue with Renogy equipment, always worked great. But I am wearing of their customer service and warranties too. I called them once for some technical questions and got some guy who didn't speak the best english who hastily just answered yes to all my questions. Didn't trust any of that. I'm having much better luck with Victron equipment.

I have been using Grape Solar panels for about 10 years now and no issues. Those panels do say made in USA as well. And they didn't break the bank. I get them through Home Depot.

Plus one on Home Depot. I ordered a couple of 200 watt panels online at the beginning of the week and picked them up from the local despot this afternoon.

After I had problems with Renogy, I called Grape Solar to see if they had real support a guy answered the phone in 3 rings and said "of course we have support". I ended up buying another brand but they were second on my list to have picked up at Home Depot.

Most times, trying to save money ends up costing you more money. I do it all the time unfortunately, it sucks...

I agree with the above posters who say renogy has good product but a crappy business model. It takes a lot of patience to get a rep on the phone for any purpose.

Funny Renogy story: I called to order my soloar suitacse, rather than ordering online. Their website had a warning about possible delays due to Covid, and I had a limited time at the RV park I was at to install solar stuff and a new subfloor/floor, etc. The rep assured me that the panels would arrive within 7-10 days. Well, they didn't. The invoice ( that I had to call back for because they didnt send it like they were supposed to) said it shipped 3 days after I ordered. Well... Nothing. So I called again and got them to give me the FedEx tracking number. According to FedEx, the label had been made and they were awaiting the package. On and on. Call after call. My time at the park ticking away. Finally, my daughter who works for the BBB contacted them through FB, I think. So I soon got my solar suitcase. 2 days later, ANOTHER solar suitcase with the same tracking number shows up. Idiots and liars, imo. Their sales office and their warehouse apparently have communication issues. And yes, off course I sent the duplicate shipment back, after making them assure me that they would not charge my credit card their restocking fee.

PlethoraOfGuns said:
I've never had an issue with Renogy equipment, always worked great. But I am wearing of their customer service and warranties too. I called them once for some technical questions and got some guy who didn't speak the best english who hastily just answered yes to all my questions. Didn't trust any of that. I'm having much better luck with Victron equipment.

I have been using Grape Solar panels for about 10 years now and no issues. Those panels do say made in USA as well. And they didn't break the bank. I get them through Home Depot.
Just did a search for Victrons Dc-Dc charger.. theirs is slightly cheaper than Renogy.. and yes I agree, when we try to save money on cheaper products, We don't truly save