Renogy solar 100W kit ordered

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squash

Reaction score
Just ordered this kit from Amazon...it seems to have great reviews. I see alot of folks with 2 deep cycle marine batteries....is this the way to go with this kit? More amp hours, right? I'll probably run a 1000W inverter with it.

That seems to be a great kit at a great price, it should serve you well!

Marine batteries are rated by group size. The smallest is group 24, 27, 29 and largest is 31. Although sometimes 29 and 31 are interchangeable.

Probably a single group 29 or 31 would be all you can charge with just 100 watts, especially in the winter. It will also be cheaper than a pair of group 24s or 27s.

I've found a 400 watt inverter to be all I need. Do you have something specific you want to run that requires 1000 watts?
Bob

I also got that package, a 100 watt panel and the Renology 30 pwm charge controller, and it is still working. The charge controller appears to be adequate in temperate weather, but come winter, because their is no temperature compensation sensor at the batteries, one might expect that the voltage will not be regulated upward to compensate for the much colder temperatures. This Renology charge controller is very inexpensive, less than half the cost of a Morning Star TS-30. It was intended to be a back up to a Morning Star charge controller once I can pick up the TS-30, or similar, and perhaps yet another panel. Based upon the reviews and the cheesy fit and finish, the Renology unit is not in the same league and it would be prudent to have at least two of these, or better yet, a high quality unit in the mail. Get one with a temp sensor so that the charge controller can be mounted inside and monitored, and the batteries will more likely be charged to capacity. Testing with a hydrometer will indicate the actual state of charge, especially if a temperature compensation chart is used to account for very cold temps. A chart can be down loaded.

karl said:
I bought the same panel, 30a pwm controller in the spring for 150. Been charging one group 27 and am real happy with it.

When you guys say "Charging one group 27" or whatever number, do you mean charging 2 of the same batteries?

They are talking about one battery; group 27 is the size of the battery.

I would get the temperature compensated charge controller, the Renology has. It's about $49, the least expensive and it the voltage settings can be altered by the user. Personally I'm going pay a bit more and order the Morningstar Sun Saver Duo. A temperature sensor will let the CC know to adjust the voltage as the battery temperature changes during the seasons. The difference is an increase in voltage is about .017v for every 1 degree decrease in temperature. The increase in voltage, should the temp drop from 80F to 50F (a 30 degree change), is about 1/2 volt, and the increase in voltage needed to charge the batteries fully or at all if the temp drop is from 80F to 20F, is 1 volt. Unless the battery and charge controller are kept inside where the interior temperature is relative stable and around 70F or higher, there is real need for a temperature sensor on your CC. The batteries will have more power to deliver and will last longer.

Latest posts