Reno Carson City Virginia City Cold Springs north Nevada

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wagoneer

Reaction score
Does anyone have some real life boonin' experiences in this area. My interest is based on out of the bay area boondocking with an under 5 hour driving range. Too cold in the winter?

When passing through, I park at the carson city nugget downtown.  RV lot is free for a few days, (ask at security).  Museums and grocery store in walking distance.

Adrian, to answer your question, yes it's too cold in the winter. Snow, wind, ugh!

Beginning to realize this simple fact, it takes energy to stay warm and energy to stay cool, I prefer the energy to stay cool. I knew this all along thanks for making it obvious. Sometimes I need a nudge.

I've been in Reno in the winter. Not the most fabulous place for sure. It can/will snow. Southern NV is a much better place, down near Pahrump (out near Vegas). Or better yet, wander your way down to Quartzite for the RTR!!! :)

With Love,
Tara

Or do like me and spend the winter on the Gulf coast.

There is a bunch of BLM land along 395 going out of Reno up towards Susanville.

I've stayed on some of that BLM land, also the NF just to the left out of Bordertown, you can get nice LTE Verizon at the edges (it goes away quickly).

If you head out towards Winnemucca, you get practically nothing BUT BLM land. Their field office there has always been super nice to me as well.

With Love,
Tara