Registering a van during a MULTI year cross country trip. Please help asap guys!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gilo20

Reaction score
Hi guys,

To make story short. I am in Austin Texas now, looking to get a van like a dodge sprinter/ford transit and convert it later on with a friend in Mexico.
I am an Israeli tourist here with a visa(not a US citizen) and i MUST leave the country in 5 days on March 6th since my visa ends.

I have found a van i want and I have the cash to buy it. I also found out that it is indeed possible for me as a tourist to register the Vehicle here in Texas with no problem(providing I can give address of a friend, which I can, for recieving documents).

My question is, and please answer only from real knowledge and experience:

- After the first year passes and I need to renew the vehicle registration what am i supposed to do if I am in a different country like Colombia or Chille or any other Latin country?????? Re register it there? And repeat the process every year?

I am planning on living in the car with no limits. It can even be 5 years.

Please please help me with the right knowledge. Running out of time here...

Thanks for the helpers so much in advance.

My cell phone is 8452499901. Email: [email protected] 
and you are welcome to call and shed some light on this issue.

Gil.

Guys look carefully at my question please.

I KNOW i can register the car in Texas, I already contacted the DMV.

My question is, what do I do in a year from now when I will be in a different country and the registration will be expired?(I plan to travel to Central and South america, and Im aware of the Darrien gap)

People that do a multi year travel with a van in south america just re-register the car in different country every time?

This isn't an international RV travel forum.
Try Google. 
Horizons Unlimited bulletin board is for world travellers, is one example. Think you might need a Carnet for some countries. And more research, info, preparation.

But there are neighboring States which have multiyear registration - AZ & NM. Others?
TX has online renewal, and with a mail forwarder?

You want to travel across countries/continents and don't know how to deal with your registration even? And leave in five days? And you're in a panic?

Me thinks you should be doing way more research online on those important little details...

With Texas you can renew when you get back to state. I'm not in Texas so i referred you to Excapees. They do it all the time and you will find the information through them. I left money for my brother to renew my Jersey tags while I was gone.

Renew online, have it sent to your mail forwarder, have the mail forwarder forward it to wherever you are, because, you know, other countries have mail and DHL and other types of delivery. Just give yourself plenty of time.

Or have your vehicle registered in a state, like Arizona, that offers multi-year registration.

another point Arizona will register a vehicle for up to 5 years. that's how mine are registered. the more years you register for, the cheaper it is on a per year basis. highdesertranger

Texas or any other US state won't care, or do anything about, an expired registration while you are in another country. Most do offer online or by mail registration renewal. 

For a renewal for Texas plates, you just have to contact the Texas DMV and self-certify that you are out of state, and you won't have to physically bring the vehicle back to Texas to have a vehicle inspection (or smog test) done to renew the registration, but you would still have to be carrying valid insurance to do that. 

It would be up to the country you are in to allow, recognize, or enforce, a US vehicle registration, and that could happen if you were stopped at a border crossing or involved in an accident.

and yet the shadow of the visa and the citizenship remain