Refrigerate after Opening... Lies?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What have you found stays well at room temp?

• Total voters

Redbearded

Reaction score
I've found that for many products there is a requirement for refrigeration after opening, and a lot of them are just trying to cover the manufacturers legally. Which ones have you found that fall into that category?

I've seen that most high acid foods/sauces generally will be fine, though you will not get as good of a shelf life once opened (i.e. don't open something and let it sit for a few years or so and expect it to be as good as if you had refrigerated it...) This is all about managing risks as at some level and with inappropriate care can be dangerous. Though with all the food recalls these days that may not really be an issue, lol.

*disclaimer: I'm not a food scientist, all advice is used at your own risk!

Much depends on the ambient temperature of the space. Some things are OK if it is cool but will not Ok during warm weather.

yea it is more when opened they are subject to 'things that grow' and cold temps stop some growth so......whatever floats your boat. I keep things cold cause that is me :) for most products that 'seem to need it' but everyone do what works for ya'll

^ Yes, product temperature for sure.
Seems like any cantainerd item that is not consumed completely begins to grow a wonderful chemical cocktail of mold if I dare recap and attempt to put it back on the shelf for later use.
The next thing is cross contamination. Using the same knife for mayo after cutting anything contaminates what's in the jar. And that includes that time honored practice of licking the blade. :)

yea licking and re-using.....we humans are worse then animal's mouth they say :)

this time of year(winter) I leave stuff out overnight all the time. but I don't leave it out all the time(year around). mustard, ketchup, salsa, eggs, and pickled stuff I don't refrigerate. now if I am in bear country I don't leave anything out.

when I say out, I mean outside of your vehicle and outside of a refrigerator or cooler.

highdesertranger

beer in a cold creek comes to mind as a safe bet outside sometimes

Mustard didn't use to say refrigerate after opening. I don't think they changed the formula. I only keep it in the fridge as it is the handiest place to store it.

For Mayo I use the squeeze bottles to avoid contamination from "double dipping". Then make sure to keep the squeeze top wiped off and clean.

Cold temps definitely make all the difference with things like onions and potatoes and citrus fruits, all of which can last anywhere from a week to a month or more when it's cold, but go bad within days when it's hot.

With pickles, if I leave them out, they can stay safe but lose their crispness. That may or may not matter to you, but to me it's a big deal. Plus many are simply more fun to eat when at least cool if not cold.

Also, yep on the contamination thing. I find that even pickles, despite all their salt and vinegar, can get mold or other kinds of growths in the jar if I use my fingers rather than a fork or tongs etc. to pick them out. As living beings, we always have living beings living on us, and into the jar they go. Same with drinking directly out of containers of milk or juice, or, say, eating cottage cheese with a spoon directly out of its plastic container and then putting it back in the fridge. Anything live we bring into a food will start to affect it.

The other things I leave out are standard on the table at restaurants: ketchup, mustard, soy sauce, hot sauces, vinegar, and some but not all oils. Some go rancid quicker than others, like sesame, which I fridge, versus the usual cooking oils, which I don't.

And I leave leftover coffee out overnight all the time. Seems fine to me. Also small children and the elderly. Hey, I need my quiet.

Not lies, exactly. But all of the items listed will last a lot longer if they are stored cool.

Also, on eggs - eggs as they come from the hen will keep for a couple weeks unrefrigerated. But washed eggs won't keep that long. How long exactly depends on the temp.

When the indoor temperature is 60 degrees or lower you can leave an opened condensed milk out for about a week before it goes off. I learned that from my former mother-in-law who grew up on a farm, she was also a home-steader in Alaska when she left the farm. Remarkable woman, had all the skills and attitude needed for off grid living (before the era of solar power).

My mother, who grew up in post-war Europe, had the same take on milk. They used to leave it out, and if it went sour, they actually enjoyed it sour. If it turned into curds they would eat the curds.

Back then, though even an egg was an almost unimaginable treat, so they were probably happy to have anything even if it gave them diarrhea later.

Here are some of the ones we don't refrigerate at home. Year round hot, humid tropical climate.

Farm fresh (not store bought) eggs that haven't been washed as well.

Not sure why the image didn't attach. Trying again.

Attachments

• IMG_0550.jpg
    IMG_0550.jpg
    745.1 KB · Views: 19
How do you like that badia sriracha sauce? I only use the rooster sauce and when I can find it cheap crying tiger sriracha from the Philippines I think. It's great but the last time I found it was online only and about $26 a bottle!

I leave my sriracha out but it does tend to get darker in color and a little less flavorful after a few months. (I buy the really big bottles) I also leave out A1 sauce, bbq sauce, mustard, pickles, hot sauces (even marie sharps from Belize that has no preservatives other than lime juice salt and vinegar), HP brown sauce imported from the UK tastes off and changes color slightly after a few weeks left out.

I refrigerate eggs, cheese, dairy, pickled eggs, meat of course, and some veggies.

I haven't carefully traced the decline of sriracha sauce over time, but find it still tastes good as it goes through its color phases. I do make sure to shake it up vigorously every time, because with sauces and things like mustard, it's all too easy to get a thin clear layer on your first squirt and who knows what afterward. And then when you get down to the bottom of the bottle, have a clotted mess that won't move to the tip of the spout.

It's also important not to store anything with volatile oils, or volatility of any kind, over your stove top or oven. People typically store spices and sauces there, but it wears them out.

Latest posts