Reflectix help!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeffsurfs

Reaction score
I’ll try to keep this succinct as I know how much reflectix is beaten to death, but I’ve never heard about my specific installation idea.  I will be paneling my van with solid, thin plywood shoot attached to the metal ribs. These will sit about 1.5” from the outer sheet metal which is sufficient space for a radiant barrier.  Could I simply adhere reflectix to the backside of these panels and then screw them into place? This seems like a very simple solution to generating the radiant barrier and I am looking for the simplest, bare bones insulation possible.  Does this sound like an effective method?  My main concern is if this generates any concern for moisture build up.  However, even if there is moisture build up I question what would truly be effected as my panels will be moisture and mold treated and reflectix itself cannot mold.  Would love to hear from a few with greater wisdom than myself. Thank you!!

no it is best to suspend it with air on each side. It is reflecting the heat that is in the air gap.

If you just want the heat-radiation effect, you could also simply glue any kind of metal directly on the plywood. Could be a layer of tin-foil.

This is done to some of the foam board sheets.

The insulation properties of a material are measured in R value. The setup you describe has almost no R value and you will feel the outside temperature inside your van. 

To add R value to the outside shell of your van you will need to install insulation, for example polyiso XPS or other solid type. It is very cheap, and you will need only one or two sheets for the van. I recomend installing with hot glue or mechanically trapping the insulation under wood sheathing.

Reflectix is a vapor barrier which can still support black mold growth if the surface is contaminated, and has almost no R value.  Reflectix is good to reflect light and heat, and is a helpful filler and sound barrier. 

Regarding air gap as insulation, due to movement and vibration it is not possible to maintain a sealed air gap in the walls of a vehicle. You could use a permanently sealed material such as sealed windows but that would be quite expensive.

Here is a link to current insulation thread on this forum.
https://vanlivingforum.com/showthread.php?tid=41743

~crofter

I agree with the others. reflectix has almost no R-value. If I remember correctly it is like .5 when installed correctly. the polyiso that I used had foil on one side, some has it on both sides. this will give you a radiant barrier and insulation. highdesertranger

Do not just apply any metal to a surface. If the metal gets cold and warm moist air hits it then you could have a significant condensation issue. The micro thin aluminum coating on mylar film over foam or over the layer of plastic air bubbles does not have the same issue as for instance a piece of real aluminum duct tape. That duct tape can get condensation build up on it. Something I have noted early this fall in the damp pacific NW.

Will heat get reflected by metal ...yes
Can that same piece of metal cause condensation issues when the temperature drops...also yes.
That is a big part of why a vapor barrier is important.

Pay attention to what happens in varying conditions all year around when choosing materials for your build.

Has anyone tried the “new reflectix”? It’s new to me anyhow. But I’ve seen that instead of the air bubbles they have a foam core maybe a quarter of an inch thick. I’ve considered buying some and testing it but I haven’t done it yet.

Hey, Nature Lover,
I installed this type of insulation on my wheel wells. I glued it on, and then covered it with carpet.
It makes a huge difference. My wheel wells were very cold to the touch, and now there is no cold coming from them.
You may want to consider it.
It is quite flexible, and has a rubbery foam sandwiched between reflective aluminum  or Mylar.

It is 4ft x 4ft for 20 bucks.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=insulation&ref=nb_sb_noss_1
IMG_20201103_162304294s.JPGIMG_20201103_163208686s.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_20201103_162304294s.JPG
    IMG_20201103_162304294s.JPG
    354.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20201103_163208686s.JPG
    IMG_20201103_163208686s.JPG
    283.6 KB · Views: 7
Looks good I think I will get some. Got to be a better R factor than those plastic bubble things. I think I’ll make my removable small window covers out of this as I already have the big windows covered with inch and a half poly styrene covered in cloth. Otherwise I’m depending on the interior put in by the conversion van builders. No it’s not thick insulation but it helps a little bit and it looks real nice. I really like moving with the weather rather than trying to insulate the van so I can live in a freezing zone. They’re telling me that home in Pennsylvania the temperature is 25° and they have some snow on the ground. And a friend I just visited herein Florida said her parents have 10 inches of snow on the ground in western New York. I know I shouldn’t do it but I have to —- ha ha Ha I am in Florida.