Recommendations for folding bed sectional?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rachel

Reaction score
Hi,

I am new to this forum and have seen people, roll out there bed or use a folding (3 sectional) foam beds. 

I am learning and preparing for a possible living situation in a van or car in the future. 
Since I need a new bed, I would like to buy something I can use, when and if, I move into a van/car.

Any recommendations? 

I have a sleeping bag that is 33 inches wide which I use now and just unzip it and use it as a blanket.  
I am thinking, I may have a bed, that I fold up and put away during the day or like a Murphy bed, that I just unhitch when I want to pull it down to sleep on etc. 

I have spent some time, looking on Amazon, Walmart etc. and looking to see, what van/car dweller's use or recommend.

Thank you,

Rachel

I recommend and use a Thermarest self-inflating backpacker sleeping pad. Not to be confused with an air mattress, these are super tough and have insulation in them to keep you warm. To fill, just open the valve for 10 minutes and it will inflate. If you want it firmer, give it a few puffs in the valve.

To fold it, open the valve and roll it up--packs away to nothing.

They vary in thickness from an inch to almost 5 inches and all are surprisingly comfortable.

akrvbob said:
I recommend and use a Thermarest self-inflating backpacker sleeping pad. Not to be confused with an air mattress, these are super tough and have insulation in them to keep you warm. To fill, just open the valve for 10 minutes and it will inflate. If you want it firmer, give it a few puffs in the valve.

To fold it, open the valve and roll it up--packs away to nothing.

They vary in thickness from an inch to almost 5 inches and all are surprisingly comfortable.

Hey Bob, I'm wondering how long the Thermarest sleeping pads are lasting for you?

LMTLMT said:
I have this and works very well.  Slept in 30 degree weather with the Tri-Fold with 2 sleeping bags (one 4LB fully zipped and one 2LB laid over).

https://www.amazon.com/Merax-Tri-Fo...1489476465&sr=8-23&keywords=tri+fold+bed&th=1

I just bookmarked this...based on the reviews:

Milliard Tri-Fold Foam Folding Mattress and Sofa Bed for Guests or Floor Mat

Same concept, but more and overall better reviews. Thanks for the pointer though!

I've never worn one out so I don't know how long the will last--forever seems to be my answer right now. I've never had it happen, but if they do leak you can get a simple kit and repair the hole.

10 minutes? Um, I may have given my thermarest short shrift, then, mine is the scout, IIRC, and it was not very good, the one time I used it, but I never gave it any 10 minutes, either